Front/Rear Brakes

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Savvy

Front/Rear Brakes

Post by Savvy »

I have a standard (as you call it, stock) MX-3. I think mine is ur equivalent to a GS version? It's the V6 one anyway. As you can tell I have a EU MX-3, in the UK. As standard, I have front AND rear discs. However, looking at the MX-3 site, I see that the rear discs on your MX-3's are drums!!! IS this true for all US MX-3's??<P>I will need new front discs and pads soon, should this stop my braking from being spongy? Or is the braking always a bit spongy??<P>thanks,<P>Chris.
Maddbuck

Re: Front/Rear Brakes

Post by Maddbuck »

The GS (V6) Mx-3s have front and rear disks. The RS (4 Cyl) have front disks and rear drums.<P>changing brake pads may fix up spongy braking. :roll:
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris S:<BR><STRONG>I have a standard (as you call it, stock) MX-3. I think mine is ur equivalent to a GS version? It's the V6 one anyway. As you can tell I have a EU MX-3, in the UK. As standard, I have front AND rear discs. However, looking at the MX-3 site, I see that the rear discs on your MX-3's are drums!!! IS this true for all US MX-3's??<P>I will need new front discs and pads soon, should this stop my braking from being spongy? Or is the braking always a bit spongy??<P>thanks,<P>Chris.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>new pads, stainless steel brake lines, and good fluid should help the feel quite a bit.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Esper

Post by Esper »

replace the pads, and if it still feels spongy, get stainless steel brake lines and good brake fluid as Jesse advised. All GS models (V6) have rear disks, the RSs don't.
Dude.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Thanks all!<P>How much are them brake lines then? Is that just for front or for rear too?<BR>Or does it go to the master cylinder?<P>I want the pedal to feel really firm when i tap the brake, and so I don't have to apply much pressure.<P>At the moment I get quite a lot of wobble from the car when braking fairly hard (which you need to do quite alot when driving hard AKA racing :) ) so hopefully it should feel alot more steady with them new brakes etc
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris S:<BR><STRONG>Thanks all!<P>How much are them brake lines then? Is that just for front or for rear too?<BR>Or does it go to the master cylinder?<P>I want the pedal to feel really firm when i tap the brake, and so I don't have to apply much pressure.<P>At the moment I get quite a lot of wobble from the car when braking fairly hard (which you need to do quite alot when driving hard AKA racing :) ) so hopefully it should feel alot more steady with them new brakes etc</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>if its wobbling, then your rotors are warped, and you'll need new ones, or have your current ones turned. <P>Fluid, stainless lines, and pad selection will help the spongy feel. The lines usually run about 100-130 US dollars. They are for all 4 corners.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”