A/C can't compete with Florida heat

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
zreon

A/C can't compete with Florida heat

Post by zreon »

Hey everyone!

The Florida heat is finally here for good. My car doesn't seem to be able to cool my car like it should. I have a blue car with a black interior. I have tinted windows and use a sun shade in my windshield. I have about a 45 minute commute home from work and my car never really seems to cool down. It is definitely better then having the windows down, but I feel it should be better.

I was doing a little research and was reading about this Freeze-12 and ES-12a refrigerant. Has anyone used this in their car? I am hearing both good and bad things about them. I checked my system about a month ago for leaks and checked the pressure and it all seems to be where it should be. I haven't had to fill up the A/C in the 2 1/2 years I have had it.

I've never rode in another mx-3 so I'm not sure if I am just expecting too much from a 14 year old car. Anyone else live in really hot weather have any problems with the cabin cooling down?
solo_ryder

Re: A/C can't compete with Florida heat

Post by solo_ryder »

What year is your car? If its a 92-93 which I'm guessing. Is it running R12 still? If so consider taking it to a shop to get it taken out and new R134a put in. That should help as the system will run cooler and more efficient on the new style freon. Hopefully that helps cool you down.

How often is your compressor kicking in and out?

I do not at all recommend those stupid diy kits either. Ppl say there good, but there not. Its good to have a shop do it as they will use a dye to check for leaks and put new oil in for the compressor.
zreon

Post by zreon »

It's actually a 95 4 cyl. I guess I should of mentioned that. So I am already running 134a. Do you think vacuuming the system and refilling it would help?
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

IF your system cools down the air, you shouldn't need to make vacuum. Chances are you just need to add some R-134a, which you CAN do yourself. Just buy a can of R-134a and the hose, and follow the instructions in the can. If you suspect you may be needing more than a full can, Advance auto parts have a can that already comes with the hose and gauge for about $25 or so, which comes with 18 oz. (1 1/2 can) of gas and stop leak, and which hose is compatible with standard cans. You will recognize it because the can is blue, and it's longer than normal cans (pretty much like an aerosol can). I think, for the money, that'd be your best investment.
Just make sure you read the instructions, and that you hook up the hose in the LOW PRESSURE SIDE ONLY!!! :shock:
You shouldn't be able to connect it to the high pressure side (the port is different), but I've seen people forcing it in anyways. Just so we're clear: if you connect it to the high pressure side and pull the trigger, THE CAN MAY BLOW UP IN YOUR FACE.

Where in Florida are you located?
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
zreon

Post by zreon »

Just checked my pressure yesterday. It is sitting right below 45psi so no problem there.

I am in the Orlando area.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

is it over 100 degrees there?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
zreon

Post by zreon »

Highest so far has been 98. It will be over 100 very shortly I am sure though.
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

zreon wrote:Highest so far has been 98. It will be over 100 very shortly I am sure though.
I agree. I'm in Miami, and the heat is unbelievable. Today it rained all day long, starting about 6 A.M. and even with the rain, stepping outside was like walking into an oven.

Anyways, back on topic: if your AC has good pressure, I think it's time to take it to an AC shop.
One thing you could do though, is check your condenser for dirt or other obstructions between the fins. One way to do that (without taking the radiator out) would be to run the AC at maximum power for a while (let's say half an hour or so) and check between the condenser and radiator for ice. If you do have ice formed in there, you need to take the radiator off (a pain in the a$$, but always better than disassembling the condenser itself) and clean the fins, and straighten them out if necessary.
And that is about all you can do at home. If that doesn't solve it, you need to go to an AC shop...and put your hands behind your head. :shock:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Sometimes the receiver/dryer goes bad, it has that wierd sac in there that can go bad with moisture or something...

... anyways, I'd say start there. It's super cheap. See if your compressor is cycling properly... Get a hatch privacy cover so you don't have to cool the whole hatch, other possibilities is maybe you need to clean out your evaporator coil... it could be gunked up with junk, since there's no cabin air filter...

Here's a link to help you familiarize yourself with the AC system in your B6

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=69675" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd start with the dryer.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”