BP timing?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jamesmx3

BP timing?

Post by jamesmx3 »

so got my BP and started to strip it, looking at the cam gears there are three marers on each, I E Z 120 degrees out from each other, on both gears. there doesnt seem to be a time when two matching letters line up.

I only have the VC off, and the top plastic cam belt cover off at the mo, and I was thinking of just putting some marks on myself, but I would like to know how to line it properly incase I strip the head then get the adjustable gears.

sorry for all the bp questions, its my first rebuild and first swap. :)
1997 1.6 16v DOHC uk spec gs, 17" wolfrace triad, 2.0l probe s/s header magnaflow high flow cat, powerflow custom catback, CAI, zx2 struts w/ -40mm lesjofors springs

http://www.uk-mx3.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
progt91
antispam: No

Re: BP timing?

Post by progt91 »

set the motor to top dead center by turning the crank and once it is there you will see all the marks that need to be lined up. use a haynes or chilton workshop manuel for reference
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

This may be duh... but since the cam gears are interchangeable, each is marked with an I and an E for exhaust and Intake.

Make sure the crank gear is at the mark, and both cam gears are at their respective marks... and pop that belt on.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29155" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This is the easiest way to show you how to set the timing.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
djArias

Post by djArias »

This may not be the smartest question to ask, but there seem to be two methods of B6DE Timing, one from the online manual and second by the link suggested by REDLINE332, I did a SIMPLE image in paint showing the two ways:

which one is correct? or are they both are?
b6BF 116hP@6431RPM ;>
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Just think about it. Both cams turn the same direction, so if the marks are lined up properly (both at top), and you turn them both at the same rate, will they ever look like the bottom picture?

No.

the bottom picture has the intake cam about 120º out. Are you sure thats not for the Exhintake mod?

Just the top picture.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
djArias

Post by djArias »

But in this picture:
http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... B1-085.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The very first picture seems to be same...
ok :) I'll do the "top" version . :)
b6BF 116hP@6431RPM ;>
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

I just had to do my timing belt (snapped on the side of the freeway). I've got the BP swap in (92 Tracer LTS) and the upper half of the picture is the right way for it. My 90 Protege BP (threw a rod) had the same timing marks.

The timing marks were the 12 o'clock ones. When I turned the cams, they never quite perfectly lined up with 12 o'clock.

Remove the spark plugs to make turning the crank easier. Jack up the passenger side of the car and remove the tire. There is a small plastic cover to get access to the crank pulley. Loosen the bolts on the crank pulley, and the alternator pulley. Remove the alternator and power steering assemblies/belts. Remove the plastic timing belt covers (easier without the alternator in the way). Turn the crank pulley to TDC (align the notch on the crank with the timing mark at 12 o'clock). If your cams line up with the timing marks (left I, right E) then you're good. If not, you may need to rotate the crank 1 turn. Still not lined up? Your timing is off.
Push the tensioner to its extreme and tighten the bolt to lock it there. Remove the timing belt. Make sure the crank is still at TDC, line the cam marks with the upper timing marks. Mine did not stay perfectly at 12 o'clock, so I used a couple zip ties and held it in position. Once they're lined up perfectly check your crank and make sure it's at TDC. Put the belt on the crank, then up to the right side of the water pump, then the right cam, then left cam, then the tensioner side of the water pump. Make sure all the slack is on the tensioner side of the belt. Release the lock bolt on the tensioner. Turn the crank clockwise 2 full turns. Do the timing marks still line up? GOOD. Turn the crank 1 5/6 turns clockwise (until the TDC notch lines up with the left belt). Tighten the tensioner lock bolt. Turn the crank 2 1/6 clockwise turns until you're back at TDC. Timing marks still good? PERFECT. Put everything else back together.
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”