HID color tempuratures

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
mobius

HID color tempuratures

Post by mobius »

Ok so i have some 12k HIDs that i never put in because i liked the 6k temperature then today i put one in out of curiosity,

now 12k should have a kind of purple deep blue color to it shouldn't it? But its installed on the the left and its looks closer to something like an 8k?

And the one on the right is a 6k bulb from the spyder projector group buy for comparison which should be kidna blue shouldn't it?...

Is there a reason for the discrepency between what the manufacturer rates the bulb at and what it actually looks like? Is there something wrong with my wiring? Can the snow just wash the real color out?

Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: HID color tempuratures

Post by Mooneggs »

I agree... the right side looks like 6k (whiter with a slight hint of purple) but that left side could be 12k... they are real close in the 8-12k range... it's really hard to tell in your pic too...

google it :shrug:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&s ... CBoQsAQwAw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

happended to me too ur bulb is f*****!
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Well 4300K is the stock halogen bulb color which is supposed to mimic the sun (sun's temperature is 4300 degrees Kelvin) so 6000K should be pure-white looking and anything hotter than that should be in the blue spectrum.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

could also depend on the wattage of the bulb/ gauge of the power wire.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
mobius

Post by mobius »

So... A couple weeks later most of the snow has melted and I've run the bulb for a while and the cut off has purple in it now but I'm sick of the blue :lol: changed it back to 6k

bulbs are 35w... running it off the stock harness

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”