Thinking of getting rid of power steering, need advice

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

Thinking of getting rid of power steering, need advice

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I've driven a car without power steering before. No biggie.
Are there are any belts available if I do get rid of power steering?
Any noticeable gains?
On my CRX that has no power steering, the hardest time to steer is at a dead stop. But while driving, steering is almost no different than if the car had power steering.
Would it be the same on a MX3 considering it is about 700lbs heavier than my CRX?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
hgallegos915

Re: Thinking of getting rid of power steering, need advice

Post by hgallegos915 »

Get the rack out of a mazda 323 , manual rack.

I did it and works well :D I dont even know i dont hav power steering when im moving.

It was easy to swap over and delete the pulley.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

hgallegos915 wrote:Get the rack out of a mazda 323 , manual rack.

I did it and works well :D I dont even know i dont hav power steering when im moving.

It was easy to swap over and delete the pulley.
What do you mean by manual rack?
Where exactly is it located?
So its not as easy as just taking out my power steering pump and replacing the belt with a shorter belt?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=65960" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

my mx-3 is daily driver. There is no way i'd get rid of p/s. My Cobra is already non p/s car, one is enough! lol
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
garretc16

Post by garretc16 »

whats the point in that?
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

if you read through the linked topic above, you'll see that changing over to a manual rack lightens up the car and doesn't make a difference in power needed (or close enough to p/s)
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

A lot of people complain about the tendency of the power steering rack to leak. That's the motivation for some to swap over. Mostly people believe that the engine will be robbed of less HP if it doesn't have to drive the power steering pump. This is true, but it's pretty negligible.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I drove the car with the stock steering rack disconnected and belt not there.. and it was HARD to steer.. annoying. I didnt like it. Thats why I swapped to manual steering track, the manual steering rack is a bit more hard but not as hard as just disconnecting and leaving the stock one in. Also my steering pump kept on leaking.. i replaced it TWICE... that gasket is hard to come by.. POS!

Now that I replaced my rack.. I dont leave any puddles of steering fluid(I used transmission fluid) it freed up space in engine bay. I am quite pleased!

I used a manual steering rack from a mazda 323 that I got from here, works awesome! I highly recommend it!
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”