Can I use this IM for ZE?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RX8SE3P

Re: Can I use this IM for ZE?

Post by RX8SE3P »

melb30x wrote:hm..some guy on astinagt posted some data on it..don't know if it was correct but i'm saying what i hear and read obviously and not from personal experiece.
but, i will try to find that data and show you then you can interpret.

either way, curved neck would still be easier to install wouldn't it?
Melb30x, the links before didn't work for me. They just went to some japanese cars website, no specs or anything though. EDIT: Found some specs now! Seems that Eunos 800 peak power is 6500 just like the MX6 but torque is 4800 instead of 5500 as previously said.

Anyways - the point I want to make is that I agree there is a difference between a curved neck engine and a straight neck BUT what you're doing is buying a straight neck motor, I assume, and putting a curved neck manifold on it. Technically it's not the same thing. It's going to be a full KL31 straight neck engine apart from the IM. Some curved neck engines have KL01 cams (perhaps other minor differences) and make torque earlier etc. Not sure of the exact details but it's technically not the same thing.

It will be a little easier to fit as you won't have to go and buy a slim battery, though that's not a hard thing to do. You can use the stock intake easier too, so that's also a positive. Apart from that it's not too hard to fit a straight neck engine in an Aussie car.

Btw, as Mnemonic said, the only way to test the difference of the manifolds is to dyno the exact same engine with the straight neck, then immediately swap the IM over to curved and dyno again in the same day. This is very hard as stripping the IM and putting another on is not that easy.

And even then if a difference was proved, it would only be minimal, I'm sure of this. But definitely go with curved neck if it's cheap enough. It will be easier to fit and you won't have to buy a slim batter or custom intake. Then you can sell your straight neck. So you can def save more money by using the curved, providing it's cheap enough and not something silly like 400 bucks.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Just to note here in a seperate post, anyone notice the capella wagon has a ZE too and it's 4WD. That gearbox would be what you'd need for a 4WD ZE conversion!
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

RX8SE3P wrote:[Some curved neck engines have KL01 cams (perhaps other minor differences) and make torque earlier etc.
All curved-neck ZE's come with 01 cams. Is said that the tower torque with the curved-neck is because it's paired only with an automatic transmission.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
melb30x

Post by melb30x »

I guess this discussion could go on forever with both sides arguing over who is right. But, like you already said - dyno same car with different manifolds on same day is the only way to do it really. Anyone up for it? :D
melb30x

Post by melb30x »

RX8SE3P wrote:Just to note here in a seperate post, anyone notice the capella wagon has a ZE too and it's 4WD. That gearbox would be what you'd need for a 4WD ZE conversion!
thats' very interesting...maybe the next big hype for mx-3's will be 4wd conversions!!
mazda___mx3
antispam: No

Post by mazda___mx3 »

nice links thanks
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

melb30x wrote:I guess this discussion could go on forever with both sides arguing over who is right. But, like you already said - dyno same car with different manifolds on same day is the only way to do it really. Anyone up for it? :D
I actually was thinking about this... I have a spare straight neck... I would have to fit the straight neck prior to going to the dyno since the brake booster is right there...

would be easier for a RHD mx-3 :roll:
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

melb30x wrote:
RX8SE3P wrote:Just to note here in a seperate post, anyone notice the capella wagon has a ZE too and it's 4WD. That gearbox would be what you'd need for a 4WD ZE conversion!
thats' very interesting...maybe the next big hype for mx-3's will be 4wd conversions!!
indeed nice find!! looks like it was only for 2 years... 97-98 Capella Wagon GW5R

I actually really like the body kit on the 97 :love:
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I was also interested in the 4WS option on the mx-6, millenia, and Eunos 800 that all had kl-ze's... I had never heard of 4WS so I read the mx-6 wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_MX-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; pretty cool stuff!

I also was looking up the other i-4 engines and found this: http://www.protege323.com/content/24_engines/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: lol just realized... triple post FTW haha
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

If I ever get around to it I will undertake the test someday. I am running straight neck right now. It would be pretty easy for me to swap to a curved IM.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”