MX6 lsd trans in a GS? CV joints ok? Answer - YES (sort of)

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
projectB10
Supporting Member

Re: MX6 lsd trans in a GS? CV joints ok?

Post by projectB10 »

Same deal only this is an MX3 non LSD CV axle end. Ganue....I think you are off with your 3mm estimate. I make it 10mm or so.

Eunos Presso HI-XS, KLZE, KL47 IM+TB, MX6 LSD box OEM front s/bar, Outlaw IM+TB thermalbloks, lightened K801 fly, XTD Stage 3 clutch & cover balanced to f/wheel, mbolin tranny saver , short shifter, SRD shifter bushings- H&R Springs and Koni inserts, MSpeed engine mounts, SS brake and clutch lines, PRM CAI, Whiteline rear strut and swaybar, 7x17 Konig/Maxxim Fourteen rims, and stuff.
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

OK - Thanks to everyone, we are now close to the answer. Look below - combining ProjectB10's pictures and attempting to scale them the same we have:

MX-6/Lantis LSD is on top. Mx-3 is on the bottom.

It would appear that the overall length of the LSD half shaft is about 8mm longer. Also, using an MX-3 half shaft for an LSD is bad because:

1) Only about 16 of 25mm of spline engagement occurs
2) Circlip does not snap in and hold and is off by about the 8mm
3) Spiral cuts don't exist - added lubrication??

So - still looking for that Lantis LSD halfshaft....
1993 GS SE - "slow" (Stock) - SOLD
1993 GS SE - "fast" (Curved neck KLZE, OBX headers, custom 2.5" exhaust, KL36 ECU, Exedy Probe GT clutch, KL36 LSD - the real one, Lantis Type R lefthand halfshaft - unfortunately worth mentioning)- SOLD

1993 GS SE - acquired 4/28/2013, SOLD February 28, 2015

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
2009 Mazda5 Grand Touring
projectB10
Supporting Member

Post by projectB10 »

Ok moving right along..... feeling stupid :oops:
Last edited by projectB10 on June 22nd, 2009, 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eunos Presso HI-XS, KLZE, KL47 IM+TB, MX6 LSD box OEM front s/bar, Outlaw IM+TB thermalbloks, lightened K801 fly, XTD Stage 3 clutch & cover balanced to f/wheel, mbolin tranny saver , short shifter, SRD shifter bushings- H&R Springs and Koni inserts, MSpeed engine mounts, SS brake and clutch lines, PRM CAI, Whiteline rear strut and swaybar, 7x17 Konig/Maxxim Fourteen rims, and stuff.
ionic1000

Post by ionic1000 »

I don't think he was trying to say you are wrong but simply trying to explore every option so that we will all have every available definitive answer if and when we decide to do the same! The best solution I feel is not to look at it as an attack but as acknowledgment to everyone including myself who have tried to offer their advice and opinions be it knowledgeable or a simple guess. I have hope this thread when done will be put in FAQ for all that venture to try the LSD swap.
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

PUBLIC HONORING:

Mr. projectB10 has been extremely helpful on the post and off with everything. His knowledge of vehicles sold in Japan with specific trim and options is information that we 'Mericans' don't really have access to unless we know Kanji!!!

My comment was intended to be a "thank you in advance" yet an acknowledgement that some that "know" but haven't gone through this really don't so information should be viewed carefully. The same threads exist on PT and on MX6 in various forms and in all cases someone pops up with information that is just not right and can actually - taken to the extreme - get someone hurt. project B10 HAS done this and has many postings on it.

My commitment - when this is all done I'll rewrite with all the pix and request a sticky. As of now the bottom line is exactly as stated earlier - GET THE LANTIS LEFT HAND INNER or better yet the right intermediate shaft and left complete halfshaft!!!

Sorry Chris!! :oops:
1993 GS SE - "fast" (Curved neck KLZE, OBX headers, custom 2.5" exhaust, KL36 ECU, Exedy Probe GT clutch, KL36 LSD - the real one, Lantis Type R lefthand halfshaft - unfortunately worth mentioning)- SOLD

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

Still trying to get the right parts....

Here's what I know - thankfully our friends (really) at http://www.japanparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; have helped to list what we need to include the Mazda LSD transmission in our cars. This is NOT cheap!!!

Here is the link for the driveshafts - we need the full lefthand Lantis Type R with optional LSD driveshaft (25-400Z) and, ideally, the righthand intermediate shaft - 25-700 (I machined mine so I am forgoing the extra expense - for now):

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist. ... TIS-002-00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As of this posting, the lefthand shaft is around $400 (it's new and seems to only be available from the Mazda dealer) and the righthand intermediate shaft is about $250.

Ordering is straighforward and they have been very helpful to the point that they specifically listed these parts for me (us) and they are only available through this link that they sent me via e-mail - I couldn't connect any other way.

They are currently out of stock at Mazda but I have ordered the lefthand shaft and will update as I learn more...

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
projectB10
Supporting Member

Post by projectB10 »

ganue wrote:Still trying to get the right parts....

Here's what I know - thankfully our friends (really) at http://www.japanparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; have helped to list what we need to include the Mazda LSD transmission in our cars. This is NOT cheap!!!

Here is the link for the driveshafts - we need the full lefthand Lantis Type R with optional LSD driveshaft (25-400Z) and, ideally, the righthand intermediate shaft - 25-700 (I machined mine so I am forgoing the extra expense - for now):

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist. ... TIS-002-00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As of this posting, the lefthand shaft is around $400 (it's new and seems to only be available from the Mazda dealer) and the righthand intermediate shaft is about $250.

Ordering is straighforward and they have been very helpful to the point that they specifically listed these parts for me (us) and they are only available through this link that they sent me via e-mail - I couldn't connect any other way.

They are currently out of stock at Mazda but I have ordered the lefthand shaft and will update as I learn more...
Well done Gary. Excellent work digging out all that info. Have to say that $650 (US?) is a lot of money just for an axle set!! Does that include shipping costs?

For that sort of money you open up some other options. You could get really serious and look at a helical LSD unit for $650 from MFactory
http://www.teammfactory.com/products.ph ... LSD&mod=MZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are some pros and some cons to that option though. You can use your existing factory (non viscous LSD) axles but have to strip and build up the transaxle with the replacement helical LSD unit.
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

OK - I can now report that I have received, documented, installed, and driven the car (hard) with the new Mazda Lantis Type R LSD lefthand halfshaft. The halfshaft did not come with a circlip or the outer 36mm nut but the ones from the aftermarket halfshaft fit just fine.

All is well.

No leaks even after we topped off the trans with Valvoline 75W90 Synthetic, no slippage, no goofy sounds (not that I can hear with open headers still) lots of rubber in second gear - even with the LSD, and great cornering!!!

Here are pics comparing the two halfshafts - black is the aftermarket unit for a stock MX-3 and the green unit is the Mazda OEM Lantis Type R LSD halfshaft.....

Please ask questions or post info as I plan on writing this all up succinctly for my future Mazda OE LSD-equipped KLZE brethren....

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
wytbishop

Re: MX6 lsd trans in a GS? CV joints ok? Answer - YES (sort of)

Post by wytbishop »

You get a gold star and a golf clap. That's solid work.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

wytbishop wrote:You get a gold star and a golf clap. That's solid work.
x2 excellent documentation
Acheron1502

Post by Acheron1502 »

Having visited ganue this past weekend and experiencing this beast in person, all i have to say is
:2thumbsup: Way To Go :2thumbsup:

... now, if I could only remember where I planted that money tree :wink:
92 GS 1.8 Sold
93 SE-ZE Worklog // Link to purchase thread with Mod list

Feedback Thread

What's better than going fast?
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Yay!!! I was right a long time ago lol its like I already knew they would work...
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Where can I get this axle? I woukd love to run the lantis type r tranny
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

Look above - all the info and links are there to describe and get the halfshaft....haven't checked the links recently but it should work....get ready to drop big $$$ though....

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
ganue
Supporting Member

Re: MX6 lsd trans in a GS? CV joints ok? Answer - YES (sort

Post by ganue »

OK - here's how I did it. The guys at Japan Parts are great. They know their business. Basically they will direct ship anything that is available in Japan even if they go straight to the dealer to get parts - as they did for me. THIS IS NOT CHEAP but it is cheaper than a flight to Tokyo!!!

Go here:

http://www.japanparts.com/our_parts_other.html

And use the information below to get the lefthand Lantis Type R Halfshaft:

Untitled by ganue, on Flickr

Note the price (check the exchange rate - this was in 2009, add about 15% for their profit):

Untitled by ganue, on Flickr

Today, 10/27/2012, 1 yen = $ 0.0126, so these damned thing costs, in today's dollars $559.41. So be forewarned!!

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T

Return to “Transmissions”