Carputer::Console v2.0

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
nightfire

Carputer::Console v2.0

Post by nightfire »

Hey everyone. I just thought I'd post some pics and info about my Carputer project. I've been working on version 2 of the software for the last few weeks and it's coming along nicely. If anyone is running a Linux carputer and is interested, you're welcome to the source; just let me know. :)

All screen shots scaled down, so they're a little blurry. They're in PNG format as well, so if you can't see them under IE (some versions don't support .PNG), try with Firefox.

First of all, this is what my installation looks like:
ImageImage

The top dial is a Logitech space navigator too-many-axis control knob. It's used for all sorts of functions.

And, the app itself. Media player:
Image Image

The media player supports both audio and video (using mplayer). You can seek through tracks and movies, play/pause, skip, change the volume, and many other functions using the space navigator (the dial at the top).

A major feature I wanted was a software crossover. Basically, instead of using passive or active electronic crossovers to filter frequencies from the various channels (ie. removing treble from subs, or bass from tweeters), I used an 8-channel sound card and amplifier to drive the speakers directly, using ALSA's LADSPA plugin functionality and high quality filters.

They're fully configurable from the interface.

Sound configuration
Image Image Image

Profiles can be created and used for different music types, driving conditions, etc.

FM radio is provided by a USB FM radio stick tied into the car antenna:

Nothing too fancy.

Ok, now on to the good stuff!

Hit mode, then vehicle instrumentation, and:
Image Image
Image Image

More information than you could hope for! Every running parameter in the system can be displayed as a gauge and/or graph. Tapping a gauge face zooms in and displays the graph on the right. The bottom right shot shows the effective force meter. Who needs a skid pad? :)

Information is collected from a number of sensors - an IMU (accelerometers/gyros), a GPS, and an OBD-II ECU link. The sensors are controlled and integrated from these panels:
Image Image

They use a complex series of algorithms for high resolution estimates of parameters like speed, even when the ECU isn't feeding data fast enough. It also guesses (quite accurately) the current gear and when you're shifting.

So what can you do with all this data? Well:
Image Image Image

For one, create dynographs! Yes, they're accurate (assuming you've correctly guessed your vehicle weight). You select your options and press launch. It waits for you to pop the clutch, then starts recording. If you tap the graph at the end, it saves a PNG file along with a .DAT containing data every 50ms of the run (configurable). This data includes engine RPM, throttle position, speed, forces, etc.

The data panels show historical peaks and trip information:
Image Image

If you select "Save trip data" then each time you shut down, it saves a log of your trip with all data logged every 500ms (configurable), for later analysis. You can learn things like how your intake air temperature affects timing advance, how speed affects milage, or even how music affects how you accelerate. :)

Finally, though I have no screen shots, it also runs Windows XP in a virtualbox instance when you click GPS navigation. XP then runs iNavigator to provide GPS navigation with sound. The XP window appears seamlessly inside the Carputer::Console frame.

Anyway, still a work in progress... but it's coming along. Comments?
Last edited by nightfire on June 6th, 2009, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Carputer::Console v2.0

Post by fowljesse »

That sounds awesome! If I could get one of those that would display MegaSquirt, I'd be totally set! I'd love to know how many lateral G's I can pull.
The pictures won't come up, though.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

fowljesse wrote:That sounds awesome! If I could get one of those that would display MegaSquirt, I'd be totally set! I'd love to know how many lateral G's I can pull.
The pictures won't come up, though.
Hmm... are you using firefox or IE? The pictures are in .png format and I'm not sure if IE supports that.
- Gord
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

Well I was getting tired of making a code change, and running down to my car to test it, and finding out it didn't have the desired effect. Since I obviously don't have a real engine running in my apartment reporting data, and coding in my car sucks, I created a simulator:

That little box on the left simulates the ECU, IMU, and GPS sensors. With it I can test how the instrumentation system responds to wheelspin, odd driving situations, sensor failure, and other things that are hard to reliably do in the car. Adding new complex actions (ie. accelerate, drive for 10 seconds randomly changing speed, then lock up the brakes) is very simple.

It helped me sort out a bunch of sensor bugs.
- Gord
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

NIce work!. I myself have a carPC as well. I know your using linux, but why not a slim down version of XP?
There are tons of software out there that already do what you need and you wouldnt have to do all the coding.

Heres a shot of mine.
...btw thats a spinning mazdaspeed logo.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I want.

Splain me more. Cost? difficulty? I don't want to install it in my dash though. Could I do it with a slightly larger screen? I would mount it on a swiveling mount from under the dash so I could fold it away above on top of the dash or unmount it and remove it from the car.

I'm pretty dumb about car electronics. Speak to me like a child.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

looks awesome, would it work for OBDI?
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

wytbishop wrote:I want.

Splain me more. Cost? difficulty? I don't want to install it in my dash though. Could I do it with a slightly larger screen? I would mount it on a swiveling mount from under the dash so I could fold it away above on top of the dash or unmount it and remove it from the car.

To be honest, they can be as cheap as you want them to be, or as expensive as you want them to be.
It's just a PC. You build it based on what you'll use it for. It needs to be one thats low power consumption. All integrated micro-atx and pico ITX are my suggestions. Im using a via m10000 board. Its a 1Ghz, but for what i use it for my and my cut down/tweaked version of XP, it works perfectly. If I were to build another Id get an SSD HD and SATA II.
Your most expensive parts are the power supply (if you get a good one) and the screen.. and dont cheap out on it (get a transflective).
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

wytbishop wrote:I want.

Well, cost depends entirely on the feature set you're looking for. Like CustomMX3 if you're just running a media player and nav software, you can get away with a single-core Atom or Via chip. If you're doing any heavy processing (like realtime performance charting, software audio crossover, HD video playback/recording, etc) you'll need more muscle.

I'm running a core2 duo @ 3.2ghz, and it's adequate for my needs... barely.

A related (and bigger, imho) problem to energy efficiency is heat. If you run a big CPU, it'll draw >100W and the box gets hot fast. I've got two 6000rpm 6cm fans drawing air through the case and expelling it out the back, and it still runs at about 50C inside the case. I also had to upgrade to a 250W power supply.

After a long drive (ie. 1-2 hours) the trunk is noticeably warm if I leave the hatch cover down.

It also drains the battery in about half an hour without the engine running.

So all in all, lower power CPUs and boards represent quite a gain if you can get away with it.

So, talking numbers, you're looking at around $200-500 for the touchscreen (depending if you want a transreflective screen which are better in daylight, though frankly with tinted windows a regular LCD is perfectly adequate during the day). Maybe more if you want some way of hiding it when it's not in use. You can get some single-din motorized units as well.

$500-2000 for the carputer. It'll come in a mini-itx or nano-itx case. $500 will get you a single core atom 1.6ghz host with 512mb ram and a 100gb spinning platter HD. $2000 will get you a core2 duo with decent power suplpy, 1-2gb ram and 32-64gb SSD.

You can use the onboard sound hardware to drive your amp(s). If you don't have an amp, you can use your head unit's line in (if you keep your headunit), or buy a 4-channel amp.

Wiring it up is straightforward. You'll have no trouble.

When it comes to software, I can only speak from my experience. Linux is, as usual, a challenge in any neiche environment. If you decide to go that route, be prepared to spend countless hours tuning things like device recognition, bootup/shutdown sequencing, keybindings, etc.

CustomMX3 can probably answer you better for Windows.
- Gord
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

That's really interesting guys. Thanks for explaining. I am not an audiophile, so the music is not at all the interest for me. I want the data logging. I would like to be able to have it interface with my engine management system and be able to alter fuel and timing maps. I don't even know if software like that exists...but I assume it must. I am no programmer though, so it would have to be plug and play. I can install software and troubleshoot some hardware, but I cannot begin to attack bugs in the code.

I will definitely do some research. Awesome thread man.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

I use datalogging through OBDII over USB, as well as multimedia, gps, dvd, games, ect with my single core, works just fine. I started building it for my platform 6 years ago with an m9000 board, tweaking, rebuilding, trying everyway I could to squeeze the most out of my board. Upgrading to the m10000 was a jump with the nehemiah core. I'd love to get a dual core for myself, but this one works perfectly. EWF FTW :)

Also, not bashing, but whats the point of HD content on a screen that will not even display HD resolutions? Its a bit of overkill isnt it?

As far as the screen goes, go with a transflective screen. I have 18% all the way around and 5% on the font, and the my screen still has problems with direct sunlight. The MX-3 may be a little better if you decide to mount it where the OP has his, which is where my screen was in my mx-3.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

WTF?!?!
I need to jump on this one! This is just f'n sexy.

Oh, and it looks like your dash sez "sex" With the time 8:05 and the EX shown next to it.. just something that caught my eye. What OBD2 SW are you runnin on the windows set up? I had no idea you can get an odb2 - usb. that's nutz.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Lol, you guys are talking like this carpc stuff is new stuff :P
Custommx3 wrote:I use datalogging through OBDII over USB, as well as multimedia, gps, dvd, games, ect with my single core, works just fine. I started building it for my platform 6 years ago with an m9000 board, tweaking, rebuilding, trying everyway I could to squeeze the most out of my board. Upgrading to the m10000 was a jump with the nehemiah core. I'd love to get a dual core for myself, but this one works perfectly.
I'm running the m10000 in the Xterra with Xp, works pretty good. The only thing that's frustrating is that the touchscreen on the LCE has been acting up alot, but that's not related to the PCI. Haven't gotten the OBDII adapter yes, but that's mostly because I picked up a code reader.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

This is the OBDII unit I'm using. You can get a cheaper one, but this is one has doubel buffering to keep up with the data flow.
http://www.obdpros.com/product_info.php?products_id=133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The software Im using is called DASHCOMMAND and PCMSCAN. You can get it at http://palmerperformance.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only way Id upgrade my board is if I decided to use a flash based interface, which is more CPU intensive.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

What do people do for OBD1?
My Worklog
My feedback thread

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”