TNS Relay?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Lori Carlyle
antispam: No

TNS Relay?

Post by Lori Carlyle »

3 Days ago, My eunos lost the front side lights, dashboard back light and the rear lights except Reverse and stopping lights.

So Far:

Replaced every fuse I can find - As it's an Eunos the fuse box cover is in Jap so I don't know what controls what (So I replaced them all - Inc the ones in the engine bay) - If anyone has a picture or can take a picture of there cover for me please do so!

Replaced the 100Amp in the engine bay fuse box, awaiting the other ones from mazda to replace the others.
Got a new relay (Mazda can't tell me what one is the TNS one - so took there best guess) and systematicly tried it with the 4 in the engine bay (Top left from front of car) and the 4 behind the dash.

But still nothing, I'm now starting to trace the wires back to the right stick but the first "click" is less resistive then the second (If that makes sence - it just glides into sidelights on but main headlights is a little more chunky)

Anyone encountered something like this at all, or Knows where the TNS relay is?
Owner of the UK MX3 site.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Re: TNS Relay?

Post by umcamara »

The TNS relay is in the passenger-side kick panel. Should be there along with 1 or 2 more relays and the cruise control module (silver box, if equipped).

Instead of just replacing those relatively expensive engine fuses, it's better to test them for continuity with an ohm-meter. Very simple to do and much cheaper.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Lori Carlyle

Post by Lori Carlyle »

Thank you!

Been after the location of that for almost a week, Mazda say it's in the Engine bay!

I'll take a look this sat/sun for it and see if its the cause of my issues
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

Online shop manual would have answered all your questions...
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
Lori Carlyle

Post by Lori Carlyle »

Yuo got a link to it? Interested to know where this manual states it is :)
Lori Carlyle

Post by Lori Carlyle »

Took a look where ya said bud but the only one there is this one

Which is the Fuel Pump Relay (According to Mazda) Confirmed by the car won't start without it connected.

There is a connector for another one here:
(it's just above and closer to the front of the car, it was empty and there isn't a relay connected to it.

The only other places I've found relays are in the Engine bay top left (from front of car) and behind the dash, None of which when replaced give me lights.

Will be diggin out the Ohm tester tomorrow and checking the grounds as well.

I'm guessin it's the TNS relay thats gone, from the Wiring dia's thats the only thing that connects everything thats currently broken, if ya disagree and can offer another place to look for the cause I'm open for ideas.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

That's not the kickpanel that you're looking in. That's the center console area. The passenger kickpanel is where the door meets the underdash. And that silver box is the ECU, not the cruise control module I was referring to.

Compete wrong spot altogether. If you're car is right-hand drive, you need to go about 2-3 feet left of there.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Lori Carlyle

Post by Lori Carlyle »

Yeah I know thats the ECU lol..

Just a stupid noob mistake on the side of the passanger footwell, I'll check the otherside tomorrow or sunday :)

:oops:
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

Here's a link to the online manuals for you...

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/

You can find this link on the home page (the main one, not the forum home page). The manual should help you decipher your fuse box as well...

Don't know about Eunos, but I have a 93 (US spec) and my TNS relay, well, all my relays for that matter, are under the dash on the driver's side, just above the fuse box. It may be different on yours. Check the manual and you will find exactly where your TNS relay is...
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
Lori Carlyle

Post by Lori Carlyle »

Found and replaced but still no EXT lights or dash light.

Bugger.

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... -E-028.gif

Found it on that manual link, (Thanks for the link)

TNS relay works, There is a short in the front pass side fog. :(

Amazing how much stuff runs on the one circuit.
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

Here's the thing. The TNS relay supplies power to the fuse box, which splits the power and supplies it to all of the lights on that circuit. If there was a short in the system, you may have some burned up connections on the back of the fuse box.

First of all, remove the fuse box (the one under the dash...check the manual for info on this). Look on the back at the connections, and check the plugs that plug into the fuse box as well. If something burned up because of the short, you should notice it pretty quickly. Also, check the connections on your lights as well, just in case they burned up too. But it's more likely in the fuse box, since that's where the power splits, and a problem there would affect all of your lights.
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
Lori Carlyle

Post by Lori Carlyle »

I think there are two shorts (trust me the last owner never found out what a soldering iron is, but he sure knew a lot about e-tape!)

Things that stopped working

Front Fogs/Sides
Dash light
Light buzzer
Rear Fog
Rear Headlights (if that makes sence)

Hes bodged an alarm under the dash (Sigma M4) No hassiles on that front, Take dash apart find alarm and remove it (new one going in a few days)

With the dash apart, the switch works (@ times) when it works however, Front Pass Fog and rear fog don't (Changing the Bulbs tomorrow)

With the lights on, I tapped the Front pass fog cover and the lights turned off :( (Checkign the wiring behind it tomorrow as well)
With the dash rebuilt nothing works

I'll remove the fuse box tomorrow as well, but I think there is a short behind the front fog and under dash somewhere (Something I caught when I did the alarm maybe) but so far, I've not replaced the TNS nor has it killed any fuses (damn odd)

It's possible the switch is going as the turn to Sidelights is a lot less chunky then the turn from side to main is. (I'm a biker and new to cars there like a lost amazon city to me)

Tomorrow, the fuse box is off, Front bumper to get to the front fogs and the rear fog and going over every split in the wires for a break. if replacing the bulbs dont' fix it (which it 90% will)

& yeah I'm an idiot, I replaced the side light bulbs but forgot about the fogs.

(Question Time)
Are the fogs running on a sep circuit thats hashed into the sidelights - IE Would the sidelights work until the fogs are turned on if there was a short with the fogs?

like I said I'm new to cars (This one being my first!) so I'm prob being a moron and just not seein the wood for the trees but hell, it's 18 years old and I'm going to keep it on teh road for a lot longer :)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

For being new to cars I'm totally impressed that your delving into this problem as deeply as you are. Props to you. Next time I have an electrical issue I'm PMing you, lol
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

Daninski wrote: Next time I have an electrical issue I'm PMing you
Well, I've rewired my dash more than a few times... :D
Lori Carlyle wrote:Are the fogs running on a sep circuit thats hashed into the sidelights - IE Would the sidelights work until the fogs are turned on if there was a short with the fogs?
No, the fogs are on a separate circuit from TNS. TNS is just dash lights and sidelights.

Sorry I just realized that you said the short was in the fogs...
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

You know if you have a junkyard close by you should just go and grab a new front harness. Don't order from the dealership they will want like $1200 for it...
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”