G-Tech and the like

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
Inodoro Pereyra

G-Tech and the like

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

I'm thinking on buying an accelerometer to help me tune my car.
My problem is I only know of the G-Tech unit.
Does anybody know if there's another better/more evolved unit within the same price range?
Thanks in advance... :)
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: G-Tech and the like

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

check out the "dynolishous" or whatever it called. It's an aplication for Iphone / Ipod (series?)
it's a $12.00 ap and has proven to work better than the Gtech. There is a youtube vid on it. One of our memebers posted the link about a year ago. See if you can search for it. Worth while if you are a mac supporter.
Inodoro Pereyra

Thanks RS.
I've been reading a lot on the Dynolicious, and, for what it looks like, only the people at Garage 419 seem to think it's better than the G Tech. There are several reviews that compare the dynolicious with the Vbox, and the general consensus seems to be that it's a bit inconsistent...
Anyways, the price sure is interesting. 8)

Diogenes of Sinope.
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

I seriously doubt it is as accurate or as user friendly for that matter as a g-tech. Those things are sweet, I remember when I first gtech'd my ze mx3... It was a 14.9 . I learned to drive it better after that. Anyways GPS is not 100% accurate, there is no way that one GPS activated cell phone program can be as accurate as a g-tech
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

wagZE wrote:I seriously doubt it is as accurate or as user friendly for that matter as a g-tech. Those things are sweet, I remember when I first gtech'd my ze mx3... It was a 14.9 . I learned to drive it better after that. Anyways GPS is not 100% accurate, there is no way that one GPS activated cell phone program can be as accurate as a g-tech
Well the Iphone and Itouch don't use GPS for Dynolicious, nor are they GPS capable. I have Dynolicious on my Ipod touch, and prefer it to the old GTechs, but the new ones look much better. Dynolicious is cool for the money, it's all relative, and relative readings is what it gives you. Providing you mount it correctly it is pretty consistent. It uses the built in accelerometer, which is what ?most/all? Gtech use also. So essentially the biggest difference between the units is the software and firmware that process the accelerometer's input. Dynolcious is very user friendly, since the 2.0 update. I can't say how accurate it is but it gives me the ability to at least compare.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

back on topic with the first post.. I don't believe either unit should be used to tune a car. 0-6, hp and 1320 times are all well and good, none should be used to tune a car. AFR and fuel/ignition maps should be utilized on a dyno with a professional tuner.
A street tune is sketchy at best.
mazpr
antispam: No

Post by mazpr »

I got a G-Tech, the one that looks like a black brownie box. So far after 3 years always consistent, I would never use it for tuning.

Invest in a wideband, costs 200 plus minus on EGay.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I have a gtech that looks like a radar detector if u wanna get it cheap pm me
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Inodoro Pereyra

hgallegos915 wrote:I have a gtech that looks like a radar detector if u wanna get it cheap pm me
Thanks. I just had my car stolen about a month ago, so I won't be needing the G-tech for a while... :crying:

Anyways, I want to make something clear: when I talked about tunning the car with the G-Tech, I didn't mean to do it ONLY with it. But using it for the initial tunning could get me in the ballpark, and save me a lot of dyno time.

Mazpr: EGay??? :lol:

Diogenes of Sinope.

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”