Changed engines from a 97 to a 91 wont start (solved)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Norwegian81

Changed engines from a 97 to a 91 wont start (solved)

Post by Norwegian81 »

Hi, becouse of oil consumption I changed my engine. My old one was a 97 1.8 and the one
I put in is a 91 1.8. I know there are some minor difrences but I cant imagen that there should be a problem.

Now my problem is this; Everything I can think of is hooked up and pluged in.
The car crankes and turnes over but I dont seem to get any sparks, so it wont start.
Anything anyone can think of that I forgot or what can be the problem? (Solved)

Also, the the clutch pedal wont return when I press it inn, anyone got an idea on this? (solved)

Regards
Norwegian81
Last edited by Norwegian81 on July 11th, 2009, 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
marcdh

Re: Changed engines from a 97 to a 91 wont start

Post by marcdh »

Are you using the distributor that came with your car? Make sure you do the wiring changed over the years.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

I noticed that they where difrent but I dident think that it would mather.
I'll try changing it over tomorrow, tank you ;)

Also any takers on my clutch pedal problem?

Regards
Norwegian81
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Hey not to jack the thread.. but WHAT do you NEED to get an ob2 engine running in an obd1 mx3? We want to keep theobd1 set up, just change the disty? and the sensors out?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

Hi hgallegos915, I'm not sure what the difrence is with the OBD1 and the OBD2 I would recon it's the alternator like marcdh said, cant say about the sensors. Problem is that in Norway, as far as I have managed to find out, all the engines ranging from 91 to 98 came with OBD1.

regards
Norwegian81
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

Ok so I've changed over the distributor like marcdh said (thanks :D ) and it starts, the clutch pedal broblem also got solved by airing it.

But when i started it it ran fine, went for a test drive and there were a massive power loss and it were stalling (dont know if it's the right word). Seemed like there where timing isues maybe.
Will the engine start if I put the Distributor on 180 degreas wrong?
What otherthings can be the problem? (Solved)

Regards
Norwegian81
hgallegos915

Re: Changed engines from a 97 to a 91 wont start (solved)

Post by hgallegos915 »

How did you solve the timing problem?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Norwegian81

Re: Changed engines from a 97 to a 91 wont start (solved)

Post by Norwegian81 »

hgallegos915: I dont know if it where a timing problem or not, I took the distributor out, changed the spark plug wires and put it back in. The engine seems to be mutch beter now, however it still seems to be lacking some power becouse it still sudently givs more power out. I think I need to just fine adjust the distributor alittle. I will ask some of the car mechanics at work tomorrow.

Regards
Norwegian81

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”