Slave Cylinder/clutch fluid???

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
davmac

Re: Slave Cylinder/clutch fluid???

Post by davmac »

^ Thats a weird question. Does the slave actually push the fork? If so it sounds like nothing is wrong with the clutch hydraulics.

It is true that If the master fails it will not move the slave. The master often fails such that it won't move fluid down to the slave. It is like a piston with bad rings - no compression. The clutch pedal will go to the ground with little resistance, and will sit on the floor but can sometimes be pulled back up and will work - until if fails completely. When a slave cylinder fails the fluid will leak out (often into or around the boot) instead of pushing the fork. If your fluid is low nothing works. Fluid is brake fluid and shared by the braking system so a leak at a brake caliper or line can impact clutch too.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

Brake fluid resivour can get clogged has happened to me I poked a new hole at the bottom of it with a cost hanger. Worked great for me. You guys ever try that qhen having clutch bleeding issues?
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
vansolrick

Post by vansolrick »

The hydraulic lines are an enclosed, unified system. A leak anywhere can cause something else along the line to fail. So, if your boot is moving on the slave, it can mean that that the slave and/or master cyl are fine if you know what I mean.

It depends on how much it is moving. If there is a leak it is possible that the boot will still move and slightly move the clutch fork. I seriously recommend just unbolting the slave cylinder and checking the boot for fluid.

You will have to disconnect the hydraulic line from the slave cylinder. To keep the fluid from just pouring out, just cap off the line. I found out that an easy way to do this is with a short bit of hose (about the size used for the small vacuum lines) and a screw that will fit in the hose. Just push the hose on the end of hydraulic line with the screw in on the other end and that should hold the fluid well and long enough for you to check and work on the slave cylinder.
davmac

Post by davmac »

vansolrick wrote:To keep the fluid from just pouring out, just cap off the line. I found out that an easy way to do this is with a short bit of hose (about the size used for the small vacuum lines) and a screw that will fit in the hose. Just push the hose on the end of hydraulic line with the screw in on the other end and that should hold the fluid well and long enough for you to check and work on the slave cylinder.
Good tip because brake fluid is nasty stuff.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”