Running badly, Limp mode?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
cthb533

Running badly, Limp mode?

Post by cthb533 »

1992 1.8L v6 auto.

I'm pretty sure the car has put itself into limp mode. You can't accelerate very fast and you cant go very fast. You can rev the engine when it's in park but when you put it in drive the car sputters before it will start moving.

It's throwing engine codes 25 and 69.

If I unplug the coolant temperature sensor the problem goes away and the car runs just fine, so I bought a new one, put it in and the problem was still there. Any ideas?
Mad Cow

Re: Running badly, Limp mode?

Post by Mad Cow »

Code 69 is for the fan sensor, which is the black one. It's different from the green one, which the ECU uses. Are you sure that you bought the right one and plugged the right connector into it? The green connector goes with the green sensor and the black goes with the black. It sounds like maybe you bought a black sensor and plugged the green connector into it.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
cthb533

Post by cthb533 »

I pulled the black sensor off my running mx-3 and put it in this one and the fans run normally now but it still has revving issues, and still if I pull the wire off of the green temp sensor it runs fine(have already tried a replacement sensor). Also when you hit the gas you can hear a whistling noise up near the throttle body. It sounds like a spray can almost. Not sure if this is normal or a vacuum leak.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

cthb533 wrote:I pulled the black sensor off my running mx-3 and put it in this one and the fans run normally now but it still has revving issues, and still if I pull the wire off of the green temp sensor it runs fine(have already tried a replacement sensor). Also when you hit the gas you can hear a whistling noise up near the throttle body. It sounds like a spray can almost. Not sure if this is normal or a vacuum leak.
Mine has that sounds too, I never did figure out what it was, probably something to do with a vacuum leak from the EGR removal. So check your vacuum lines.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”