Legal Limits/Issues: Tinting the front windshield

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
SuperK
Supporting Member

Legal Limits/Issues: Tinting the front windshield

Post by SuperK »

I want to replace my front windshield. Is there a common legal limit or law that inhibits/prevents front windshields from being tinted?

Let me be more specific. I don't want the windshield DARK, I want it to be somewhat anti-glare or slightly reflective. Just the tiniest of anti-glare would do miracles for both the sun reflecting on the shiny dash, and also just the tiniest of reflective film would keep the cabin significantly cooler.

I've noticed there are a significant amount of vehicles that seems to have some type of darker film or coating.

Can anyone elaborate on what the exact limits/rules are?
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Legal Limits/Issues: Tinting the front windshield

Post by mitmaks »

you might get away with it if you're sensitive to the sun (doctor prescription) Most windshields come with blue/dark stripe on top of them.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Most front windshields come fron the factory with a degree of tint, which is determined by the regulations for that time. If you look at the corner of the windshield, most have an incription. In that inscription you'll read "Transparency: XX%", in which "XX" will be the minimum transparency allowed by law at the time. Other than that, the tiniest amount of extra tint will land you, to my knowledge, in court.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

you should look up the code for your state online and it will tell you what is actually allowed. At that point you can choose what you want to do and how much risk you are willing to take. It seems if the whole windshield was coated with 75% or 50% that would do the trick for you. I have known people that will do 5% on all the other windows and 35% on the front and that is VERY dark but very cool 8)

Instead of tinting the entire windshield, I prefer a larger strip across the top (just as illegal). In Oregon, the strip can be 6 inches...
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

speaking of tinting issues, I have 2 questions:

1. What do you think of this:

http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. What do you guys recommend in terms of tinting? Is 50% good? I was thinking 50% on the sides and back, and a strip on the windshield.

Return to “Appearance”