zoom zoom BOOM - Carnage pics added!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: zoom zoom BOOM - Carnage pics added!

Post by fowljesse »

Man, I feel bad for you. I get easily discouraged, though. When my GS lost the timing belt, I got my other MX-3, and let it sit. Alot has to do with having no shelter from the rain. They say that Portland, and Ireland are very similar in weather, and landscape. Anyway, I don't know which cam is which.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
davmac

Post by davmac »

I agree that fwd cars make knowing which cam is which a little harder. The broken camshaft in this case is the right intake camshaft. You have to imagine the engine mounted as it would be if rwd - the front = accessory belts; the back connects to the transmission. The intake camshaft obviously operates the intake valves so closest to the intake manifold - the exhaust camshaft nearest the exhaust manifold.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Ok the one I need is the rear intake cam. So first find the two cams that have threaded ends for the cam sprocket bolt.
Now your down to two, One will have the slot for the disty key. The other one is the one I need with a threaded end but no disty slot :) yea man it's going to rain for the next week here, cracks me up! The gazebo is in place, I refuse to be beaten!
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Holy f*ck!!! That's crazy! How the hell can something like that happen??? Ryan or someone else predicted it perfectly, I guess then the 2 pistons weren't operating properly cause the valves weren't moving?
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Thanks for the explanation. I was going to figure it out one day, or open a manual, but when it comes to thinking, it's easier to have someone else do it. My brain is better suited for watching shiny objects. :freak:
I'll take a look.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Anyone have ideas on the oil on the valves? That puzzles me as well. Only way it could really get in is through the top... valve seals/sleeves.... crud :(
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Well, this is pure speculation, but, when the camshaft broke it must have jerked/swung pretty badly in there...
Maybe the head got cracked around that part, and oil seeped in?

Other than that, the only reasonable guess would be the seals/guides getting damaged... :confused2:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Head gasket doesn't explain the oil above the combustion chamber.

Is the oil only in the one intake runner? Or are they all wet with oil? What does the inside of the IM look like? Could it be blow by causing oil to accumulate in the IM? But that wouldn't explain on the rear cylinders being wet.

I think if the head was cracked badly enough to allow that much oil in it would be noticeable.

I can tell you one thing for sure...your brake master cylinder is on the wrong side of the car. I'd get that looked at.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
jmdearras
antispam: No

Post by jmdearras »

That crack looks old, the driven side has only a little bright metal from a fresh break, the rest is dark.
vansolrick

Post by vansolrick »

Also, as an option, I have a full set of KL101 cams that I can sell cheap. Sorry, I don't mean to be 'selling' here but I'm offering it as help.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

jmdearras wrote:That crack looks old, the driven side has only a little bright metal from a fresh break, the rest is dark.
I disagree. There are very small rusted bits in that picture, but the dark stuff is just wet with oil. There would be rust on any iron that had been exposed for more than a day or so. That rusted bit on the one side is where the crack started probably a day or two before the failure.

My gut feeling is that either the cap was loose or the shaft was slightly out of shape and the cap was holding it straight. Can you tell if the cap looks hammered out at all? I would bet at this point that the shaft was not straight and the cap was placing constant pressure on the bend until a crack formed and then it failed soon after.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”