Cage`

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
garretc16

Cage`

Post by garretc16 »

Has anyone here done a cage in there mx3? i am thinking about doing one and just need some ideas to compare to mine.... i was thinking a rollbar behind the front seats thats archs dwona nd fastens to around the around where the seatbelt rails are. and on the arch of the connect tubes to run along the side over the back seat and arch into the back and fasten back there?
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Cage`

Post by mitmaks »

are you getting into 10 sec range with your car anytime soon? Why do you want cage in your mx-3?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

garretc16 wrote:Has anyone here done a cage in there mx3? i am thinking about doing one and just need some ideas to compare to mine.... i was thinking a rollbar behind the front seats thats archs dwona nd fastens to around the around where the seatbelt rails are. and on the arch of the connect tubes to run along the side over the back seat and arch into the back and fasten back there?

You planning on rolling your car anytime soon?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

CJThor has one - 4 point I believe
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

mitmaks wrote:are you getting into 10 sec range with your car anytime soon? Why do you want cage in your mx-3?
It's funny... I don't recall him asking anybody's opinion on that... :shrug:
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

mitmarks didn't voice his opinion only merely ask very valid questions. Depending on the purpose of the cage would kinda tell you how you have to build it. Big difference between a Cage thats meant to save your life and a Cage that looks pretty.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

I think that everybody in alberta should have a cage, the potholes here in red deer are enough to almost flip your car. I blew out bushings and a sway bar endlink on one last year.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

This one's pretty sick:

http://www.lpiracing.com/pc/Autopower-R ... p23943.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would be cool if you welded 2 bars to make an X across. But I agree, unless you're racing, doing rally, doing under 12sec quartermile runs, etc etc, it's only aesthetics. :welder:
92 Autozam AZ3
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Cages are sick, Id rock one if I had the cash
Stonefly

Post by Stonefly »

I'm thinking of building mine... I want to do the Northwest rally circuit next year in the FWD class... still need to find someone dumb enough to sit in the passenger seat and be a navigator...
Mx-3 Project: After-Midnight
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

A cage will improve the ride quality by stiffening the chassis, plus you can never be too safe in your car.

I think it's a good idea if you've got the time/money.
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Cages, like everything else, have advantages and disadvantages.

True, a cage will improve safety in most cases.
True, a cage will stiffen up the chassis.
And of course, it's true they look good.

But the cage's 2 main disadvantages will make a huge difference, for the worse, in a car like the MX-3.

1. Cages are HEAVY. Now, you may think adding 150 Lbs or so to a car is no big deal, and that would be the case if you're installing it in a Camaro, which is heavy without the cage, doesn't handle, and has more than enough power to move it. But on an MX-3, I'm pretty sure a 5% weight difference UP HIGH will clearly be felt, especially when driving hard.

2. Cages are BULKY. Ask any race car driver what's the main everyday advantage of wearing a helmet inside a closed, caged car, and he'll tell you: it saves your head the bruises from hitting the cage with every bump.

I'd recommend you to first make a mock up of your cage from something cheap, like PVC pipe, and decide if you're willing to live with it on a daily basis.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Stonefly

Post by Stonefly »

Definately a good idea to mock it up with pvc first... plus them you can take measurements off the pvc if you decide you want it... Weight is a huge issue in a car like an mx-3... one trick is going to be getting the weight distribution right and making it so it passes inspection if you're in a competition that requires one, they all have different rules
Mx-3 Project: After-Midnight
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

well based on the OP's idea, he's only talking about a 4 point... you wouldn't hit your head on a 4 point :roll: Now granted if you are going all out and have a 6 or 8 point with bars going everywhere... yeah it's going to get tight in there - especially in the mx-3. As far as weight, if you even it out, I don't think it would be that big of a deal - CF hatch, relocate battery and fuel cell to the very back, the cage's weight will be across most of the middle and rear... :shrug: And hopefully if you are putting in a cage, you already have enough power to offset the weight.
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

A CF hatch would definitely be a good idea with a roll cage, to offset some of the weight, but I would NOT relocate the fuel cell to the back, especially if the car is a daily driver... :bump:
The weight problem is not only because of the total added weight, but because that weight is up high inside the car. That's bound to increase body roll, and all other issues related to weight transfer. That's why a CF hatch would be a good thing.
But now you're talking about extra money. A 4 point is pretty cheap, especially if you build it yourself...
How much is a CF hatch?

About the power...As it comes from the factory, the MX-3 already has enough power to offset the weight. The issue here is: whatever power you have...are you willing to sacrifice some of it to move something you don't really need? :shrug:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.

Return to “Appearance”