Tranny stuck in 3rd

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
mx3_aruba

Tranny stuck in 3rd

Post by mx3_aruba »

hi all..

i have a 92 GS, and for a couple of months now i've been heaving lots of problems getting it into 3rd gear (especially at low RPMs).. also ive been hearing this strange knocking noise coming from under the hood when i'm driving (not when the engine is idling).. a month ago when i was going to work, i shifted from 2nd to 3rd, then when i shifted from 3rd to 4th, it got stuck in 3rd.. the shifter shifted easily into 4th, but the gear was still in 3rd.. i managed to get to work, when i parked the car, i tried putting it into 1st, released clutch, the engine died.. tried 2nd, engine died.. 3rd, car pulled forward.. tried 4th, 5th, reverse, engine died.. the shifter goes easily into all 6 gears, but when i release the clutch, the engine just dies (except 3rd)..

me and my dad took out the tranny , tried turning the shaft by hand, it was stuck pretty hard.. after flipping and turning the tranny upside down, the shaft was moving freely.. could that be the end of my problems or do i still need to open it and checking it out?..

could the strange knocking noise and the 3rd gear issue be the cause of all this?.. what is the problem actually?..

tnx for reading my post and i hope to get some answers and solutions to my problem..
jmdearras
antispam: No

Re: Tranny stuck in 3rd

Post by jmdearras »

Sounds broken to me! something, like a selector fork, may have broken off and is jaming the gears. I would open it and look, since it is out, I'm certian you will find something loose in there.

Jim
mx3_aruba

Post by mx3_aruba »

yeah, i'm opening it today..

another question.. a long time ago i bought a ford probe with the F2 2.2L engine in it.. i just wanted the engine and trans for another project i had.. things didn't go as planned so i dropped the project, but i stil have the motor and trans.. would the internal parts of the F2 tranny be the same (almost the same) as the internal parts of the K8?..

that would save me lots and lots of money..
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Check out Ryans Tranny thread. http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... hilit=ryan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “Transmissions”