Lazzer's MX3 "novelty turbo" build thread

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
lazzer408

Lazzer's MX3 "novelty turbo" build thread

Post by lazzer408 »

This is just a daily driver that I decided to boost for the hell of it. I started off with a GTX mani off ebay and a VJ-11 off of a Prove or MX6 or something like that. I used a Probe outlet housing and bought a Probe downpipe from Napa and shortened it to fit. I also tossed in some Probe injectors to fatten up the a/f but other then that it has no engine management, yet. I was at the junk yard not too long ago and found a Capri. I grabbed the entire turbo setup, from head to throttle body for $25. =) I modified the Capri's IC so it could be located under the hood of the 3 just in front of the battery. The hood then gets a scoop but I haven't cut the hole yet. I'm still considering a water to air IC. The Capri turbo is a VJ-14 which looks like the same size turbine wheel as the 11 but a smaller turbine housing. The compressor housing is about the same as the 11 but a smaller wheel. It spools MUCH faster then the VJ-11 did. Here's some pics of the mocked up intercooler-less pvc-piped rig job. Then some of the VJ-14 with the Capri IC. One of the IC tubes was cut off, pluged, and moved to the other side. I need to clean up this engine bay again and put my shiny stainless heat shield back on ...as soon as I get that broken bolt out of the manifold. Work in progress. :wink:
osargeant

Re: Lazzer's MX3 "novelty turbo" build thread

Post by osargeant »

Post some details of the setup like fuel mgmt, ignition control, injectors, boost levels etc. It looks like a nice budget setup, how is it performing?
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
inferno94

Post by inferno94 »

Yay interwarmer.......

You should add a scoop to feed cold air to that cooler or get a probe fmic, they work great.
lazzer408

Post by lazzer408 »

I also tossed in some Probe injectors to fatten up the a/f but other then that it has no engine management, yet.
The hood then gets a scoop but I haven't cut the hole yet. I'm still considering a water to air IC.
When the boost comes on it'll spin 1st and 2nd. It wouldn't do that on it's own. 3rd 4th and 5th slip the clutch.

VJ-11 was at 6psi.
VJ-14 is at 8psi.

Unless I take out the a/c I can't fit an intercooler in the bumper. The Capri IC isn't much different then a Probe IC. I've used Probe ICs before on my first DIY Miata setup.
lazzer408

Post by lazzer408 »

I'm selling this whole engine/trans/turbo. $500
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Love the heatshield.
Cody
Egfconnor

Re: Lazzer\\\'s MX3 \\\"novelty turbo\\\" build thread

Post by Egfconnor »

im thinking of doing something like this to my car...how well did it perform? did you get a rising rate regulator or what? would you reccomend it? thanks alot :)
Egfconnor

Post by Egfconnor »

any information you could give to me? i drive a 1994 mazda mx-3 rs, thinking of doing some sort of setup like this, you didnt use any fuel management or anything on yours? not even a rising rate regulator? didnt the engine lean out? thanks alot and fast response is appreciated :)
Egfconnor

Post by Egfconnor »

anyone have info on this??? im still thinking of doing it..
mazdaspeedx6

Post by mazdaspeedx6 »

sup i wanted to know if ur still running the setup with the b6de motor and the vj turbo im in need of downpipe setup and looking around i read that u used one from a probe. i need to see a pic of ur downpipe to see where i need to cut also where did u order it from i need a link to the site if u dont mind
mazdax3speed

Post by mazdax3speed »

that intercooler is 100%pointless
probably hurts your powerband actually, its just a drop in pressure with no cooling effect
Orange 95' BPT GT28r, MSII on the way
lazzer408

Post by lazzer408 »

I have an extra B6 manifold if someone can use it. Shoot me a PM/offer. I don't think I have any extra turbos. I'll have to look around. I thought I had a vj-14 somewhere.
The downpipe 'housing' can be used off the probe. The downpipe itself can also come from the probe but you'll have to shorten the section that points upwards towards the outlet housing. That's what I did anyways. I bought the pipe new at Napa and cut it. Bring your outlet housing with you to make sure the 3 bolt flange lines up with the housing.
As far as engine management... I backed the distributer way off and the factory 1:1 regulator worked "ok" for a few psi. I have an FIC wired in now using the B6 ECU on a BP engine. No codes. =)
mazdax3speed wrote:that intercooler is 100%pointless
probably hurts your powerband actually, its just a drop in pressure with no cooling effect
Ya think? I believe I mentioned it being useless and planed on cutting a hole in the hood for a scoop. No need to post the obvious. :wink:
porebski

Post by porebski »

Nice set up man.
lazzer408

Post by lazzer408 »

Car is now sold. =( But thats ok because I now have a mint SVX =)
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

This looks alot like my forst turbo kit. I ran 310cc injectors and a VJ14 hybrid, on a B6DE. worked great, only real differance is I mounted my probe IC under the car in front of the trans in that little space. So i would get cold air. and i used a boost snsitave FPR and a walbro 255. it was great i was putting down almost 250. again on a built B6 and at 14psi. It can be done and done cheep and effectively. my only real problem was I had crappy hose clamps and my pipes werent flaired and at 14psi they would blow off every now and then.

Return to “Forced Induction”