angle/engine issues

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Fragz
antispam: No

angle/engine issues

Post by Fragz »

I went to the store 30min ago and ran in with my car running... the car is on a decent slope up hill in the parking spot......I come out literally 2min later and its idling like a--...so I get in and give it some revs and it just sounds off...big time off. So I shut the car off and try and restart it and it wont turn over...with some pretty violent shaking it felt like too.

So I gave it a few min.....started it again and it started but still sounded majorly off....so I gave it some revs and it backfired like 3 times LOUDLY then died

Could it somehow be flooded due to the angle? (I didnt think this was possible on EFI) or anything else that pops out? we are having a blizzard and it was in the pitch black so I couldnt see much, but everything seemed fine with plug wires/intake etc.
mikeinaus

Re: angle/engine issues

Post by mikeinaus »

did you get it running again? could have sucked up all the crud in the bottom of your tank.
Fragz

Post by Fragz »

nope its still there!....the spots not super steep or anything but its enough.....tank is about 1/2 full......

definitely a fuel/spark/timing issue though....but the distributor didnt move when I checked the plug wires so I doubt its timing (but the way the engine shook when trying to start it almost seemed it)......

Ill have a better look tomorrow if I can borrow a rents car to go look.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Timing belt jumped. If it starts let it idle and check the timing mark with a timing light
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Fragz

Post by Fragz »

whats stock timing on the KLZE anyways?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

10ºBTDC at idle is standard for all A-spec K series engines. I have no reason to think the J-spec K would be different.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Fragz

Post by Fragz »

aight I shall check tomorrow!....hopefully its not that....that'd be a pain!
Fragz

Post by Fragz »

well I went back and went over everything obvious....didnt see anything wrong anywhere......start it up and same crap as last night. It wont idle so I couldnt even try and time it....it just starts....revs go up to 2500-3500 sounds like a--....then dies.......here are some vids via my cellphone of what it does:

first vid is just me starting it without giving it ANY gas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MbXVEfF1YU

second vid is me giving it some gas right before it dies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut4WsO9LnF8
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Sounds kind of like mine sounds when the VAF is unplugged.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Fragz

Post by Fragz »

is the MAF for the KLZE and KL08 the same?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Well I’m not sure exactly what you’ve got going on in your engine bay but if you’re using the MX-3 ECU and its chipped you would be using the MX-3 air flow sensor as well. If you’re using some weird combination of ECU and air flow sensor it could be something else, but the clips you posted made me thing that the intake is the problem.

Did you make sure your intake is not falling off the throttle body or the air flow sensor accidentally got unplugged or fell off or something? Check the TPS connector, the IAC connector, the VAF connector, make sure all the joints of the intake are tight.

It’s getting fuel and spark and the timing is close enough or it wouldn’t rev when you when you hit the accelerator. It’s got to be either an intake problem or something important is broken.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Fragz

Post by Fragz »

Yah I will go back tomorrow since its suppose to be warmer and take all the intake crap apart and put it back together

and Im using the KL36 ECU I do believe......so no idea what MAF the previous owner used to work with that....I didnt do that swap and I havent educated myself as much as I should have on this car just cuz its been a daily driver and not a project haha

for the hell of it I called Mazda to see what a MAF would be from them.....the guys like "ummm are you sitting down?" and he starts laughing....."Well I tripled checked and it would be $1,750.00 and we'd have to get it from Japan".....hahahaha like wtf? thats hilarious
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

You use the JE 50 VAF and there's plenty of those here. Cost including shipping shouldn't be more than $35. Look on the plate on the VAF and it'll say JE 50. the only other one that we use is the KL02 but that shouldn't be on yours only 96-97 models with KLZE
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
SpatialTerror

Post by SpatialTerror »

Daninski wrote:Timing belt jumped. If it starts let it idle and check the timing mark with a timing light
this guy is right.
i would bet money ur timing belt has stretched and jumped a few teeth. stop trying to start it.
your just taking a huge risk.
its alot of work.
but
#1 buy a timing belt. ( its cheap and well worth it)
#2 pull the old timing belt.
#3 when removing the belt dont forget to put a pin in the pusher thing that keeps the pulley under tension (you will regreat it if you forget)
#4 put your number 1 piston at top dead center.
#5 set your cams.
#6 put the belt and tensioner thing back on.
and put back together.
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

You can check to see if the timing belt slipped by putting the disty rotor at #1, and then carefully putting something into the #1 spark plug hole, marking it, and rotating the crank a little each way, to see if your mark is the highest point by seeing if it goes higher, either direction of crank rotation. I'd do this before tearing the timing stuff apart.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”