Sputtering While Under Hard acceleration?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
grimsby3
antispam: No

Sputtering While Under Hard acceleration?

Post by grimsby3 »

Hey, so I have a '95 V6 mx-3 GS, standard, stock motor (klze somewhere in the future) but here's the thing; when I put my foot to the floor or accelerate quickly in any gear, the motor starts sputtering and you can actually feel the car 'give up'. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or has dealt with this before

There's a few things bouncing around my head; dirty throttle body, crappy spark wires, catalytic

Helppp:(
'95 MX-3 Precidia V6 1.8L, Sony Stereo Deck, 12" MTX Sub w/500 Watt Amp KLZE Swap In the Future!!
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: Sputtering While Under Hard acceleration?

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Oooo grimsby in ontario? Could be the things you mentionned, plus I would check for vacuum leaks and a clogged fuel filter.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
grimsby3

Post by grimsby3 »

Yah, grimsby, ontario your from toronto?
Hmm, yeah I gotta check for a few things but its freakin cold and i dont have a garage I can just park it and spend a day tinkering and stuff haha that and i dont have a jack:(
'95 MX-3 Precidia V6 1.8L, Sony Stereo Deck, 12" MTX Sub w/500 Watt Amp KLZE Swap In the Future!!
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

LoL tools are definitely important if you plan on doing mechanical work. Joe (JWMX3) is really close to you as is Matt (projectzemx3), it's nice to see a new local (somewhat) member.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
grimsby3

Post by grimsby3 »

I know matt actually, he's given me tips before and let me take his car for a spin, instantly after I took it out I knew i need a klze lol
I have the tools except the jack and stands, and the know how to check a few things haha
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Hydraulic jacks don't work in -5 or lower. Fluid freezes. Trust me, its a super pain.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
davmac

Post by davmac »

It sounds like the engine is misfiring when under load. I’m assuming the engine idles smoothly. Thankfully you don't have to jack up the car to do a basic ignition tune up - which is what you should do if it has been a long time. Distributor cap, rotor, plugs and plug wires. If all that stuff has recently been replaced then my guess is that your cat is plugged. The problem is that you can’t see a plugged cat. Usually you arrive at that by eliminating other causes of misfire. I do feel sorry for you working outside in the cold. Good luck with the repair.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
grimsby3

Post by grimsby3 »

Thanks for the heads up Ryan haha that would've been a fun... activity I'm sure. Once I get a bit more money I'll have to start eliminating ignition possibilities, I replaced the plugs recently but nothing else since I've bought it in august, I'm sure its well overdue considering the engine has over 300,000km on it :(
davmac

Post by davmac »

Plug wires would have been my first guess. When they get old the insulation breaks down and can cause some misfires. New plug wires for a V6 are expensive, but you can find some good ones used at salvage yards or someone parting a car on this site or similar forums. Remember the Probe and MX6 use same plug wires if you go looking at used.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Check the plugs too.

Plug wires are not that expensive.. just ask for the wires on a 93 probe gt v6. I dont know why they are cheaper.

Check out probetalk, I bought a set of msd 8 mm wires for 65 dllrs shipped next to new.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
MX3-4U2NV

Post by MX3-4U2NV »

lack of fuel?
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

A plugged cat could also be the culprit. I just swapped one out because of that. If you knew someone at a Clean Air test facility they could do a "gas check" and that would give you an idea of how your cat is performing. The guy I go to will do that for me for free. :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Go under hood and while it's idling pull throttle cable and see if your vris actuators are working/opening.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
grimsby3

Post by grimsby3 »

I've been told its my intake, theres a crack in the accordian tube (rubber tube connecting from air box to throttle body) thing of it is, apparently they're hard to come by where I live so if anyone has one laying around or know of an autowreckers where I could grab one (i dont care if its just gonna crack a couple months from now, I need something until I can get an actual intake) please let me know, willing to pay for it
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

Seal the crack with adhesive silicone for a temporary fix, its felxible enough at lower temps to seal it for now while you get a cold air intake to replace the factory intake. The cold air intake is cheaper and easier to come by than a stock tube thats in good shape unless you have tons of scrap yards around that have some.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”