KL-ZE Purchase question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
faildisk
antispam: No

KL-ZE Purchase question

Post by faildisk »

Hello, I took a look through the FAQ and a few pages of Tech but all the websites that sell KL-ZEs are either risky, dont sell them anymore, dont exist or are from Malaysia. I was wondering, were have any of you purchased any KL-ZEs from in the last year, or less and how was the price and experience? Thanks. Extra props if its in Toronto.
Daveb

Re: KL-ZE Purchase question

Post by Daveb »

There are a few guys here in Montreal & I have seen some in Toronto area too. Usually JDM (japanese domestic motor)
is were you look. I d say prices vary from 800 to a grand canadian, If you go to a scrap yard they will ask 1500 and get one from JDM guy.

Dont forgot you will need more than just the motor if you wanna do proper 200 hp swap, if you use all the parts on your car originally you may get 160 HP. Just off hand Id say Jap ECU & millenea curved neck intake to start and see forums for watever else you may need. if your car is a 94, you should probably try & find a 94 or 95 motor.

There are some on Ebay.

You should go and view motor before laying down your cash, take someone who knows what to check, KLZE are special and a regular 2.5 is not as powerful.

Good luck, I think Ill be installing a KLZE in my 94 this winter
1994 GS 5 speed 1.8, fresh black paint, flowmaster muffler & Little smelly pine tree
1993 RS 5 speed SOHC with 89,000 original KMs! (rising fast though).
1994 RS 4 cyl auto- running parts car with 104,000 KMs
faildisk

Post by faildisk »

I just noticed that Tiger Auto Parts in Toronto has it on for $554, are they a decent dealer? I heard on some Honda D-series that there pretty bad but before on here people said they were good. So im confused to say the least.
My friend is workin in Toronto till next friday, so im gonna get him to pick it up to save shippin money, so i cant pick one out. I live over in the big baren NWO.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I have heard bad things from tiger...

also 550 sounds fishy.. they may have caught on and just sell millenia usdm engines with kl31 heads.

make sure it has flat top pistons by shinning light inside, and make sure you get warranty.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Tiger Jap won't do anything to help you and if you pick the wrong engine they won't tell you. Not very honest that way but they do sell lots of cars and engines. Make sure you give your friend the head codes so he knows what to look for. Both the curved and straight neck engines produce the same power so just get the curved neck and save yourself a lot of hassel. Tiger also has ECU's and if you ask you may get one for $200 or less. Usually Tiger sells KLZEs for $800. Look for one that dosen't have the extra coolant plug as that will be a newer engine. Bon Chance Dude
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
kast2L

Post by kast2L »

Also going to need a new clutch, use ur stock flywheel if u want, fluids, check not just the stamp but the cams as well if u get a straight neck. If u get the curve they won't come with the kl31 cams which most want. May also need new mounts too. Also if you gonna use the alternator that comes with it, belts etc. All things to think about but then again I'm doing a complete rebuild almost, I'm sure the parts that came with it will be fine but brand new parts just ease my mind more than used ones sitting.
faildisk

Post by faildisk »

Is there a less chance of getting scammed if its the curved neck then? I was going to go with one of those. As long as it says KL31 on the head, and has flat pistons (Take one of the front spark plugs and shine a light in). Where abouts do i take a look for an extra coolent plug?

I'm not to worried about other details yet, i still have to take this paycheck by paycheck. I might even just end up rebuilding the thing over the winter break. :shrug: I just wanna getta good deal on the right motor, when it pops up (as it has).
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

you have less chance getting scammed if you get a straight neck.. because you can get the cam codes kl31.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Anyway, head codes should read KL31-101 and KL31-1A1*
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

If you buy a curved neck, you will not have a KLZE, you will have a millanea motor. You will have to buy a straight neck KLZE and change the intake or try the Brake master change to fit the straight neck.
1994 GS 5 speed 1.8, fresh black paint, flowmaster muffler & Little smelly pine tree
1993 RS 5 speed SOHC with 89,000 original KMs! (rising fast though).
1994 RS 4 cyl auto- running parts car with 104,000 KMs
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Daveb wrote:If you buy a curved neck, you will not have a KLZE, you will have a millanea motor. You will have to buy a straight neck KLZE and change the intake or try the Brake master change to fit the straight neck.

If he gets curved neck, chances are he will get a millenia mottor.

Now the curved neck ze and millenia motor are two different engines... I opened up a millenia engine and it had CUP pistons.

The curved neck ze has FLAT pistons. they look like the kfze pistons. Millenia engines have an egr connected to the rear of the manifold.

Eunos ze does not. Both millenia and ze have the header egr blocked, thats why alot of people are lead to believe that a millenia motor is

a real ze. Only flat pistons are ze material and millenia motors will have much more miles.
-hec

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Daveb wrote:If you buy a curved neck, you will not have a KLZE, you will have a millanea motor. You will have to buy a straight neck KLZE and change the intake or try the Brake master change to fit the straight neck.
There are both a curved-neck ZE and a straight neck ZE. The only difference is the IM's, and KL01 vs KL31 cams.

Here's more of a chance of getting scammed with a curved-neck, but if the heads are marked KL31, you should be good. There's also no reason why someone can't slap a straight-neck on a DE and call it a ZE; it bas been done.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”