Power Steering Pump Removal Belt Routing?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nerd racing
Supporting Member

Power Steering Pump Removal Belt Routing?

Post by nerd racing »

I am in the process of installing a KLDE in my 95 Ford Aspire (yes I am crazy, and yes I got tired of the BP that was in it) and I want to remove the power steering pump all together because it is interfering with my unibody (go figure right!).

I read the power steering removal how to thread a few times and can not seem to find a proper solution, so far all I have seen is that the pump was removed and the belt was replaced with a 28.5" dayco belt. I am thinking this was for the 4cyl guys maybe? I can't see how I can route the tensioner so that I can still run my water pump.

Would someone be willing to post a picture, or even describe to me how they were able to remove the pump? Right now I just gutted the pump, but I would like the added clearance, without hacking up my unibody further.

Thanks,

Aaron
nerd racing
Supporting Member

Re: Power Steering Pump Removal Belt Routing?

Post by nerd racing »

nvm, I found an idler with ribs that will work perfect instead of the smooth one and I'll just wrap it around it.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

i know you said you read this, but i really think that it would be easier to switch to a manual rack rather than just getting rid of your PS pump and stuff

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=65960" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nerd racing
Supporting Member

Post by nerd racing »

my car came stock with a manual rack my friend. 5 speed Ford aspires never had power steering. The KLDE has the pump but I don't need it.
nerd racing
Supporting Member

Post by nerd racing »

thanks for the attempt though.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

lol, for some reason i totally ignored the fact it was being put in an aspire, actually, re-reading the whole thing i realize that if i had read it properly i wouldn't of even posted anything cause i have no idea about any of this, sorry XD
nerd racing
Supporting Member

Post by nerd racing »

its all good man, found a setup I like and man the engine fits like a glove in there, one you get it down past the radiator support.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I didnt have to change any pulleys, I just used a pulley "bacwards to the belt" and its been fine for over a year now.

losing that power steering was the best thing I could have done.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”