Stupid crap bosch disty cap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RX8SE3P

Stupid crap bosch disty cap

Post by RX8SE3P »

Ok so I bought a bosch disty cap from rockauto.com

It's exactly the same as the old crappy cap but it won't fit on the disty properly. Basically, the old original cap fits nicely with the rotor on the disty but the new one doesn't. On the old cap, there is a little button in the middle and it pushes down slightly. On the new bosch cap, it does not push down at all.

It seems this center section is pushing on the rotor and not allowing the cap to fully seat against the disty. I might have to sand down the center section of this cap or something. I can't send it back to America, it's not worth it.

Anyone else ever have this issue?
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
vansolrick

Re: Stupid crap bosch disty cap

Post by vansolrick »

The ones I've used all push a little. Maybe it's designed specifically for Bosch rotor buttons?
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

vansolrick wrote:The ones I've used all push a little. Maybe it's designed specifically for Bosch rotor buttons?
Hmmm they shouldn't be allowed to sell it separately if that's the case. I'm gonna try grinding down that middle part a little at work tomorrow.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
davmac

Post by davmac »

RX8SE3P wrote:On the old cap, there is a little button in the middle and it pushes down slightly. On the new bosch cap, it does not push down at all.

It seems this center section is pushing on the rotor and not allowing the cap to fully seat against the disty. I might have to sand down the center section of this cap or something. I can't send it back to America, it's not worth it.

Anyone else ever have this issue?
Do make sure the rotor is completely seated on the distributor shaft. The cap may be defective, but if it is you're better off returning it than modding it.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

davmac wrote:Do make sure the rotor is completely seated on the distributor shaft. The cap may be defective, but if it is you're better off returning it than modding it.
Yeah the rotor is definitely seated fine. I have no choice but to try and mod it since I live in Australia and postage back to America will cost more than the cap itself. I hate when this stuff happens.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”