noticible oil burning on my valve cover

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
chrome730

noticible oil burning on my valve cover

Post by chrome730 »

As you may have seen the pics of my car before i was wondering if anyone has a possible solution to what it may be. ive heard several things from my piston rings to it may just be the valve cover gaskets.
It only takes a single voice to start a revolution
vansolrick

Re: noticible oil burning on my valve cover

Post by vansolrick »

If you have an abnormal bit of oil in your intake or air assembly then yeah most likely just worn piston rings.

If you have any doubt about your valve cover gaskets, I would just replace them. If you have oil outside of the motor then yeah gaskets. If you can smell burning at all, it could be leaking onto the exhaust manifolds.
chrome730

Post by chrome730 »

cant smell it i just see it on the valve cover. and it seems there is some on cylinder one and i believe six or the front two end cylinders. in the spark plug holes
vansolrick

Post by vansolrick »

Yeah that sounds like your valve cover gaskets. When you replace them, use RTV silicone around where the cover contacts the head, around the screw holes and spark plugs, and rub it in with your finger before putting your cover back on. Let it seal 24 hours before driving.
chrome730

Post by chrome730 »

should i seafoam it too cause im sure it looks like the other guys.
vansolrick

Post by vansolrick »

Yep if you want. If you do, I recommend having someone help you inside the car working the gas pedal so one of you can suck some thru a vac line on the intake manifold to clean them out too.

Just do some searches to make sure what lines to use so you do it right and do it in an open area or open garage because you will get lots of fumes coming out of the exhaust that you don't want to inhale.
Last edited by vansolrick on October 3rd, 2009, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

I'd use the vacuum line on the brake booster, if you use one on the intake manifold it will take forrreeevvveeeerrrrr to suck it in!
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”