Mooneggs 92 MX-3 Race Car IP - 2013 in Review

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Mooneggs 1992 mx-3 gs "race car" IP 11/27 update

Post by Mooneggs »

Well I finally got around to doing a few things on the RC...

So I installed my brushed aluminum b-pillar bar from JWMX3 - I am very pleased with the fitment/quality. I won't be able to test it out until I get the car reliable again...

Here are the installation pics - basically I decided to cut a little on the autobelt piece as well as the bar. I wasn't comfortable with shaving off any more of the belt pieces. I also opted to not break the lower clip that holds on the b-pillar plastic so I worked around and behind it.

I had to buy a bolt for each side. I have a full set of 94 belts in storage so I took that bolt to several different hardware stores before I found a suitable bolt. I wanted metric but had to go with standard. The bolt on the left is the original seatbelt bolt - 12mm 1.5 grade 10.9 metric and the bolt on the right is a 7/16-20 x 1" grade 8 bolt. The threads are identical and they went in just fine.

I also swapped rims with the DD since it needs the better rims/tires for the coming race...

I also recently went to the junkyard and got a mint gas popper/hatch popper assembly from a protege... after finding out how easy it is to install I had it done in like 10 minutes... I removed my driver's side chair and pulled up the carpet. I love how much better these look now instead of that ugly yellow and they were a little rusted too :freak:
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Mooneggs 1992 mx-3 gs "race car" IP 2/18 b-pillar bar!

Post by Daninski »

Nothing worst than rusted, sticking gas popper/hatch popper assemblies. The white looks nice too.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

So I started work on my lexan for the CF hatch! I opted to not have mine cut exact to save some money on the cost and I'm very glad that I did since it was cool to trim it myself and really not that difficult. I set the lexan on the ground, then placed the spare glass on top and went all the way around with the dremel. After this I fitted it to the hatch and had to do some additional trimming since it was over the glass (so it was a tad bigger). The forming was pretty close to spec of the OEM glass so I am very pleased.

Basically the next step is to tint the inside of the lexan and then install it onto the hatch with a butyl bead to hold it in place.

Stereoking15 also trimmed his at my house and we fully installed it on his car (no pics). We found the studs were too long on the hatch so they had to be cut. Overall fitment of the hatch seems to be good but not identical to the OEM hatch... more details/pics to come when I install mine...

I also got a set of chrome handles I'm planning on painting black (thanks SuperK). After getting a set of brushed aluminum handles for the DD, I really like how much stronger they feel!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Finally the lexan hatch

:crying:
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

lol yeah like a year and a half later... oh well at least we finally got around to it :D
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

Looks so hot with the cf!
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Re: Mooneggs 1992 mx-3 gs "race car" IP 3/28 CF hatch progre

Post by Mooneggs »

So I had a really hard time trying to figure out what I wanted to do with the lexan in the CF hatch... I basically had 2 options
1. leave it completely clear and paint the edges black
2. tint the inside and put stoneguard on the outside

I decided to not go with option 2 since it would have been about another $300 to get the products and installation done so I went with option 1! I'm glad that I did too since it turned out awesome! I will be looking into some cleaning products that will not damage it as well as some cloths that will not scratch it as bad...

My hatch will weigh more than most since I opted to use the same lexan for the little rear window and I add the GS spoiler back on (which weighs 7 pounds by itself!)

Here's the complete process for my CF Hatch/Lexan project once I had the materials (CF Hatch, Formed Lexan, little window Lexan)
• Cut the Lexan to fit in the hatch (I opted for a cheaper option of doing the trimming myself see post above for pics)
• Install the Lexan into the hatch with a 3/8" bead of window glass butyl adhesive
• Cut the little window Lexan to match the little window glass and install with the same adhesive
• Mark the inside of both pieces of Lexan with a marker around the edges
• Tape off both pieces of Lexan and spray with low gloss black plastic paint (this will protect the adhesive from drying out prematurely and also give the pieces a finished look)
• Drill the holes for the GS spoiler and install it
• Remove all tape and outer protective layer on the Lexan
• Install latch onto the CF hatch
• Install on car

With Spoiler

I did install it on the car before I put the Lexan in, and it fit well but seemed like 1/8" to 1/4" too short (near the taillights)... I may be able to expand the holes in the hinges to give myself a little bit of play but I'm not sure yet

Here's a pic of Stereoking15's installed:

The next time I have a race I will be testing it out (or maybe sooner) so I'll take many more pics once I actually have it installed on the car.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Whoah, dude. It looks awesome! I can't wait to get mine on!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

I agree with jesse, it looks nice and clean I just wish I had the funds for one myself :D
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

Hella Kool :love:
Dominic Toretto's whip is a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"
My work log http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=72471
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Looks sick with the CF spoiler too. Great job. :welder:
Oscar really did a great thing with those hatches.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Re: Mooneggs 1992 mx-3 "race car" IP 4/11 RS Spoiler, Seats

Post by Mooneggs »

So last week I went up to Seattle to pick up some SE front and rear seats as well as a bonus of a set of SRD gauge overlays and an RS raised spoiler.

I installed the SE seats in the DD but then I moved the old leather seats to the race car. I also installed the RS spoiler but I am waiting to figure out if I am going to use the SRG gauges yet. Maybe once I get some pillar gauges I'll see if white is the way I want to go.

I took apart both of the old leather chairs and tightened up all the bolts, etc. On the driver's side I installed an entirely new frame since the old one was rusted. I didn't have a new passenger side frame so that will stay rusted for now until I can find a new one. I also transferred new spring and installed new hog rings so the chair is more supportive and tighter now.

I also sprayed my new A Pillars black.
Muzzled

Post by Muzzled »

mmm sexy :)... the car...not you moon :D
92, Gs-Ze. KL31 motor/curve neck IM, Cai,Chipped ecu,awr mounts,clutchmasters stage 2 "R",
Se interior,Wrap around spoiler, oem full sides and MS front bumper :)
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

:shock: Where did those guages come from- I was not aware that Luke ever made guage faces... How do they look at night? pics
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

yeah I had never seen the gauges before... apparently the SE I got it from was active on the forum a looooong time ago... anyways whenever I get around to it I'll take them apart to see what they look like. They are NOT indiglo so I'm guessing they use the stock lighting... I just like the fact that they are basically OEM only white :shrug: (and uber rare of course :mrgreen: )

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”