Oil Oil Everywhere!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ooELMOoo

Re: Oil Oil Everywhere!!!

Post by ooELMOoo »

I have put most of the engine back together. Just going to go over everything tomorrow before I starter up.

I will do a compression test and let you know the results.

Thanks for all the help
----------------
| CUSTOM X3|
----------------
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

After thoroughly cleaning my TB and intake mani and building an intake, I just put a breather on my CC/PCV dealiethingymajigger
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

i was just wondering if there was anything being said about me or my old car. i'm sorry if you feel you got a raw deal with the car, but i said it had oil issues. i told you one of the rings was blown and it burned oil. i too, when i bought the engine, checked under the vc's and saw a lot of caked on oil and did my best to clean it off without taking it apart and soaking it. and thanks solo about gaskets, i too never put sealant and haven't had issues until this engine.

oh, and despite the fact i didn't drive her that often in the last year and a bit, i did make sure she was getting regular oil. i knew she needed a rebuild and i didn't have time/skill to do it myself and i said that from the beginning. if it was just a couple little things, i wouldn't have sold her obviously.

anyways, i didn't like the picture that was publicly being portrayed of me and felt i should chime in. sorry guys for selling my baby, i wish i didn't have to.
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
ooELMOoo

Post by ooELMOoo »

I Never said I got a raw deal! I know it had engine issues when I bought it. You told me about all the engine problems before I bought it. Sorry if you are being portrayed the wrong way.
----------------
| CUSTOM X3|
----------------
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Damn, yeah my engine does not look as bad as that yet it burns oil and fouls spark plugs.

You can rebuild that, nothing wrong with the idea, just do a real good job otherwise it might not come out so good.

It's a hard decision whether to rebuild or get another engine. Both are kinda risky. Both have their ups and downs. I am in the same boat lol. Not sure what to do.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

If you know what you're doing, then rebuild is usually better, eh? That way you're putting in new parts, and can be sure of the condition of the motor when you're done. Granted you don't do a half-assed rush job.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Whisper wrote:If you know what you're doing, then rebuild is usually better, eh? That way you're putting in new parts, and can be sure of the condition of the motor when you're done. Granted you don't do a half-assed rush job.
Yeah, if a place was doing it for you, would you trust them 100% ?

I have almost lost all faith in any "mechanics" these days
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
muttpower
antispam: No

Post by muttpower »

RX8SE3P wrote:
Whisper wrote:If you know what you're doing, then rebuild is usually better, eh? That way you're putting in new parts, and can be sure of the condition of the motor when you're done. Granted you don't do a half-assed rush job.
Yeah, if a place was doing it for you, would you trust them 100% ?

I have almost lost all faith in any "mechanics" these days
^^Glad I'm not the only one!!! Last time I was "Away" and my wife took my MX3 to have the brakes bled, they ended up taking off my front strut brace(still don't know why???) and then ended up putting it back on completely backwards. You would figure they would have known something was wrong when my brake master cylinder resivoir started to crack as they were tightening the strut brace, but nooooooo
That was the last straw for me though.
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

If you're having work done for you finding a shop with a good reputation and talking to the people who will work for you is part of the process. If I get a bad vibe from a guy or his shop is really dirty or disorganized I will go elsewhere.

I guarantee in every major city there is an engine shop where all the meticulous guys bring their engines. Find that guy.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

I strongly second that motion, find THAT guy. There is a big difference these days in a mechanic and a 'technician'. Don't find someone who is trained to fit parts, find someone that understands.....
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Great advice guys! I will definitely be finding a place that gives a good vibe. I might find out where all the nissan guys are getting their turbos engines rebuilt, and get a place like that to do all the things I can't.

93vtecklr - agree 100%. It's one thing to have someone who knows how to rip crap apart - it's a world of difference when someone actually understands the parts and how things work. I have idiots at my work who are the first example. They don't think about it and somehow lack the brain capacity to ever understand what they are doing lol.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

That's the thing about car work - you don't need to be very intelligent to take things out and put things in. That's why any 17 year old kid with a wrench and half a brain can sort out a car. Engineers at the factory have already done all the thinking. But when it comes to something that requires a bit of creativity, that's when most start to fail.

A lot of so-called technicians work by the book and think like mechanics, whereas they should really be thinking the way engineers do.

I've noticed there are ultimately three levels of going about doing car work:

1. The ghetto way
2. The right way
3. The elegant way

Level 3 is hard to reach and is super rare - it's typically reserved for THAT guy.

Funny thing is, though, the ghetto way and the elegant way can sometimes be one and the same.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”