Post by SpatialTerror »

well i dunno if it will.
but you dont need it.
you just need bigger injectors.
tuneable ecm. (megasquirt)
and afpr.
and if your gonna go turbo.
go dohc.
having a turbo manifold wont really help much becuase of the way manifold vacume system works.
all a turbo dose is force air into the manifold. which in turn gives you boost psi instead of vac psi.
its very hard for me to explain.
but im sure someone else on here can do it alot easier than i can.
for the fact that im still learning turbos.
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: 1.6 sohc turbo

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

:shock:
SpatialTerror wrote:well i dunno if it will.
but you dont need it.
you just need bigger injectors.
tuneable ecm. (megasquirt)
and afpr.
and if your gonna go turbo.
go dohc.
having a turbo manifold wont really help much becuase of the way manifold vacume system works.
all a turbo dose is force air into the manifold. which in turn gives you boost psi instead of vac psi.
its very hard for me to explain.
but im sure someone else on here can do it alot easier than i can.
for the fact that im still learning turbos.
wow, better to give no advice than wrong advice.
The guys who know are avoiding these 3 identical posts. The OP has yet to try to help himself.
MapaX5
antispam: No

Post by MapaX5 »

your question will raise quite the debate.
some people have installed one on their cars, but the miata turbo points the turbo AVOBE the mani, while the FWD mani (albeit custom or the corksport one) should point the turbo UNDER the mani.
there is A LOT! to know about turboing your car.
you need to learn your vehicle BEFORE you can improve upon it.
not telling you this to down you, but as encouragement.
there is ignition, fuel, custom work, fitment issues, ECU mapping, exhaust needs to be worked on, lots of welding, a new clutch, possible tranny swap....and LOTS AND LOTS of downtime.
my personal suggestion, improve your car. start with bolt ons. some suspension, engine work, learn to reach your car's envelope, THEN go and push it.
go to some local autox events. talk to peeps about their turbo cars and the special care they require.
you can't just start a turbo car and take off. you need to let it warm up a lil, also you can't just drive it hard and shut it off and park overnite.
simple things like that will keep you from frying your piston rings and cooking your oil thus messing up your turbine and spending $500 on a turbo rebuild.

like i said....lots and lots of info.
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,
jkbreazeale

Post by jkbreazeale »

... Racing mazda used to provide a kit for our car but I don't think so anymore. Good luck finding a turbo manifold for our b6me. You may be able to beg certain people to part with theirs if by chance they swapped to a BP motor. Otherwise, NOBODY makes it anymore.... it sucks, I know, but haha I've already asked this question!
1993 MX-3 RS (my project car) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3815854 <- Check out my Cardomain!
1995 MX-3 RS (wife's project car)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”