Hard to track defrost problem.

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
jkbreazeale

Re: Hard to track defrost problem.

Post by jkbreazeale »

Ha! That's fine I don't mind using the search feature. Builds character
1993 MX-3 RS (my project car) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3815854 <- Check out my Cardomain!
1995 MX-3 RS (wife's project car)
Chapman2
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Chapman2 »

You would measure it for resistance with a voltmeter. You can get one for less than 20 bucks. You need the values in the Samsung manual for the fridge which is available online all over. You have to be sure to set the meter for the expected range. I had it wrong and misread it to be open, so I replaced the defrost sensor, only to find out it was not bad. Again, if it continues to ice up everyday, it is likely because the defrost element is never coming on because it is burnt out.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

$10 on the RELAY.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
jkbreazeale

Post by jkbreazeale »

... oops. I solved the problem a couple months ago. It was the relay. Her led went out on the button so you never knew if it was on or not, so there would be times where it would just stay on and drain the battery. Pulled the relay and it fried the wires and the relay it self... working on finding a replacement bulb for the button right now.
1993 MX-3 RS (my project car) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3815854 <- Check out my Cardomain!
1995 MX-3 RS (wife's project car)
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

I got this 1. The reason why the relay burns out is 2 fold. 1) The fuse that supplies constant power to that relay is 40 amps, the relay itself is a 20 amp relay hence the relay burns out before the fuse does. 2) The relay will give out prematurely anytime you exceed the rated amps, the supply fuse being 40 amps supplies the rear defrost and when the current draw exceeds the relay it burns up the contacts and results in relay failure, when it fails it almost always will burn the wiring and plug for it. So here is the solution; Put an inline fuse in the constant power supply for the relay that is equal to or lower than the relay's capability such as a 20 amp atc fuse. Or 2 put a lower rated fuse in that 40 amp slot say a 20 or 30 amp fuse with a 30 amp relay. The fuse will burn out before the relay does. The problem here though is that the maxi fuses for the engine bay fuse block usually do not come in anything lower than a 30 amp fuse. I know the second inline fuse is redundant but it solves the relay burning out problem just make sure that you match the gauge of the power supply wire for your inline fuse.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”