bent shift shaft on trans now what?!

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
hgallegos915

Re: bent shift shaft on trans now what?!

Post by hgallegos915 »

I didnt believe the dropped gears problem.. until it hapened to me .. TUN TUN TUNNNNNN!

really :( well my friends mx3 when we were working on it. On mine it didnt do that , but I did use a round piece of broom to hold gears in place tho.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

Stupid auto parts store I had to wait all day to get my new axle seals... Am gonna give this a go tomorrow, and about that thing falling out I hope it goes back in easy.
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

wagZE wrote:Stupid auto parts store I had to wait all day to get my new axle seals... Am gonna give this a go tomorrow, and about that thing falling out I hope it goes back in easy.
Believe me: with or without tutorial, the differential spider gears are the least of your problems. Especially if this is your first transmission.
Take your time, and document everything you do.
It'll make your life much easier.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

So I was just gonna use my burnt old transmission and swap sensors and rubber pieces. As soon as I got the old axle piece out that was stuck in the damm piece that the axle gears slide into fell into the transmission. This is a nightmare. A real night mare. I stuck something in the other side like hec said to hold the other side in but now I can't find the other in there. There seems to be a rounded washer floating in there aswell.
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

hgallegos915 wrote:I didnt believe the dropped gears problem.. until it hapened to me .. TUN TUN TUNNNNNN!

really :( well my friends mx3 when we were working on it. On mine it didnt do that , but I did use a round piece of broom to hold gears in place tho.
Howd you or he fix?
This is bad
Inodoro Pereyra

wagZE wrote:So I was just gonna use my burnt old transmission and swap sensors and rubber pieces. As soon as I got the old axle piece out that was stuck in the damm piece that the axle gears slide into fell into the transmission. This is a nightmare. A real night mare. I stuck something in the other side like hec said to hold the other side in but now I can't find the other in there. There seems to be a rounded washer floating in there aswell.
It's not a nightmare, but it is a fairly complicated job. Remember: you're just trying to do alone, with no more help than an internet article and a few suggestions, a job that took most of us a long time to learn, even with somebody else holding our hand.
I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm trying to prepare you. Just take your time.
Doesn't matter if you need a couple hours to move a part, or to take out a bolt. Look at it, study it, until you're comfortable that nothing will happen. And take pictures. Remember you have to put it back together afterwards.

Diogenes of Sinope.
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

Well I ditched the taking apart tranny idea shortly after starting I am not capable or comfortable putting that back together and putting in my car. Iam using a spare one I had from a few years back... But the dif spider gears fell I can get one side but not the other... Have been struggling for hours. This almost seems hopeless.
Inodoro Pereyra

It's not hopeless. You're just in over your head.
I disassembled and reassembled my first transmission when I was 8 years old, with my cousin (who was just a few months away from getting his mechanics engineer's degree) looking over my shoulder and guiding me the whole time. That was a 3 speed, non synchronized tranny from a Citroen 2CV, and even with such a simple machine, it took us 2 full days to finish the job (that he alone could've probably finished in an hour), and when we went to test the car, we realized we had put the differential backwards (it's not suppossed to fit that way... :oops: ), and now the car was doing reverse in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, and going forward in reverse!

You, on the other hand, are trying to fix a 5 speed SYNCHRONIZED tranny, with very little help (if any at all). So, don't feel bad. As I suggested at the beginning, cut your losses, if you have another tranny, use it, or else, go to a junkyard and get another one. Believe me, the tranny's cost will be nothing compared with what you'll save on aspirin...

Diogenes of Sinope.
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:It's not hopeless. You're just in over your head.
I disassembled and reassembled my first transmission when I was 8 years old, with my cousin (who was just a few months away from getting his mechanics engineer's degree) looking over my shoulder and guiding me the whole time. That was a 3 speed, non synchronized tranny from a Citroen 2CV, and even with such a simple machine, it took us 2 full days to finish the job (that he alone could've probably finished in an hour), and when we went to test the car, we realized we had put the differential backwards (it's not suppossed to fit that way... :oops: ), and now the car was doing reverse in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, and going forward in reverse!

You, on the other hand, are trying to fix a 5 speed SYNCHRONIZED tranny, with very little help (if any at all). So, don't feel bad. As I suggested at the beginning, cut your losses, if you have another tranny, use it, or else, go to a junkyard and get another one. Believe me, the tranny's cost will be nothing compared with what you'll save on aspirin...
Oh dang eight? I got to at least be able to get these axle gears back in place. I mean one wouldn't have to disassemble s g series tranny to move those two things back into place to be able to get axles in right? I mean I can't live with the fact that neither of these two trannys will work now.
Inodoro Pereyra

WagZE: you're making me feel like cr@p.
I was eight, but I had an almost engineer behind me, every step of the way, and the tranny was the simplest kind of tranny you could ask for. And even then, WE ASSEMBLED IT WRONG!!!

Believe me: you did great!
Now, forget about it, and get your car moving...

Diogenes of Sinope.
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

Can't get those things to line up right gonna have to take it to tranny shop Monday dam

Return to “Transmissions”