Suspension

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
MapaX5
antispam: No

Suspension

Post by MapaX5 »

Ok, so i don't clutter the other thread anymore, i figure i'd create my own.
So far, here's what we've concluded....
ZX-2 assemblies will bolt up to my '92 RS, last post on the other thread the guy said the ZX-2 "should" be stiffer, the only thing i see with that, is the fact that i put assemblies off a GS on my car being told the car should lower a lil and be a lil stiffer. now my car sits 2" higher than normal (B, back me up on this??) and now i'm stuck with monster truck steering and handling. i HATE THAT.
so, will the ZX-2 assemblies LOWER my car .5" compared to the original GS or RS setup?

If the mods don't delete this thread, and if B cooperates with me, maybe we can do a write up for newbs bout things NOT to do with the suspension? everyone posts what they've done with aftermarket springs, which are designed to lower the car to begin with.
This weekend i should be able to switch my GS setup for B's RS setup, i will post pics of before and after.
then i'll try to get the ZX-2 setup and write on the diffs and pros/cons of the various setups. ALL WITH STOCK PARTS.
(note: B is an old MX-3.com member, and i just don't wanna put his real name on the web)
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,
solo_ryder

Re: Suspension

Post by solo_ryder »

MapaX5 wrote:Ok, so i don't clutter the other thread anymore, i figure i'd create my own.
So far, here's what we've concluded....
ZX-2 assemblies will bolt up to my '92 RS, last post on the other thread the guy said the ZX-2 "should" be stiffer, the only thing i see with that, is the fact that i put assemblies off a GS on my car being told the car should lower a lil and be a lil stiffer. now my car sits 2" higher than normal (B, back me up on this??) and now i'm stuck with monster truck steering and handling. i HATE THAT.
so, will the ZX-2 assemblies LOWER my car .5" compared to the original GS or RS setup?

If the mods don't delete this thread, and if B cooperates with me, maybe we can do a write up for newbs bout things NOT to do with the suspension? everyone posts what they've done with aftermarket springs, which are designed to lower the car to begin with.
This weekend i should be able to switch my GS setup for B's RS setup, i will post pics of before and after.
then i'll try to get the ZX-2 setup and write on the diffs and pros/cons of the various setups. ALL WITH STOCK PARTS.
(note: B is an old MX-3.com member, and i just don't wanna put his real name on the web)
Who the hell is B? Maybe you should link to your previous discussion.

The zx2 front strut shaft is .5" shorter then the GS strut. That doesn't really mean that the car will go .5" shorter, it means that there is some more strut movement in the piston. The ZX2 strut has more aggressive valving and rebound then the stock GS strut or a KYB GR2. What that simply means is that if you lower the car it will be able to handle squatting abit lower and handling a more aggressive spring rate. The car will be more stable and not bounce as much as it would if you were using stock struts.
MapaX5
antispam: No

Post by MapaX5 »

solo_ryder wrote: Who the hell is B? Maybe you should link to your previous discussion.
read the bottom part of my post.
The previous thread was titled "ZX-2... questions"
i'm doing this as a "don't do this" kind of thread, in the hopes that someone doesn't do the mistake I did. i believed some dude who told me the GS assemblies would lower my car and make it "sportier" (partly because that's the case with the '01-05 eclipse).
and since i'm a newb to mx-3s, i bought all 4 corners. when i went back to see the dude he said "take your money if you can, fool!" and he drove away. :freak:
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Okay, there is some misonformation here.

The ZX2 struts are ACTUALLY just struts, no big deal. its the ZX2 S/R struts that are the true winners.

The regular ZX2 struts can handle a lowering spring better than the stock MX3 (GS or RS) because of the extra half inch of clearance. stock struts and lowerign sprigns usually results in dead struts in no time. The stock ZX2 springs are build for curb weight of 2500lbs (zx2) whereas the stock RS sits about 200lbs lighter. Thats plenty to make the car sit higher. I think the GS could take the stock ZX2 struts and see little change in ride height, as its the same weight as the ZX2, maybe even a lowering in the front because the weight distribution isn't the greatest in the GS.

So, take those struts you just bought and get some nice(ish) lowering springs. You're not totally at a loss here.

(You'll need a camber kit of some sort, or to simply oval out the holes in the strut)

happy modding
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Struts do not affect ride height. The springs do that.

Although the ZX-2's are a popular choice, I've seen many blow them. Not sure why, but they only seem to last a few years.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”