Air Conditioning

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Air Conditioning

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

Hey guys, I live in Florida and my A/C gave out a while back and I'm trying to diagnose it. I installed the R-134a conversion kit and checked the pressure. It was at full pressure; but, it appears that there is some sort of clog somewhere in the system. I emptied the larger diameter pipe and found that it held pressure; but, not much volume. Hence, it's clogged. The compressor does click on and it was running when I checked the pressure. I'm not too familiar with A/C systems, so, any help would be appreciated. Is there any part in particular that is prone to clogging? The drier maybe? Thanks.
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: Air Conditioning

Post by SuperK »

Hi,

I am concerned about your retrofit, as r12 and r134 oils will "congeal" when mixed.

I would suggest renting a vacuum for the AC system, you can rent one at autozone or advanced.
let the freon out freely (just let the low pressure side fitting open and empty it out)

then attach the vacuum and suck the system dry.

You'll have to add pag46 oil to the compressor once it's completely vacuumed out. You might even have to go as far as removing the compressor and draining it, as the vacuum won't pull out all the oils.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”