timing belt problem HELP

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdags94

Re: timing belt problem HELP

Post by mazdags94 »

melb30x wrote:As a rule of thumb, everytime your car needs a replacement timing belt you should also replace the tensioner - hence all the timng belt kits available.

Ive seen cars where the tensioner was put on the reverse, causing the tensioner to rip into the belt and make it shudder. Im not sure if this is possible in our cars as i havent done my timing belt yet, but i would say it is.
if you havent touched the tensioner, you probably should - it's a good place to start, and i would say if you're replacing the timing belt, tensioner should def. be new too.

Good luck.

melb30x

With our cars, it is next to impossible to install the hydraulic tensioner upside down. If you mean the tensioner pulley, then even that is next to impossible since any person with enough knowledge to perform a timing belt change should have the common knowledge of how to reassemble everything that is taken apart.

Sure it would rip into the timing belt, but you would immediately notice that the tensioner pulley was installed improperly before everything was put back together. I don't think that is the case here.

mazdapr, the tensioner pulley will pivot on the axis of the allen bolt. Are you saying that the bolt is too tight making it so that the pulley does not pivot? It should pivot, otherwise you may have forgotten to put the washer back in (between the pulley bracket and the block). Take a look because it could be pushing your belt closer to the engine this way (causing it to rub against the block).
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
melb30x

Post by melb30x »

Hm all I said is to check - I have seen tensioners put on reverse, and yes it's stupid but not everyone has their mind on the job 100% of the time. What I mean is that mistakes happen and I've seen them happen on a range of cars - cars on which I would otherwise deem it impossible to do.

I still think tensioner is a good start, not expensive and i would recommend changing it with every timing belt change. :)
mazdapr

Post by mazdapr »

mazdags94 i didnt forget to put the washer. i even torque the alen bolt to specs just to make sure and still the tensioner pulley doesnt pivot like it should. am guessing i got a defected pulley
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

I agree melb, especially after hearing what mazdapr just said. Maybe there is some corrosion between the bolt and the inner walls of the pulley bracket. I have one that is in decent shape I could sell you. If you live in the states I could ship it to you for 10 bucks. Ill even toss in the bolt for it.

What you could try first is to grease the bolt (high temp), but sand it down a bit first if theres any corrosion on it. I'ts strange that it doesnt pivot, but it would be a good idea to replace all pullies with timing belt kit.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”