Advice please, what would you do?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
nightridergsr

Advice please, what would you do?

Post by nightridergsr »

I have a 92 GS. I blew the head gasket in the stock 1.8. I decided to pull it in hopes of getting a ZE. Not only did I pull the motor - I pretty much stripped and gutted the car, partly due to boredom, partly in hopes of replacing old with new :roll: . I have a decent stock of parts, as seen here: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I have yet to be able to afford a ZE. The car is still in pieces. I need a daily driver badly, asap. What I know for sure it needs just to get it running and road ready:

1. 1.8 head gaskets replaced - (not sure if heads are warped and will not be able to afford having them checked)
(I really want the ZE badly but $750 for a ZE vs $100 for both head gaskets, granting I will be able to install them properly and get the 1.8 running again :lol:)

2. heater core - $75 (I bent the tubing going through the firewall pulling the motor out :?)

3. LCA rear bushings (control arms pulled, bushings removed, only to realize the bushings I have are too small :? ) pics:

ImageImageImage

4. something fabricated so I can mount front bumper (another story, basically I ruined the stock bumper trying to cut it down so I could mount Pakfeifer bumper to it, needless to say it didn't work, so I have no way of mounting the stock bumper or the Pakfeifer :confused2:)

5. Everything put back together.

all of my project pics located here: http://profile.imageshack.us/user/nightridergsr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Suggestions/comments appreciated - "What were you thinking" or similar comments deemed unnecessary, as they are pretty much implied in this post :lol:.

Long story short, looking for suggestions, I need a daily driver, I'm on a tight budget, etc.

Fix or replace only what is needed to get the MX-3 back on the road, or try selling what I can in hopes of getting enough to afford a different vehicle?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Advice please, what would you do?

Post by fowljesse »

Stock stuff isn't worth enough to sell to get another car, unfortunately, plus it would take you a long time to sell stuff. I recommend getting a KLDE, and putting it in there. It would be easy to eventually build it to over 200HP without taking it out again. If you can't afford the extra $200-$300 for that, fix the 1.8, and drive it until you can afford the ZE, or DE. FYI, I have a ZE/DE hybrid that is stronger than a strong ZE ( I went to a dyno with 2 built ZEs, and beat them).
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

fowljesse wrote:...
FYI, I have a ZE/DE hybrid that is stronger than a strong ZE ( I went to a dyno with 2 built ZEs, and beat them).
Yes, but your car also runs on Voodoo magic...
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
nightridergsr

Post by nightridergsr »

fowljesse, just out of curiousity how did you build your motor? I'm no guru and from what I've read you've been working with motors a long time. Seeing as how I'm mostly inexperienced with building motors, I was kinda just looking to slap one in there and hope it worked for me :lol: I should also note that this is my first project of this magnitude, meaning it's pretty much all a learning experience for me. I've worked around cars since I was twelve, I have alot of general knowledge, but like I said, I'm no guru. Still wanting to finish the project rather than part it but need more funds to do it with. Guess we'll see how it turns out. Again curious of what a ZE/DE hybrid is.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Check out my worklog..
Basically, my engine is a DE with ZE pistons, and exhaust cams. It also has a DE manifold, but not your average one.. it's from a 2002 626 (KLG4) which flows almost as well as a ZE mani. Everything was carefully ported, port matched, and tuned (basically turning a DE into a ZE). You must think of your engine as an air pump, and the more freely the air flows, the less power it takes to pump it.
Most importantly, you must cross Chicken bones at a crossroads at midnight on a full moon before you finish the build.
But seriously, you should read the most about engine building that you can handle. I started with air cooled VWs, then to V8s, Motorcycles, and now this... Basically, it's all the same, theoretically.
There's ALOT of info here, and on Probetalk about these V6s.
Let me know if you have any specific questions. At this point, the cheapest thing to do would be change the head gasket, and "freshen up" the 1.8 (timing belt, etc.).
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

No question buy a ZE and 4get abowt et.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Yeah but jesse I would say your DE has pretty much most of the crucial things from a ZE that gives the ZE its power. Imagine if you did all the things that you've done but to a ZE? It would be that much more powerful. With the amount of work you've put in I'm not surprised it's more powerful than the average KLZE.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

dont fix your 1.8. and dont bother with a de. a typical de probably has lots of miles on it, unless you wanted to rebuild it then sure, but if thats your plan then might as well spend less and just get a low mileage ze.

klze, end of story.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:Yeah but jesse I would say your DE has pretty much most of the crucial things from a ZE that gives the ZE its power. Imagine if you did all the things that you've done but to a ZE? It would be that much more powerful. With the amount of work you've put in I'm not surprised it's more powerful than the average KLZE.
Actually, the reason it was done; it's like having an engine stronger than a ZE, but more reliable, and like new. It has about 7,000 miles on it right now. All for less than a ZE swap would have cost. It's alot of labor, though. I couldn't have done the same to a ZE because the heads, and IM don't have enough wall thickness for porting. When a manufacturer makes performance parts, they don't leave room for improvement. You can port DE heads, and IM for better flow than you can port the ZE stuff. It's the next step above the ZE swap.
I remember when I first got on here, and had no money, and everyone said "Do the ZE swap!". But that doesn't help when you're broke. nightridergsr doesn't have the money, and needs to drive the car.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

How is it that one K series IM has more wall thickness than another?
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

The same way the heads do. :shrug: It's the way they were cast.
This guy did the same http://www.xtremethings.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nightridergsr

Post by nightridergsr »

Thanks for all the input guys, still hoping for a ZE. Trying to save up for one, not easy rasing a kid, going to school, working part time and paying bills. Still determined to get a ZE in there, get body work done, car together and back on the road. Guess I should prolly take down the [GI] thread that I posted.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

LCA rear bushing brackets off of any MX-3 made before 06/94 will have the smaller diameter that you require. $5ea at the junk yard.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”