Sputtering While Under Hard acceleration?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Sputtering While Under Hard acceleration?

Post by Dali »

i use a good ol roll of black electrical tape and wrap the whole ridged peice 2-3 times really tight and overlap 1/2 on each pass. as well i don't bolt the airbox back on since the motor rocks back and forth so much and if the airbox does not move this put's strain on the old intake rubber. I heard someone used silicone on theirs and a chunk fell off inside the intake pipe....never heard if any damage occured or not or how far it made it into the intake manifold?
1993 White gs klze.
grimsby3

Post by grimsby3 »

Well, I've attempted making a collage of electrical tape, duct tape, then an electrical/duct tape mix, and it still didn't seem to help that much, that being said I did this with the tube still in the car, so maybe if i took it out I could do a much more thorough job, who knows. But yeah, I was going to try an adhesive filler but I'd constantly be worried about it getting sucked into the intake and my engine going bye bye so, unless I can find one thats fat and sticky enough not to fall in, I`d rather not haha
'95 MX-3 Precidia V6 1.8L, Sony Stereo Deck, 12" MTX Sub w/500 Watt Amp KLZE Swap In the Future!!
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

remove the intake tube from the car and take it inside, clean it thourughly and dry it off. Use an adhesive silicone open the crack up as much as possible and fill the crack in with the silicone, if its a really large crack use a backing material like duct tape on the inside of the pipe, allow it to sit and dry overnight reinstall the next morining. An adhesive silicone or at least a good 1 will never get sucked into the intake there is not enough suction on gods green earth that will pull that into the intake if its a good adhesive silicone, I used windsheild adhesive silicone to do my buddies and that was 4 years ago and he is still using it. (he is a cheap lil bugger who would rather ghetto it than fix it)
grimsby3

Post by grimsby3 »

Actually, go figure the first auto wreckers that I try locally today had the exact same model, same engine etc., (just only automatic) as mine and go figure, the tube looks like its brand new. So, needless to say I grabbed it out of the scrapped car and went to work putting it into mine, sad part is; it still had the same problem after I installed the new-ish intake. Luckily for me though while I was at the scrapyard I noticed the plug wires that were in the old car seemed semi-newish. I install those (after I installed the intake) and bingo bango the problem went away. Sooo, long story short, I pretty much wasted 50 bucks on an intake and wires when I could've just bought brand new wires and fixed the problem there. Anyways, it feels so good to be able to put my foot to the floor and actually go somewhere at a decent rate, given I'm still rockin the 1.8 lol :) but thank you for the help everyone, kinda sucks that it was such an easy fix and that I didn't even try the wires cause a buddy looked at them and said "nah, they're fine" lol
'95 MX-3 Precidia V6 1.8L, Sony Stereo Deck, 12" MTX Sub w/500 Watt Amp KLZE Swap In the Future!!
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

lol you can't tell the condition of the wires by looking at them, thats like looking at a dirty engine and saying its crap and looking at a clean 1 and saying its good to go. Proper testing is the only true way to tell these things.
grimsby3

Post by grimsby3 »

Haha true-say. Although I learned this the hard way I'm pretty sure he was just looking at the insulation and coming to that conclusion
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

To a degree, always to a degree.

If the insulation is peeling and cracked, and the boots are torn or missing, you know they're bad. You can't say you "can't tell"

Same as if the clean or dirty engine has a charred exhaust mark out the side of the head
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

to a degree yes you have to use some common sense but I have seen things that look ready to die be perfectly fine especially with electronics. A clean abused engine is worse than a dirty well looked after mechanically engine. I have seen lots of polished turds out there for cars, you just have to use your common sense or at least some mechanical knowledge to differentiate.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

^ Haha "polished turd" good one! :lol:
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

** takes a bow ** prime example when I was not sure if it would be economically feasible to repair the body on my mx-3 I went shopping here for another one. I had found a pretty rough little 4 banger mx-3 for $500, it needed a lot of work, and I do mean a lot. Both cosmetically and mechanically. The dude and I settled on the price and I was going to pay him 2 days later, on the day of pickup I got a call from him saying that some dude gave him $600 and he sold it to him. I was a lil miffed but I could not blame the guy cash is cash. I saw if on kijiji a few months later in nearly the same condition for $2000, lol. All the guy did was replace the handle that was missing on the passenger door, add a few neon lights and a cd player. He did not repair the front bumper which was missing nearly 1/4 of the lower left side, the big a** dent by the handle, repair the intake tube, flush the brake fluid , replace the bald tires, shot brakes, badly corroded battery terminals, loose wiring, torn up interior, and do a decent tune up. I had to email him out of interest in being a s--- disturber and told him that I was going to buy the car for $500 and that he got ripped off and that the car was in terrible cosmetic and mechanical condition and that I hoped he had done some work on it if he was asking for $2000, to which he responded callling me a d**k and that I obviously had no idea about car customizing or mechanical knowledge and that I had no idea what the car was worth. I found this most amusing, and replied that I would be happy to show him my papers verifying that I do indeed have mechanical knowledge and that my car is proof that I know how to fix a car properly as well as make it look good overall. I assume that some poor sap bought it or he held onto it afterward since I have not seen it on kijiji afterward, it was on there for a good time with lots of ppl looking but anyone who knows anything about cars would have run in the other direction for the asking price lol.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”