Do I have tranny fluid / gear fluid?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
edward_rose_77
antispam: No

Do I have tranny fluid / gear fluid?

Post by edward_rose_77 »

I have a 1993 mx-3, manual, 1.6
While the car is off, lately my transmission makes a clinky sound when I gently tap the gear shift in any direction. The tow truck driver the other day said it might need gear fluid. Now I'm wondering, does this car use transmission fluid? (Can't find a place to check the level) Gear fluid?

Edward Rose
onlytrueromeo

Re: Do I have tranny fluid / gear fluid?

Post by onlytrueromeo »

There is no real way to check the gear oil level. Your best bet is to find the drain plug (bottom of tranny), drain all the old gear oil, then fill it back up w/ some new stuff. I highly recommend Amsoil 75w90 full synthetic. (You can order it online) Do a search here, and check the online manual on the mx-3.com homepage to find out how much you need. (Cant remember the number of liters) The total cost of this will be around $30-40, but you will notice a big improvement in how shifting feels if you have stock old gear oil in there. (You might also get better mileage, I know I did)

2nd, do you have SSS? (Sloppy shifter Syndrome?) If so, you may want to look into replacing some bushings in your shifter. This will also help you shift better as your shifter won't have any more of the side to side junk.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I thought the 1.6L had an F series tranny? somebody correct me if I'm blatantly wrong... If it does have an F series you can inspect the fluid level here:

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... J1-007.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it is a G series, here is the process:

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... J2-007.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Oh, I guess you are right. It does have an F series, I had my RS, didn't know I could check fluid level.

I would still change it though, who knows how old that stuff is!
Ghostcloak

Post by Ghostcloak »

:help:

So. I have a 1993 RS (1.6L manual trans.). I want to check my transmission fluid, but I seem to be confused as to which plugs are which...

I'm trying to compare my pictures with the the manual and it's not making sense to me. :( I'm guessing Bolt #2 is the drain plug...

What are those other two sensors for? (#1 and #4)? #4 is at the "front" of the transmission case, btw.

Here are two pictures taken from the passenger side CV Axle.

This is the Speedometer Gear Cable. I've gotten the cable off. How do I go about removing the gear? Just pull it up and out?
Last edited by Ghostcloak on August 2nd, 2009, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Okay, you're making it more confusing than it is. The 92 definately has an F5MR.

If you look on the top of the tranny (lean over your engine bay) There is a thick cable coming through the firewall at about dashboard height. Thats the speedo cable. It goes down into the top and back of the transmission case, to the left of the rear engine mount bracket. Pull that out to check the fluid level. It should be almost to the top of that hole. That is the only way to check the level.

The removal isn't fun. remove the cable from your cluster to get some extra slack if needed. Its a pull and wiggle and turn manouver, I can't really describe it. Just play with it.

The plugs on the case, the two wire sensors are the neutral and reverse sensors. (1 and 4)
2 is the drain plug and 3 is unimportant. Don't play with it.

It looks like your yellow circles are the speedo gear.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Ghostcloak

Post by Ghostcloak »

Alright, I'll play with the gear a bit more... I appreciate it. Once I get it off, I'll be using a small syphon to fill it up. This gear is being a pain to remove though. :oops:
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Yeah, its hard to fill. Don't exactly want to just dump fluid down there, gets messy, and the top of the tranny case is so countoured it has cups to hold fluid (Like leaked coolant, which stinks when hot :evil: )

Best of luck, maybe try removing the intake to make it easier, and the battery.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Ghostcloak

Post by Ghostcloak »

Oh god. It was a piece of cake. I was worried about the gear (I'm used to Porsche 944 plastic gears breaking on me... such a pita... ) It was all easy... Hell, this was my first time, and really, there's nothing to it.

Speedo Gear Sender

Speedo Gear Location, looking from the top of the engine bay from the passenger side, in between the firewall and the throttle body:
Speedo sensor has been pulled off in this picture. Notice the "Oil Full and Low" casting mark:

Easy enough. I was checking because I've got oil on the bottom of my transmission and I thought the transmission was leaking... I guess it's motor oil, but oddly enough, when I check the oil level it never budges... Great, now I've got a leaking gremlin. :roll:

^Thanks for sticking around buddy :)
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Thanks for posting the solution. It really kills a thread when its all questions and no answer or resolution.

Edit:

P.S. Mazdas are leakers in this generation. Just expect an oily engine.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Ghostcloak

Post by Ghostcloak »

This is what you are looking for from the top. This is the speed sensor.

I was able to do everything form below the car. However, it helps me if I can see what I need to get to from multiple angles. You can also reach the sensor from the top of the engine bay without removing the intake, if your arms are long and flexible enough...

You'll need a 10mm socket to remove the small bolt holding the sensor in place.
I believe the drain bolt is a 23mm (the largest I have is a 22mm, and that seemed to be a size too small)

First unscrew the cap holding the wire/plug onto the speedometer sensor. I was able to do this by hand. Then use the 10mm socket to remove the bolt securing the speedometer sensor. I first twisted the sensor left and right, while pulling up until finally it came undone.

It took me a while to get it all back together so here are two tips to help you guys out. First, I reconnected the wire/plug back to the speedometer sensor before re-installing the sensor back onto the transmission. The reason for this is because there is a single spline on the end of the cable that must match up with the space on the sensor. It's easier if attach these together first, otherwise, it's going to be luck trying to get the cable onto the sensor once the sensor is installed. After you get the cable onto the sensor, simple reinstall the sensor, "rotating" it back and forth until it slides down back into the transmission.

To fill, I would simply use some clear tubing and funnel the fluid in from the top of the engine.

Simple enough. :)

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”