wow!! eveything fell in my lap.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mzdamx3rsdohc

wow!! eveything fell in my lap.

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

so as many people ave read im gathering parts to turbo my mx3. from another post i was linked to a great deal on a new manifold which i will be gettin in a week and a bit. but from a gtx forum i found a rusty cracked manifold(just to get everything roughed in and figure out piping, stock gtx turbo which i am going to use over the probe gt mx6 for the first bit intercooler, etc. i want to use a stock turbo sytem to get it running right then move onto a frontmount and hard pipes, probe/tbird turbo, etc. but i have a few questions.. especially for rsobd2 i think and thos who have done this. any opinions are welcome also.

1- gtx ecu and wiring harness. is the harness compatible with the engines sensors? this wouldnt be to bad up to 16psi as the reich racing ecu upgrade is cheap and their plentyful as people swap to bpt's or standalone engine management. i dont have a problem with using a FMU i understand their not the best and you cant control timing, anti lag, launch control, high/low boost etc. but they've been around since the late 50's and were used sucessfully until more recent forms of management, and are used on new expensive sports car supercharger kits(newer stang, vette, camaro)

2- injectors? are gtx injectors the same impedience? which would i be better with gtx, 1st gen mx6/probe, N/A rx7 fc, turbo2 rx7(these are 550's though i think and that seems like overkill

3- fuel pump walbro 255 or 190... a 190 supports 350 hp and a 255 750hp(seems overkill)

4- what plugs should i be getting? obviously 1 or 2 stages colder. where do i gap them too?

5-timing where should i be setting this to?

6-oil feed, i saw the thread on this in forced induction but what adaptor would be in a rona home depot or wholesaler(im a gas fitter) so i have access to lots of fittings if some could tell me what threads to get.

7- oil return i tap the oil pan above the oil level?
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Re: wow!! eveything fell in my lap.

Post by nos92mx3 »

Fwiw a walbro 255 will not support 750 hp.
500 is a stretch with the stock fuel lines.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

the oil galley fitting (hex plug, drivers side between disty and tb) is a 1/8 british standard thread. I should have pics on my WL for the oil feed and drain today. You'll want to tap as high as pos.
I would also suggest using an oil pressure regulator (fitting). Sold at JGS precision turbo. It mates to 1/8npt. So for my oil supply.. it is as follows:
1/8bspt -> 1/8npt(oil pressure) -> 1/8 x -4 elbow -> turbo.

I still say go electronic: timing retard/fueling/boost regulation etc. FWIK a good fmu is only about 150-200 less than a piggy.
Many people hate on the piggy for obvious reasons but there are a couple good brands out there.
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

okay thanks- ill look over your WL for the pics... i would rather go with a piggyback like a S-afc, and i saw a write-up for the 94 mx.. how much adjustability do i get over fuel mapping, timing etc.? and do i need a certain unit or any is compatible
i understand the importance of engine management and a motor can blow at 5psi if its a shitty job... but at 6-8psi(whatevers stock) i really feel i should be fine for a a month by that time i could source a vj-11 as im using a vj-14 right now, a front mount, hard piping and piggyback so i can pump some more psi.

what does that oil press. reg do? is it just a smaller orfice to limit the amount of oil to the turbo?

im really leary now about the FMU as i can tell your steering me away... but to be fair i work all winter out west and come back in the summer and live off my savings... ive been doing this for three years and have built up a savings in which im comfortable with taking out 800 every two weeks including my spending as im in college till december and cant deplete myself as i hate working in the summers, when i can work on the car and float in the pool drinking... so im not buying anything for a week and a bit as ive spent enough this week and its easy to lose track and spend 5gs in two weeks with going out... next time i go to the bank im buying a manifold from corksport off a fellow member, fuel pump, 1st gen mx6 injectors as the n/a fc's are to big i think and gtxs to small if i plan on upping the boost to 15 psi later on. i already have a rusty cracked(by the o2) mani im using now to mock up my set-up now. so then i should have it running and could look towards piggy back and front mount...

im not going to be driving the car till after sept10th as i have 4 points come off my license so im going to wait as my rates will drastically drop as im at 13 now and will be at 9. so hopefully ill be under 1000 a month...lmao(shakes head in dissapointment) so realistically it will be running with the fmu maybe go around the block but it wont see any km's and by when its on the road ill get a piggyback as it does seem to be the bare minimum for daily driving... moneys not a issue to much into the mx is if that makes sense...

but off-topic thanks again for your replies and help... i really appreciate it
Last edited by mzdamx3rsdohc on July 23rd, 2009, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

If you use 440cc injectors from an rx7, it will be alot easier to tune your idle and better on gas and should be plug and play, 550 are kind of overkill unless going for VJ23 or a T3 setup with lots of boost. As far as the fuel pump, most people go for 255 since it is easier to find and it wont make a difference in your fuel pressure, your fpr does that, it will just make sure you have the fuel supply there. If you want to be safe, retard your timing 2-3 degrees but it is not completely necessary for low boost. I know you are thinking about just using an fmu, but you could get a megasquirt standalone system and have alot more flexibility for not much more money (I paid $300 for mine with a harness). Either way, it sounds like it'll be a good setup and good luck.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

when it comes to your injectors.. you have some issues to work out first. MOST piggys will not be able to support greater than a 50% gain in size... ~400cc limit with an SAFC or crap like it. You may still have a rich idle. you must also make sure that they are high impedance. IE RX7 460's are ok 550cc (or whatever the turbo's have) are low and will require a resistor box/ injector driver in order for it to work. So, until you decide what you want to run your injectors, you can't really decide what injectors to get.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

mzdamx3rsdohc wrote: 1- gtx ecu and wiring harness. is the harness compatible with the engines sensors? this wouldnt be to bad up to 16psi as the reich racing ecu upgrade is cheap and their plentyful as people swap to bpt's or standalone engine management. i dont have a problem with using a FMU i understand their not the best and you cant control timing, anti lag, launch control, high/low boost etc. but they've been around since the late 50's and were used sucessfully until more recent forms of management, and are used on new expensive sports car supercharger kits(newer stang, vette, camaro)
For engine management, ask your self three things: How much control do you want, what is your power goal, and what is your budget. These two things should help you out. Stock ecus are good for stock turbo/boost/injectors. FMU are a band-aid at most(this largely depends on your goal). Piggybacks are just that, and standalones are the wisest choice. You just made a good list of things that you want to control, so why not. With megasquirt ecus available for a few hundred its a good investment. If DIY is not your thing then there are aforementioned alternatives.
mzdamx3rsdohc wrote:2- injectors? are gtx injectors the same impedience? which would i be better with gtx, 1st gen mx6/probe, N/A rx7 fc, turbo2 rx7(these are 550's though i think and that seems like overkill
Most factory injectors are high impedance, with the exception of a few. Again your power goal will determine what you get, any extra "cc" is there for your pizza mind. Not overkill.
mzdamx3rsdohc wrote:3- fuel pump walbro 255 or 190... a 190 supports 350 hp and a 255 750hp(seems overkill)
A 190 would suffice.
mzdamx3rsdohc wrote:4- what plugs should i be getting? obviously 1 or 2 stages colder. where do i gap them too?
I'll look up the part number of the ngk vpowers I use. They're a good cold plug and come pre-gapped.
mzdamx3rsdohc wrote:5-timing where should i be setting this to?
If your gonna use a stock ecu, keep in mind that when you advance the timing at idle, you're shifting the whole timing map that many degrees across the board. If your going standalone, keep in mind that with lower boost you run a good amount of advanced timing. I run about 20-25 deg timing on 8 psi with a 57 trim. But at target boost and power keep it low in the teens. 15 deg is a good place to start, lower than 10 you won't make squat.

Redline322 wrote:If you use 440cc injectors from an rx7, it will be alot easier to tune your idle and better on gas and should be plug and play, 550 are kind of overkill unless going for VJ23 or a T3 setup with lots of boost.
What makes larger "low impedance" injectors harder to tune is that they require very low opening times at idles. For example, my 880cc injectors require a minimum turn on time of 1.03-1.13 ms to create a stable flow at 1000 rpms and 60 kpa. That's 1% duty cycle and any lower than that and they wont turn on. Now if an rx7 550cc injector is a high impedance injector and would require higher opening times such as 1.3 ms or higher at 1000 rpms and 60 kpa.
So you wouldn't get an idle that lumps and dumps.

I wouldn't consider 550cc injectors overkill especially if you have a way to fully control them. And if your power goal is somewhere under 350hp they should be fine. Now if you go over 85% duty cycle with any injector and you haven't reached your goal yet, then you need to upgrade.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

i know have in my hand
1-vj-14, serial number rbh5 or something...
2-manifold
3-stock bypass valve
4-gtx aluminum oil pan with a oil return already attached(?does this fit)? mines not in the greatest shape so hopefully
5-piping from the turbo to their vaf, as im sure i can use this, but all the other piping was useless..
6- oil return line

do i put my airflow sensor before the turbo? or between it and the throttle body? their bypass valve and maf is before the turbo..the gtx uses 330 cc injectors is that more suitable then the rx's for low stock boost?im definatly going to have to set a goal and choose a better method of fuel management...i couldnt believe the parts he has. the whole garage is full can barely even walk... he has sets of rods and pistons, rods, blocks, 8 cranks, bunch of heads... so i think i found my bottom end..lol..
1- i have to go back and get the intercooler for 20$ or go front mount... what are you guys using for your piping? could i go to a exhaust shop and just take some measurements and get some cut and shaped how i need it...

coolant lines, where do you pick up coolant, and where do you return it?

egr- i noticed the manifolds dont have any. do i just unplug mine and block it or plug the tube?

oil feed restrictor- can some please explain what will happen if i dont get this, as theres a small hole for the oil feed that is way smaller than the return. that doesnt restrict it enough? and can i get one locally i dont have a credit card, to buy online...

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”