Rookie question about drums...

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
PilotSmack89
antispam: No

Rookie question about drums...

Post by PilotSmack89 »

Hi everyone,

So my brakes shake like hell everytime I put pressure on them while moving, turns out, the front rotors have rust on them, and are at the minimum depth, so i cant have them re-machined. Damn.

However, I got a real nice set of Brembo rotors (front and back) for reallly cheap, cept that my rears are drums :(

Question: Is there any convenient way to convert the rears to discs, or is there anyone out there who wants rear Brembo discs?
-Blaze Red 92 MX-3 RS w/ Brembo rotors, Infinity Kappas 62.9i

"MA! THE MEATLOAF!!"
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Rookie question about drums...

Post by mitmaks »

get parts from GS, search and you will find how to archives
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
MapaX5

Post by MapaX5 »

here you go...

"Rear Disc Brakes:

It would be possible to swap to the disc brake from a GS in place of the drums on RS. You will need the complete rear spindle assembly, wheel bearing assembly, rear calipers, rotors, flexible brake lines and park brake cable. In addition you will also need the bigger bore master brake cylinder and front because four wheel disc brakes requires more fluid pressure and volume to operate rear calipers than it does to operate drum brakes. Unless you are racing on a tight circuit course where you are on the brakes often there is little advantage to swapping to discs. The disc brake assembly add a lot of additional unsprung weight and do require much more maintenance as the park brake actuator level has a tendency to stick in the engaged position. "
Personally, i've done this swap on my '01 Eclipse GS and '91 MX-6 and the ease of maintenance overcomes any issues you might have. plus, don't forget you could have leaking cylinders on drum brakes and you'll only find out when the brakes go...(my boss had that happen, not cool, he was ok though).
oh, and THEY LOOK SO MUCH BETTER!.
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,
MapaX5

Post by MapaX5 »

also, there are more advantages to disc brakes. the guy who posted that was wrong. disc brakes are LIGHTER than drum brakes, which reduces rotational mass, thus improving your accel/decel times/distance. hence most manufacturers went from drum/drum-to disc/drum-to disc all around. easier to maintain, better looking, less mass, less time at the repair shops.
personally, if you just wanna do that because you have those discs sitting at home, it's too much of a hassle. you're looking to spend bout $300 on the swap parts, plus time. and if you don't know how to do it properly, you could kill yourself.
just ship them to me. i'm gonna do my swap after i'm done turboing my miata.
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Just go to the scrap yard and pick up the whole GS rear subframe. get new bushings and everything, and just bolt it on. Thats probably the easiest way. I was going to do this before I wrote off my BP mx3 and picked up a GS.

Then you get a rear tie bar, too :)

happy modding.

One more small side note, watch out when bleeding brakes. That s--- HURTS THE EYES!
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
PilotSmack89

Post by PilotSmack89 »

haha thanks for the input guys!
-Blaze Red 92 MX-3 RS w/ Brembo rotors, Infinity Kappas 62.9i

"MA! THE MEATLOAF!!"
Mx3Kid16

Post by Mx3Kid16 »

yeah brake fluid in the eyeball hurts. put a hose over the fitting if you have one.
CF Hood, Kenwood everything, 2.25 catback exhaust, H&R Springs, F&B Strut bars

My worklog: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=68856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good afternoon from the biggest Douch around;D
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I'm going to be a little bit anal on this one. To say that "disc brakes are LIGHTER than drum brakes" is a very generalized statement. A 9.88" rotor like the stock GS rear may be as light as the stock RS drum, but I would not say lighter. In general though, I would say that that is about as small as a rotor gets and for the most part a rotor is going to be heavier than the drum it replaces. In addition to that is the fact that the mass is rotating and rotors are inherently larger in diameter than drums...meaning that the rotating mass is always going to be farther from the center of rotation than with a drum brake. So even if a disc was slightly lighter than the drum it replaced, the mass moment of inertia is greater and any weight savings you may have made is more than lost.

All of this is meaningless though because discs work better than drums. Greater swept area, greater mechanical advantage, far greater upgradeability. They're just better. But don't go making claims that are not supported by facts.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”