Mis Spelled PLate on Ticket

Off-Topic Discussions
ninjajim4

Re: Mis Spelled PLate on Ticket

Post by ninjajim4 »

dunno how it is up north, and even here it's different from state to state, but in IL i don't think it'd fly. it's one thing if it's a parking ticket -- then what's to say it's really your car parked there? but a speeding ticket is catching you, the person, in the act. could be driving a lawnmower.

at any rate, my experience has always been that it pays to go to court. the cop might not show up, or you might get off just on your technicality. in chi, when you get a ticket, you can plead guilty, take a 4 hour driver safety class, and go on court supervision, where it's not on your record so long as you don't get another ticket within 6 mo. if you go to court and can't get off, you can still plead guilty and get that automatic court supervision without having to take the class. so you save 100 bucks not paying for a bs class and wasting 4 hours of your time sitting through it. better all around. good luck
waspone

Post by waspone »

Yeah we'll see i havent even been mailed for a date yet, but it was a lazy OPP cop on a dead road at 1 in the afternoon like wtf. so apparently he already has too much time on his hands so well see if he shows up at court or not. Im not even concerned about the ticket price, but the insurance hike is retarded so id like to do something... The guy stated that the laws have been updated that they will ammend certain types of errors other things like not signing the cops name etc. will get thrown out, but i mean i have a physical copy of the ticket, so obviously it was me right...one digit off he said wouldnt get me off... though it was worth a shot!
92' Red GS - RIP
93' Black Miata LE
MX3-4U2NV
antispam: No

Post by MX3-4U2NV »

Under the Ontario Provincial Offences Act some minor mistakes on speeding tickets can be corrected at court by the prosecution, but fatal errors cannot. For example, there maybe a mistake in the spelling of your name, the licence plate or year of the car is wrong. These are minor mistakes that can be corrected on the trial date by the Justice of the Peace or prosecutor and are not a fatal errors.
I thought I had it made this summer when they put my license plate down wrong. So many ppl told me to forget about it, it's spelled wrong, or to fight it and I will definitely get off.

As it turns out, I forgot about my ticket entirely, until I got a notice from the MTO reminding me I still had it, and still had to pay. Then I went to do something at the licensing office, for a different plate entirely, and had to pay the fine on the mis-spelled plate ticket, in order to pay for the other plate.

So, to answer your question, just because the plate was mis-spelled, DOES NOT automatically mean you are getting off. You have the option to fight it, but odds are they will take the ticket from you in court, correct it, and still want something. Because after all, you still did something wrong. And as you mentioned, you are also only a G2, so they may want to take the chance and pounce on you while you are freshly licensed, in hopes of teaching you a lesson.

just my 2c
waspone

Post by waspone »

yeah lol, thats exactly what im afraid of.
92' Red GS - RIP
93' Black Miata LE
Stonefly
antispam: No

Post by Stonefly »

Here in Washington we have whats called a "Deferred Judgment"... basically you pay the full face value of the ticket but it doesn't go on your record (doesn't show up to the insurance company) unless you have another infraction within a year... this can be done every seven years here... you might ask about it when you go in, I'm pretty sure B.C. has that same policy so some of the other provinces might as well...
Mx-3 Project: After-Midnight

Return to “Off-Topic”