The Orange Menace: TAKE II

A forum for posting automotive related Images & Video Clips. (Please keep it clean, no profanity or offensive material.)
timpronk

Re: The Orange Menace: TAKE II

Post by timpronk »

so what was the outcome of the dyno pull Oscar?
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

The wastegate was opening too abruptly causing a massive pressure loss.

The best I saw was 170 WHP at 4K RPM

Extrapolating (assuming constant) would have yielded well over 200+ WHP

I've sourced and purchased 2 motors.... I should have enough parts till kingdom come.
OSKY
95 MX-3 GS ZE Turbo: MSnS-extra, AEM WB, Blitz boost controller, MSD 6A w/ Blaster2 Coil, ZE disty, Redtops @ 550, Walbro 255, Garrett T3/T04E 60 Trim w/ .63 A/R, 38mm Deltagate Mark II @4psi, FMIC, Apexi BOV, CM Dual friction, 4-6.25 Kickers, 2ch Alpine V12. That's Alll.

http://www.pakfeifertuning.com
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

Make sure you keep us posted!
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

hey very nice car man...

very nice setup...

i just hope you wont do like me and blow the ze :S

i have a couple of questions for you...

how much boost u running?

where did you relocate your coolant tank?

what kind of bov do you have? i like the sound...

do you have a picture of the car with the front bumper mounted...or a pic of the front so i can see how low your intercooler is...
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

Lol. Its been a while.

As it stands to date, I've swapped out the old motor and found that I had thrown a rod. I have kept my worklog up to date with pics, you can see there the chunk of rod that broke off.

The new ZE w/ kl31 cams this time, is back in and just waiting for some good weather so that I can top off the fluids and see if she'll start.. The motor looked really good so im hopeful everything will go without a hitch.

I removed the EGR a--'y and the AC compressor so she's leaner now!

For comparison, a G35 also puts down 170 whp @ 4k RPM... I was pleased to find that out.

Hopefully by this weekend I'll have a new video of the beast running.
OSKY
95 MX-3 GS ZE Turbo: MSnS-extra, AEM WB, Blitz boost controller, MSD 6A w/ Blaster2 Coil, ZE disty, Redtops @ 550, Walbro 255, Garrett T3/T04E 60 Trim w/ .63 A/R, 38mm Deltagate Mark II @4psi, FMIC, Apexi BOV, CM Dual friction, 4-6.25 Kickers, 2ch Alpine V12. That's Alll.

EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

johnmx3ze wrote:hey very nice car man...

very nice setup...

do you have a picture of the car with the front bumper mounted...or a pic of the front so i can see how low your intercooler is...
Check my worklog, I blew the last ZE on the dyno.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=66123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was only running 4 psi

I eliminated the coolant tank as any overflow will simply drain to the floor; remember this car no longer is a daily driver for me.

The BOV is an APEXi

The IC sits above the bumper, if anything, the bumper scrapes but not the IC... I'll see if I have any pics.. my worklog should have some.
OSKY

johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

EZ_4_FUN wrote:Lol. Its been a while.

As it stands to date, I've swapped out the old motor and found that I had thrown a rod. I have kept my worklog up to date with pics, you can see there the chunk of rod that broke off.

The new ZE w/ kl31 cams this time, is back in and just waiting for some good weather so that I can top off the fluids and see if she'll start.. The motor looked really good so im hopeful everything will go without a hitch.

I removed the EGR a--'y and the AC compressor so she's leaner now!

For comparison, a G35 also puts down 170 whp @ 4k RPM... I was pleased to find that out.

Hopefully by this weekend I'll have a new video of the beast running.

lol thats what happened to me too.. the rod was in pieces in the oil pan...
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

SHE'S ALIVE!!!!

A a long and drawn out swap due to poor weather conditions and a full-time job, I'm extremely please to report that I got the new ZE started.. ZOOM ZOOM!!

A couple things I noticed:

-Massive oil leak coming from the new oil cooler adapter I installed. I'm wondering if I need to up the size of oil filter required (most likely)

-Air temp read -3 when its closer to 8 deg... this will lead to harder cold starts but since the car is not a winter vehicle that means it will mainly see warmer temps, making it easier to start... In other words...

"IF IT ANIT BROKE, DON'T FIX"

Im just glad to see her start. a few tweaks and she should be ready for a late track run this month!
OSKY

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

johnmx3ze wrote:hey very nice car man...

very nice setup...

I watched the videos over and over.. that sound is not the bov, it sounds like compressor surge.

Oscar, got any more vids on how that bov sounds?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

Its the classis Apex-i BOV.

I should be taking her out this weekend seeing how the weather should be on our side. first drive since the new ZE swap after blowing the motor on the Dyno...

sounds far quieter than the last and more responsive (throttle based).
OSKY

EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

hgallegos915 wrote:
I watched the videos over and over.. that sound is not the bov, it sounds like compressor surge.

Oscar, got any more vids on how that bov sounds?

Im not sure what video you are referring to but off the top of my head, the only sound that you may be confused with is that of the wastegate opening up. its on a 4psi spring with the set screw fully pulled out. The W.G was opening way to easily and so the premature "whoshing sound".

Ive gotten a replacement 9psi spring but before swapping it in, i've pushed the set screw all the way in. I will re-test it and see if im getting the same effect. Im pretty sure it will be fine now.
OSKY

Return to “Images/Videos Forum”