changing light color in speedo cluster

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
CrimsonReign1

changing light color in speedo cluster

Post by CrimsonReign1 »

so first off, i DID read the faq. i want to change my light color to blue, and i think the stock guages are nicer the almost all the custom ones. i assume you just need to change the sleeve color from green to blue (in this case) but where can i get the little sleeves? also is changing the clock just the smaller light or is there a screen in front as well?

thanks people
93 SE, black
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: changing light color in speedo cluster

Post by Mooneggs »

well if you had read the faq you would have found these:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I see the links are broken... :o But still read them since it talks about having to melt off the green paint :welder:

Anyways, I may still have some of these little covers that I gave away in this thread:
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=68241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a few pics half way down this page to show when I changed the clock color to purpleish and the backlighting color to red...
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 9&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

your local auto parts store also have these bulbs with a blue tint on the glass, which is reportedly brighter than the sleeved bulbs. One person used it here and said it's blue and brighter than stock as well.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
DJPRO

Post by DJPRO »

Can you just use the LED's bulbs. It worked very well in my MX-5.

-dee
'92 MIATA
'93 MX-3 BPT
'08 CX-9 AWD GRAND TOURING
CrimsonReign1

Post by CrimsonReign1 »

ok thanks guys, ill try lordco or somting and see if i can get them, if not ill post back later
93 SE, black
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Lordco wont have em, your better off getting some leds online or ordering the sleeves from the site that mooneggs got his.
CrimsonReign1

Post by CrimsonReign1 »

ok, so how can i tell what size led's i need to order?

also how do you get the fuel/temp gauge out without damaging the needles?
93 SE, black
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Well the bulbs all can be changed at the back of the cluster. you dont need to touch the front. There is info in the FAQ IIRC about the bulbs you need.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I use all 194 style LED's/bulbs... so in order to get rid of the stock green, you will need to read the faq I listed earlier...

I used indiglo overlay gauges, then used red covers on the stock 194 bulbs to create the background of red, but underneath it all the green would still show green even with the red if that makes sense.
CrimsonReign1

Post by CrimsonReign1 »

oook im pretty sure i get it, thanks for all the help people but how do you get the guages out without damaging the needles to change the clock screen thingy?
93 SE, black
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Each gauge gets uscrewed from the back of the cluster. You DON'T need to remove the needles. The fuel/temp gauge unscrews from the cluster, then the clock can be unscrewed and removed. All the unscrewing is done from the back of the cluster.

For the 10th time, all the unscrewing is done from the back. You DO NOT need to touch the needles.

Sorry got a little excited there...
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I have a side project where I tried removing the green backing from the speedo gauges...no matter what I tried, it did not work well...the green continues to show up.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Ever since the buy fell through for the black gauges with blue lighting with ninjajim and speedhut, I've wanted to try this on my stock cluster (including the HVAC)... I have spares I could experiment on...

Romeo, what techniques did you try that didn't work well?
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Sandpaper by hand and w/ a dremel, wetsanding, file, heat gun, razor blades, hair dryer. I even cut one of the stock gauges apart to see if there were layers so I could separate it...no luck.

You'd have to completely remove the stock gauge faces, which wouldn't be so bad except that I broke one of the needles trying to CUT it off...the damn things are so flimsy. Then you'd need to get gauge faces w/ needle stops on them so the needle can rest in place right.

I think an easier solution would be using a cluster off a different car honestly. I think the probe/mx6 cluster is a very similar size, with only slightly different gauge setup and they have glow needles (or can more easily than the mx3). Wiring might be tricky, but they have a digital speedo like the later mx3's instead of a cable. I've wanted the time to try one.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

did you try the paint thinner method from the faq? I feel like I can make this happen... I'll experiment with the spare cluster (it already has a broken needle)

Return to “Appearance”