what is a megaSquirt?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
muttpower
antispam: No

Re: what is a megaSquirt?

Post by muttpower »

I got it now...I new I heard of MegaSquirt before...it's an advertisement for male enhancement...

"Tired of only squirting tiny C*mshots...Want to impress the ladys with a massive C*mshot??? Then try our new MegaSquirt! The ladies will love the cuploads of fresh....."

You get the point...any more quoting, and I'll get banned from this forum :lol: :laugh:
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

93vtecklr wrote:make sure the family filter is off hahaha
muttpower wrote:I know what it is, type in Mega Squirt as two words...then click on search images. BINGO!!!!

Yep, that's the combo. I could of sworn my filter was off, heh
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Was I the only one who DIDN'T think of ejaculation when I first read the topic?

Growing old is mandiatory,
Growing up is optional.

Not that I have the right to tell all you oldies that :P
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
melb30x

Post by melb30x »

A lot of posts for a topic that shouldn't have even been started.
Poor guy though, he is probably clueless, came on this forum to ask a few of his (although to us, stupid - to him important) questions only to be blown away by everyone.. he won't be back - I would laugh if it was a millionaire wanting to donate! :D

But i guess a google search would have been much easier than signing up to forum just to ask that question.
dash

Post by dash »

right, thanks for bashing me guys.
can we forget that i asked now?
Who else drives a stock silver 94 GS?
VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA
muttpower

Post by muttpower »

Right...sorry bout that man...I promise, no more "ejaculation jokes" from me from now on...at least on this topic anyways.
But yeah, welcome to the forum, and hopefully u don't get turned off from this site from a couple of us being smart@$$es...you really can find just about anything out on here...
dash

Post by dash »

melb30x wrote:A lot of posts for a topic that shouldn't have even been started.
Poor guy though, he is probably clueless, came on this forum to ask a few of his (although to us, stupid - to him important) questions only to be blown away by everyone.. he won't be back - I would laugh if it was a millionaire wanting to donate! :D

But i guess a google search would have been much easier than signing up to forum just to ask that question.
wasnt just for that question...
thought it would be easier than googleing (for some reason).

anyways, its a fuel management system, correct?
VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I'm just being stupid cause it seems I/we've had to hold alot of hands to help people in the last while cause they're getting less capable of even attempting to help themselves just a bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MegaSquirt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MegaSquirt is the registered trademark of an aftermarket electronic fuel injection (EFI) controller designed to be used with a wide range of spark-ignition internal combustion engines (i.e. not diesels) for learning about electronic engine controls. It is a complete standalone fuel injection controller with proven software and hardware, developed by Bruce Bowling and Al Grippo, engineers that work on the US East Coast. The software for the platform is open for modification (for use on Bowling and Grippo hardware only) project. The hardware provides for only fuel, ignition and idle air control in most cases, keeping the cost low (though there are user configurable outputs in most cases for other functions). The hardware is open in that the schematics are available for troubleshooting and educational purposes, but not for copying. The product is aimed at the DIY market as in most cases MegaSquirt requires assembly and tuning by the user. Basic costs can be below US$300 as of 2009, although this will vary widely depending on application.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
dash

Post by dash »

if i got one, could i potentially let it do the configuring and what not, or would i have to tinker and tune a whole bunch?
VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Megasquirt, combined with a wideband, will do it's own autotune, but a professional dynotuning would yeild more power and efficiency
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I got one, and put it in, and just put in the wideband O2 sensor, and controller. It has been more work than I've ever put into any upgrade.. and I've built and tuned tuned everything from 1 to 8 Cylinder engines. It's alot of headache (if you're right-brained like me). I'd rather push wrenches for twice as long than do all the reading, and trying to understand how to make it all work together. I still haven't gotten to tune it yet. It will definitely be worth it for me, since my engine is so far from stock.
The more mods you have, the more worth it it will be. That should be the motto for engine management systems!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
dash

Post by dash »

fowljesse wrote:I got one, and put it in, and just put in the wideband O2 sensor, and controller. It has been more work than I've ever put into any upgrade.. and I've built and tuned tuned everything from 1 to 8 Cylinder engines. It's alot of headache (if you're right-brained like me). I'd rather push wrenches for twice as long than do all the reading, and trying to understand how to make it all work together. I still haven't gotten to tune it yet. It will definitely be worth it for me, since my engine is so far from stock.
The more mods you have, the more worth it it will be. That should be the motto for engine management systems!
is it really that difficult? its computer software that you use, right?
VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Megasquirt itself is hardware - an aftermarket/DIY engine management unit. Programs like Megatune are the software used to tune it.

It can either overide (piggyback) or completely replace (standalone) the OEM ECU.

It can be difficult enough if you build it from scratch, or in my case there's a problem with the electronics that you just can't work out. On the other hand I found it easy to wire up to all the sensors except the RPM input. Being a DIY project it is certainly not plug and play, and with so many variations of the board and mods things can get confusing easily enough.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
muttpower

Post by muttpower »

In other words, unless you plan on going to a kl, or turbo, or some other high hp build, I'd hold off on the MS&S. Start with the basics first.
dash

Post by dash »

muttpower wrote:In other words, unless you plan on going to a kl, or turbo, or some other high hp build, I'd hold off on the MS&S. Start with the basics first.
yea. just thinking about stuff, thats all.
VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”