wiring for gauges

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
96chris
antispam: No

wiring for gauges

Post by 96chris »

hey im tring to wire in the power wire for my new gaudes i bought and i cant find the wire that is the power to the original lights. there are 3 clips that plug into the back of the entire cluster unit.. 2 white ones and one black one. i found out that one of the wires that is in the black clip powers the original lights in the cluster. (by plugging in each one and seeing which one made them work) do you know where i could find out which dam wire it is?? i really need to get this done so i can drive lol
96 RS DOHC
-lowered
-glow gauges
96chris

Re: wiring for gauges

Post by 96chris »

Anyone!?
96 RS DOHC
-lowered
-glow gauges
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I would wire them into the dimmer, on the left side of the dash behind the wheel. Get a fricken multimeter from where-ever and test each wire to see which one gives u 12v of power, use that wire.
96chris

Post by 96chris »

so there mill be multiple wrirs that go into the dimmer, and wire it into one of those? why wouldnt i wire it into the wire that powers the main bulbs??
96 RS DOHC
-lowered
-glow gauges
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Don't question the man who is answering your question. If you know what you want to do, do it, and don't ask.

The dimmer has a 12v, a ground, and obviously, the output from the dimmer to the dash harness. You can either put your gauges on the 12v wire for constant power, or put it after the dimmer, and maybe ruin the gauges (LED, incandescent, or ??? backlight, or powersource)

The main reason to put it in the dimmer circuit is so you don't have to tool around with a switch so it doesn't drain your battery, because the dimmer is worked into the ignition.

Oh, I just re-read your post. Put your cluster back together, and wire it to the dimmer switch, not the cluster. Silly head.

If these are gauge faces, like fuel/temp speedo and tach, remove the stock bulbs. Don't need them, and it should level out the load on the circuit.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

96chris wrote:so there mill be multiple wrirs that go into the dimmer, and wire it into one of those? why wouldnt i wire it into the wire that powers the main bulbs??
Yea, the dimmer is optimal as it goes on with the lights, which is when you want your gauges to light up right? This is where I hooke dup both of my AEM digi gauges and I didnt have issues.
96chris

Post by 96chris »

the gauges come with its own dimmer.. should i just scrap that dimmer and just use the one thats in my car?
96 RS DOHC
-lowered
-glow gauges
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I'm going to assume that you have some ebay guages. I thought they came with very clear instructions, but...

Do not scrap that dimmer, it isn't the same at all. The ebay guages don't work on straight 12VDC. They have a power source. They must be used seperately, do NOT try and integrate them by cutting and splicing wires that you're not meant to.

Here it is, nice and simple.

Remove the dimmer switch (that fun rolly wheel on the left of the steering wheel that makes all the lights change brightness)
Take the clip out of the back, it should be 3 whole wires. One is ground, one is +12V and one is the output to the dash harness(maybe 5-12v depending on position).

Discover these with a multimeter, or looking in online manuals http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/index.php?f ... 0Manual/Z/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tap into the +12V one (keep original circuit though) as the main power for the ebay gauges. Set the powersource somewhere (so it doesn't rattle around), and ground its ground wire somewhere (doesn't matter, ground is ground)

Install the gauge faces, and run those wires back to the powersource (clip connectors?) while you're installing, remove bulbs from the dash. Just the illumination lights, not the dummy lights.

Put everything back together, connect everything, and use the dimmer that comes with the powersource to change new gauge brightness. Use the stock dimmer to change the HVAC brightness.

/End

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Yes and since it's going up to a scortching +4 tomorrow you'll enjoy working outside for a change. :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
jon_young

Post by jon_young »

or you could drop the wires down to the light on the cig lighter! then you have a 12v and a 0v simple cut and test only 2 wires connect them in and enjoy
96chris

Post by 96chris »

so for the cig lighter its only 2 wires,, one 12v and one 0v. splice into the 12v wire and attatch my red power wire into it, the grond the ground
96 RS DOHC
-lowered
-glow gauges
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Why don't you just do it properly... I'm done with this thread.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
jon_young

Post by jon_young »

i find it safer that way easyer to get to, and less wires to risk snagin or breaking
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

On all of those dangerous, hot, moving parts back there.... oh wait, the cig lighter DOES get hot :roll:

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”