Anyone else having fuel injector problems?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RyanRacerX

Anyone else having fuel injector problems?

Post by RyanRacerX »

I drive with a LLLIGHT throttle application and it runs normal and happy.<P>Dip into it and she starts stammering like it throwing a fit.<P>Almost sounds like a fouled plug/dead cylinder sound if that helps. But it has to be an injector since if it were a fouled plug or F'd plug wire than it would be doing all the time....right?
I don't understand what you're saying, so the answer will have to be: Cheese.
maldo

Re: Anyone else having fuel injector problems?

Post by maldo »

does it do it at a specific rpm?<P>Changed your plugs? fuel filter?
chance

Post by chance »

if you think it is an injector, get a stethescope and listen to the injectors when the car is idleing, if you don't here the ticing soung of the injectors firing, get i $2 noid light from any parts store and see if it is an electiral problem.<BR>Hey, maybe some of this will help?
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Also, check your intake hose after you VAF for tears. That will cause a lean out condition for sure.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
jakegaisser

Post by jakegaisser »

Wonder if he ever figured this out. my car Fouls just one of my spark plugs, and has the exact same symptoms.

I have swapped the plugs out, and its always cylinder #5 that fouls.

I have spark at that plug and I even swapped the plug wire for good measure incase it wasn't good enough spark. but that same plug always fouls.

I have done a compression test on the engine and I get between 170-180 on all cylinders.

I have swapped out the PCV valve... even though i figured that was a long shot at best.

I am almost thinking it must be either the Injector for that cylinder, or the head gasket has a VERY slow leak around that cylinder that lets coolant in... or ... I dunno?

It smells very rich when its running.

ALSO when I first start the car, when its still cold... it drives like a CHAMP. but once its gets half way to operating temp.. its all down hill from there and it starts to run like CRAP.

Edit: this post sounds a little similar too: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (so I might try a new Cap, even though this one has very little miles)
Last edited by jakegaisser on March 30th, 2010, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Coleman did a big write up on KLZE swapping. I read it over like 10 times before I started mine.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
jakegaisser

Post by jakegaisser »

Daninski wrote:Coleman did a big write up on KLZE swapping. I read it over like 10 times before I started mine.
huh? :confused2: I am not doing a KLZE swap... I am having trouble getting the STOCK v6 1.8L motor running right.... like the original poster of this thread.

edit: I have however done a KLZE swap on a different unrelated MX-3 for a friend. :mrgreen:
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I'm having similar problems... I believe mine is fuel pump related and/or injectors... I am planning on swapping the fuel pump first to see if it solves the problem then replacing the injectors next...
jakegaisser

Post by jakegaisser »

well like i said... I pull all 6 plugs, and 5 of them look great, nice and tan like they are burning good, but then 1 looks all fouled (wettish fouled)... so know from that, its not the fuel pump, or the problem would be more consistent across all of the plugs instead of just one.

I may try swapping in the spare set of injectors I have. see what that does. If that does not work then I will try a different cap.

then if that dont work I will have to replace the head gasket I suppose... or just get rid of the car.
Muzzled

Post by Muzzled »

this started happening to my gs recently... saturday to be specific. went to meet a girl bout an hour away almost get there and then out of no where it starts.. was around 3k rpm in 5th cruising touched the gas and it chugged.. bogged down a lil... did it again same thing
pulled over turned the car off checked everything over that i could. no vacuum leaks.... turned the car on..... wouldnt start.... kept trying and about 15 mins after itll startup and run fine........

did this again sunday

and twice today , once in the morning after i got into work...
then once on the way home.

its baffling me it happens randomly

my car does run slightly rich
but why does this now begin to happen?
its not a vac leak...

seems like this is happening to alot of people.

and it causes the car to stick at 3k i can predict when its gna chug down... i can idle fine for any random short period of time the idle increases a little.... then a little more then it hits 3k and stays steady

if i lightly push the gas itll go higher rpm and eventually kick out.. but if i do it anymore than that it chugs out and wont start for 15-20 mins.....

is my engine randomly flooding because of this? assuming its a fuel pump if they go can they go both ways? like get stuck open vs being shut off? orrrrrrrrrr is it being choked out tilll the fuel pump decides to work?
92, Gs-Ze. KL31 motor/curve neck IM, Cai,Chipped ecu,awr mounts,clutchmasters stage 2 "R",
Se interior,Wrap around spoiler, oem full sides and MS front bumper :)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

jakegaisser wrote:
Daninski wrote:Coleman did a big write up on KLZE swapping. I read it over like 10 times before I started mine.
huh? :confused2: I am not doing a KLZE swap... I am having trouble getting the STOCK v6 1.8L motor running right.... like the original poster of this thread.

edit: I have however done a KLZE swap on a different unrelated MX-3 for a friend. :mrgreen:
It was just a comment that Coleman has been around for a long time.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
jakegaisser

Post by jakegaisser »

ahhh ok.

Im feelin sick so I probably wont swap out the injectors until tomorrow.
davmac

Post by davmac »

Muzzled wrote:this started happening to my gs recently... saturday to be specific.

is my engine randomly flooding because of this? assuming its a fuel pump if they go can they go both ways? like get stuck open vs being shut off? orrrrrrrrrr is it being choked out tilll the fuel pump decides to work?
This sounds unrelated to the first ancient post. If I read right you have too high idle after the car is warmed up. It also loses power and the engine won't restart as if flooded. The no restart could be fuel or spark related. In any case I think the issue is temperature related.
First make sure you have enough coolant.
Then test the coolant temp sensor.
If you have air in the coolant the temp sensor will read bad and the ecu will send too much fuel. Same thing if the coolant temp sensor is bad.
If coolant is full, no air and the temp sensor seems good then search for distributor issues. The no restart seems like it could be a bad distributor. That is at least a common problem with these cars.
The fuel pump can't pump too much. The fuel pump is basically on or off. The fuel pressure regulator maintains pressure in the fuel rails and the rest recirculates to the tank. The ecu sets the duration of the pulse on the fuel injectors depending on other inputs. Often fuel pumps simply fail - they just stop working. Occasionally the pump fails slowly and might not be able to meet required fuel pressure.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Muzzled

Post by Muzzled »

davmac wrote:
Muzzled wrote:this started happening to my gs recently... saturday to be specific.

This sounds unrelated to the first ancient post. If I read right you have too high idle after the car is warmed up. It also loses power and the engine won't restart as if flooded. The no restart could be fuel or spark related. In any case I think the issue is temperature related.
First make sure you have enough coolant.
Then test the coolant temp sensor.
If you have air in the coolant the temp sensor will read bad and the ecu will send too much fuel. Same thing if the coolant temp sensor is bad.
If coolant is full, no air and the temp sensor seems good then search for distributor issues. The no restart seems like it could be a bad distributor. That is at least a common problem with these cars.
The fuel pump can't pump too much. The fuel pump is basically on or off. The fuel pressure regulator maintains pressure in the fuel rails and the rest recirculates to the tank. The ecu sets the duration of the pulse on the fuel injectors depending on other inputs. Often fuel pumps simply fail - they just stop working. Occasionally the pump fails slowly and might not be able to meet required fuel pressure.

Fixed. .. changed my coolant sensors, ecu and put in a brandspankin new disty runs perrrrfect now hah
92, Gs-Ze. KL31 motor/curve neck IM, Cai,Chipped ecu,awr mounts,clutchmasters stage 2 "R",
Se interior,Wrap around spoiler, oem full sides and MS front bumper :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”