Off-Topic Discussions
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: Help me with some ricer math

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

naw, they're too heavy. And a domestic.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

No man, 205hp at the crank, not wheels. Stage1 added 30hp, stage 2 added 47hp and 30ft-lbs of torque. Stage 3 w/a 50-shot makes 248hp w/93 octane

Curb weight upto 3001lbs
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cobaltss.com/forums/archive/ ... t-577.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and take a look at the video.... says even at the bottom of screen 219whp stock for a cobalt ss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHg1hiHMFVA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so tell me then... ive seen many STOCK SC cobalts at the track and trapping like 99-100mph.... so take in your 3100lb u just said with only 205 supposed horses at the crank.

now pretty much every GOOD running ze (which is rare) have trapped at most 99mph and are trannies are short geard minimal drivetrain loss and are cars weigh in at what 2500-2600 pounds? and most of us have already ripped some s--- out of are cars to make it lighter.

so how do you explain a car that weighs 600 pounds more with a tranny that is longer geard with the same power output trap 99-100mph which is the same as a good running ze??

take in an srt4... it weighs like a cobalt.... about same gearing.... are you telling me that an srt has only 205 horse at the crank? i think not!!! its been proven time after time that the srt has made 240whp stock and are rated to do 100-101mph in the quarter... pretty dam near identical to the cobalt huh?

so if you search around you will in fact see cobalts making anywhere from 210-225 whp BONE STOCK!! gm UNDER RATED the power output of the cobalts.

all you people can hate on the cobalt all you want but it still does NOT change the fact its a shittier car then the mx3!! how many mx3 you see aorund making 600 or even a fully built race only KL enigne making 1200hp??? huh? huh? NONE go look at lisa kubo or gary gardella.

remember when these guys are running 7's in the 1/4 mile or ppl making 600h daily driving cobalts and dominating at the local autocross track ur mx3's are just rotting to s--- and dropping valves
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

2005 - 2007:
2.0 L Ecotec LSJ S/C I4, 205hp/200lb-ft

2008 - Present:
2.0 L Ecotec LNF Turbo I4, 260hp/260lb-ft
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

So there you go, a KLZE should take a SC Cobalt and I'm sure a turbo KLZE could take the turbo Cobalt too. Note that those are the stock specs and that's hp at the crank, not at the wheel. And I'm NOT impressed with the SRT-4 at all! If 230hp is the best you can squeeze out of a 2.4L turbo engine then maybe the SRT team needs to retire. Look at the Mazdaspeed3 - a 2.3L Turbo making 263hp!
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

your so lame how much proof u need??? the turbo cobalt is also at the f---ing WHEELS and the SC is at the WHEELS look at stupid specs online all u want.. why dont u look at dyno graphs? go post on cobalt forums for proof? jeez ur hard headed arent ya? not impressed with srt cuz 230hp is all they can squeeze out?what kinda comment is that? i guess people that are making 500, 600 or even 800 swapped out a different engine eh? id like to u see take on an srt from a dead stop or even a roll... there is no doubt it will beat u by a cupple car lengths STOCK.

wooo look at the mazda 3!! show me a mazda 3 that is consistently beating on the srt4 neon!!!!! jeez i went to a cscs track day and had at LEAST 10 mazdaspeeds running down the 1/4 and i was whooping the s--- out of them all day they were trapping like friggen 95mph how sad... i guess dodge again outdid them with the design a lil bit less power then the mazda and the srts are still killin them LOL

cobalt 210-220 whp stock at the wheels!

srt 240ish at the wheels stock!!

just like i said how in the world can a car that has 600 pounds more a-- to haul through a longer geard tranny with the same amount power as a ze still click off the same traps and times? well if thats the case i guess GM did a better job than ur little mazdas ur driving around on designing a car a fatter, heavier car to click off the same times..

friggen hard headed people... im giving straight facts and truth and all people ever do is argue against.
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

maybe ur the one who should retire cause you dont know what the hell your talkin bout lol
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:So there you go, a KLZE should take a SC Cobalt and I'm sure a turbo KLZE could take the turbo Cobalt too. Note that those are the stock specs and that's hp at the crank, not at the wheel. And I'm NOT impressed with the SRT-4 at all! If 230hp is the best you can squeeze out of a 2.4L turbo engine then maybe the SRT team needs to retire. Look at the Mazdaspeed3 - a 2.3L Turbo making 263hp!

Are you f---ing stupid. fieromx3 went on a rampage posting up spec and times on the Balt SS and you come in and say "there you a KLZE should take a Cobalt SS" please explain to me where you find that because the math and common sense factor just doesn't add up.

And yes the Cobalt SS and the Neon SRT4 were all power at the wheels. I remeber when both those cars came out and were in all Motor Trend, Road & Track and they all claimed it was at the wheels. Go on srt4 forums and read people who are dunning there cars on teh dyno and making 240-250whp with no mods. Thats because Chrysler made them like that. And please don't tell me oh the Mazdaspeed3 makes 263hp why can't dodge do better out of the 2.4L. First off the Mazdaspeed3 is 263 at the crank. I like that car alot and believe it has alot of potential if it doesn't blow up before it makes 300whp. But I have driven them and there a piece of s--- and run slower times than my klze mx3. They are just NOT quicker than a SRT4. Its common sense as well.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

and For the record I absolutly love my klze mx3 and I will admit it is close to a Balt SS but it doesn't beat it. You guys on this forum are so hard up on klze is the motor of all power.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

mx3autozam wrote: But I have driven them and there a piece of s--- and run slower times than my klze mx3. They are just NOT quicker than a SRT4. Its common sense as well.
You must have one freak klze then because speed3's run 13.8 -14.1 stock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C55enGBsZoU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xumk_VbvcNM
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

maybe I had a little bit of sarcasm there. but all the ones I have seen run in person were like 14.7 at 95mph. My car can do better than that.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
MX3-4U2NV
antispam: No

Post by MX3-4U2NV »

Just to help you guys out some, I called a couple friends of mine.

Some of you don't know, but I was the original webmaster, and co-founder of the Ontario Cobalt Club. We threw many Dyno-days every year. I was employed with a company that all they did were Cobalt aftermarket performance parts. I have some of the work on my Fiancee's Cobalt right now.

I can testify that the Cobalt SS, WAS making 230hp AT THE WHEELS. I've known this well before I made the original post. I was mainly looking for an answer on paper. Two cars, with those specs, who would win? On paper, the KLZE. But in real life, the Cobalt, due to the fact that GM did indeed under rate the cars on paper, to help with whatever reason they have.

So, we can keep arguing about the inevitable here, or not. But this sure has made for some fun reading.

And if it helps anymore, the SRT4 does spank a Cobalt, stock for stock. The Cobalt guys have weekly meets, and whenever a SRT4 rolled in to the Tim Horton's parking lot, pretty much every Cobalt driver said if they lost their Balt, they would go with the SRT4. We had an SRT4 friend, who was pushing 400ish HP just from Chrysler's stage kits.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

MX3-4U2NV wrote:...how many pounds equals horsepower. Something like 10lbs = 1hp sounds familiar.
Is this some kind of new physics I wasn't informed of? I go to all the meetings...I read all the memos...???
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MX3-4U2NV
antispam: No

Post by MX3-4U2NV »

It comes down to the weight of your vehicle. two cars, same engine, one weighs more than the other. Obviously the heavier car will lose, due to weight. Every time it sheds a pound, the horsepower it already has becomes more useful.

Which is why some use that theory that shedding 10lbs in the vehicle is "like" gaining a hp at the wheels. Of coarse that's while rolling, because on a dyno it wouldn't make a difference.
wytbishop wrote:
MX3-4U2NV wrote:...how many pounds equals horsepower. Something like 10lbs = 1hp sounds familiar.
Is this some kind of new physics I wasn't informed of? I go to all the meetings...I read all the memos...???
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Note to self...subtle humor...a little too subtle.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “Off-Topic”