RE-BUILD AND TURBO'D

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Finch
Supporting Member
antispam: No

RE-BUILD AND TURBO'D

Post by Finch »

Alright so ive been putting alot of thought into which route i wanna go with my engine upgrade. and after READING alot of stuff on this forum, it seems the bp is a very simple but good route to go... however, in the past week or so i started thinking.. what if i just completely rebuild my 1.6, beef everything up in that engine and slap a turbo in... i really dont see why that engine couldnt be fast... as of right now my engine screams, and seems to love it.. lol.. anyways my car is being drivin for one more winter, than next fall im going to take it off the road and do something with the engine. so im trying to come up with a good plan for it well in advance.
----"A Real Car has 3 Pedals"----

2007 Satin White Pearl Subaru Wrx 2.5L
2007 Blue Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5I Special Edition - Sold
1996 Black Mazda MX-3 RS - Sold for Part
Mx3Kid16

Re: RE-BUILD AND TURBO'D

Post by Mx3Kid16 »

wayyyyyy cheaper to just do the swap. than you can get the bp-t and you will be flyin.
CF Hood, Kenwood everything, 2.25 catback exhaust, H&R Springs, F&B Strut bars

My worklog: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=68856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good afternoon from the biggest Douch around;D
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

In all honesty, this site does have a 'holy grail' syndrome. wraparound spoilers, GS lips, KLZE, BP(T)....

There's nothing wrong with boosting the B6. It also did come factory with a turbo, as well as it was in the miatas, so internals won't be hard to find.

get a budget, get a goal, and then get a shopping list. The rest after that is easy.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
jkbreazeale

Post by jkbreazeale »

Ha! Unless you are like me who have aspirations to boost a b6-me, then that holy grail owns you.
1993 MX-3 RS (my project car) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3815854 <- Check out my Cardomain!
1995 MX-3 RS (wife's project car)
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

boost the B6 if it's a OBDII. I would not worry about the internals, unless you do something stupid, they should be fine.
Finch
Supporting Member

Post by Finch »

yea, well im thinkin about just rebuilding everything and building it to handle a turbo... im not looking to have an insaine fast mx-3.. i just wanna be able to take it to the drag strip and not get killed by a civic.. lol

RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

as long as your compression tests ok... I would not worry about the stock internals. I've boosted my 96B6, stock block. I plan on having around 200 at the wheels. The loose end may come down to the F series tranny. I don't know if I'll track the car or not. It's more about the fun and work, not partaking in a pissing contest afterwords. I babied the car before boost and plan to do the same every time I take her out.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

My b6 took alot of abuse and held up perfectly fine, the clutch/tires not so much.
Turbo the b6 run a decently sized turbo and spend some money on a good engine management setup.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
Finch
Supporting Member

Post by Finch »

well im not to worried about burning tires... and i have a stage 2 exedy clutch, im just not really sure how much abuse the stock tranny can take...

RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Where did you get an exedy stage 2 for the 1.6? All I can find for an exedy clutch is an OE replacement.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Finch wrote: im just not really sure how much abuse the stock tranny can take...
What are u worrying about its not like your making 250+whp. As long as you will not be crazy enough to be constantly peel out, popping ur clutch at lets say 5000-6000 RPMS to show off (Honda guys). Doing excessive extreme acceleration on a daily basis than yes you would know how much abuse the f-series transmission can handle until its demise.

The F-series trans can handle punishment from time to time but not on a daily basis or weekly track abuse. The f-series weakest point is its open diff I have blown several f-series diff at the track off the line again weekly track abuse on my part i knew it would happen. (The slicks, extreme ACT clutch and hard launching where also factors to the diff.) The axles can handle more abuse than the open diff. Next weakest point is 3rd and 5th gear but in my opinion if ur not making in excess of 250+whp that u have nothing to worry about.

From what i have read on what u want to do you don't seem like ur after a ton of power. SO with what u want to do as long as ur take care of what u have engine & trans wise u will be fine.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Finch
Supporting Member

Post by Finch »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:Where did you get an exedy stage 2 for the 1.6? All I can find for an exedy clutch is an OE replacement.
i found the clutch on kijiji.. some guy was selling it in a private sale.

RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

you sure it's a stage 2? did you have part numbers?
As per Exedy's web site, it does not exist for the B6.
Finch
Supporting Member

Post by Finch »

i actually didnt really look into it at the time... didnt really second guess it because i didnt know they didnt have a stage 2 for it.. i had the clutch put in professionally and they didnt give me the box back for it i kind of wish i could look into it now.

Finch
Supporting Member

Post by Finch »

nos92mx3 wrote:My b6 took alot of abuse and held up perfectly fine, the clutch/tires not so much.
Turbo the b6 run a decently sized turbo and spend some money on a good engine management setup.
do you know even roughly how much power your pushing with a turbo'd b6?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”