rear disc brake conversion (GS to RS)

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
MapaX5
antispam: No

rear disc brake conversion (GS to RS)

Post by MapaX5 »

Ok, so I browsed all over and didn't find anyone who had done this. Did find articles with pros/cons of doing the rear disc-brake conversion to an RS, but no one posting they did it themselves.
Tomorrow I'm going to the local j/y and pulling all the necessary parts, along with a bunch of pics and would like the mods support un makin this an FAQ.
Here's what I'm pulling:
Rear spindles, brake lines, calipers, front brake booster and master cylinder, and the e-brake lines.
The question: most drums use diff e-brake lines than calipers, is this the case here?
Will post tomorrow and should have it installed by wed, if Murphy doesn't stop by.
Any inputs are appreciated. Constructively! I don't care to kno if you did it and your wheels look funky or anything stupid.
Thanks!
And wish me luck!
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,
umcamara
Supporting Member

Re: rear disc brake conversion (GS to RS)

Post by umcamara »

There are actually quite a few posts on this.

Don't forget the proportioning valve.

And good luck getting the rear spindles off at the J/Y if you live in a corrosive environment. That long bolt that goes through the lateral links and spindle is not comin out. True story.

Better off just removing the four bolts and swappin the entire rear sub-frame.

*Edit* Now that I see you live in Florida, that may not be an issue...
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Swapping the entire rear end may just be the way to go. I hate frigging with brake assemblies.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MapaX5

Post by MapaX5 »

yeah, i thought about that. they want ~$250 for the rear end, or ~$100 if i take the spindles off. but thanks for the inputs! those are the kind of posts i wanted. 8)
i thought you could just unbolt the hub and replace the hub? that's how i did my '01 Eclipse GS. you reach behind the spindle, unbolt 4 17mm bolts, and the whole assembly comes off.
well, that's the whole purpose of this thread, if it becomes an FAQ, next time someone wants to do it, they can follow our advise.
Thanks again.
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,
MapaX5

Post by MapaX5 »

Ok, so i went to the j/y yesterday, along with my gf's dad and he pointed out the same thing i was advised here... losen up the front trailing arm, unbolt the 4 14mm bolts that hold the rear end, and drop it off as one piece.
i didn't listen, and now i need new endlinks. :x
on the other hand, it will make it easier for the other readers.
i took detailed photos, just don't know how to post them on here...
advise:
buy new rotors, pads and possibly calipers. mine were rusted shot, and one rotor literally cracked while trying to take it off. you will also need the e-brake lines as drums use different setup.
this is the time to clean everything, and if you're like me, paint your calipers, wether for rust protection or just for looks. it's much easier now.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Calipers are expensive. Just rebuild yours as long as the piston walls aren't pitted. It's usually just one seal, dust boot and clip. Just apply air pressure to force the piston out
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MapaX5

Post by MapaX5 »

well, it's also missing the spring that keeps the caliper from gettting stuck after you pull the e-brake.
also, the e-brake cables off this car, per mazda, are unique to this car. i have pulled about 4 different sets off other mazdas and will post pics of the differences as well.
thanks!
NewMx6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by NewMx6 »

I will be doing this soon, when i get to it i will post a DIY.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”