how much hp would i net if:

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
dash
antispam: No

how much hp would i net if:

Post by dash »

i put a cold air intake and ram air into my k8?

and before you even start, i know it would be smarter to drop a klze in there. :shrug:
Who else drives a stock silver 94 GS?
VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA
dash

Re: how much hp would i net if:

Post by dash »

oh, i also know that it would more so make the accelerator more responsive, making me feel faster.
im just interested in the hp i would get.

thank you.
VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

You wouldn't net anything, you might free up a couple, and get a cool sound to boot!
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

2? 3? 1?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

In a silver '94 GS, with good compression, you'll get 1¼HP with a good CAI. WIth true ram air like mine, you'll get 2HP.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

I've put damn near every bolt on you can onto my K8, and it's still slow as hell. All I care about for now until I get called back to work is that I can beat a b16 and still get good mileage and make my EI stretch hahaha
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
muttpower

Post by muttpower »

Depends on the set up you use...meaning if your "cold air intake" is sucking up hot engine bay air, then you wont really gain anything but a nice sound when you blip the throttle. Now If you do a decent custom "true cold air intake", ie. filter located in driver side fender area, etc, than your gains could be anywhere from 2 to 5 hp. The main benifit of the true cold air intake is that when the motor gets to operating temp, the stock filter location sucks up hot air causing a loss in power, where as the cold air intake sucks up cooler outside air. Don't believe the hype about intakes netting 15 horsepower gains. Maybe on a turboed ze with built internals, but not a stock K8.
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
dash

Post by dash »

muttpower wrote:Depends on the set up you use...meaning if your "cold air intake" is sucking up hot engine bay air, then you wont really gain anything but a nice sound when you blip the throttle. Now If you do a decent custom "true cold air intake", ie. filter located in driver side fender area, etc, than your gains could be anywhere from 2 to 5 hp. The main benifit of the true cold air intake is that when the motor gets to operating temp, the stock filter location sucks up hot air causing a loss in power, where as the cold air intake sucks up cooler outside air. Don't believe the hype about intakes netting 15 horsepower gains. Maybe on a turboed ze with built internals, but not a stock K8.
on your worklog site there, the intake you've done is "true" cold air, correct?
did you have to cut a hole, and would i have to fabricate that myself?
VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA
muttpower

Post by muttpower »

Yes, I fabricated my intake myself, and no, I didn't have to cut a hole. There is ample space in the area between the driver side fender and coolant resevoir. It's not too hard to fab up a custom intake. If I'm not mistaken, there's a faq/diy topic on this.
dash

Post by dash »

muttpower wrote:Yes, I fabricated my intake myself, and no, I didn't have to cut a hole. There is ample space in the area between the driver side fender and coolant resevoir. It's not too hard to fab up a custom intake. If I'm not mistaken, there's a faq/diy topic on this.
once again, ive asked a question before searching in any way.

what type of metal did you use?
VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA
muttpower

Post by muttpower »

I just bought 3 inch aluminum intercooler piping and a crap load of clamps and silicone couplers. You can normally find piping kits on ebay for cheap. To cut them to size, you can either use a pipe cutter(if you have one) or a cut off tool(much faster).
dash

Post by dash »

i suppose i just buy this stuff at auto parts stores?
or more specific? i would really like to do this.
VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA
muttpower

Post by muttpower »

Like I said, Ebay would be the best bet. But some autoparts/racing supply stores should have it as well. Or you could just go the ghetto way and use pvc piping :throwup:
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

fowljesse wrote:In a silver '94 GS, with good compression, you'll get 1¼HP with a good CAI. WIth true ram air like mine, you'll get 2HP.
Jesse... Just curious to know which color would net the greatest increase in power?
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

:lol:
The color silver reflects heat, causing the air molecules around the car to be less dense, thereby...
I was kidding.
Here's another one; In Japanese culture, silver is regal, so the workers have a tendency to put more effort into building them...
I'm just making stuff up.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”