The newest guy from the Chicago area - already wrenchin' ...

This section is for NEW members to introduce themselves.
JustAdam
antispam: No

The newest guy from the Chicago area - already wrenchin' ...

Post by JustAdam »

So, I bought this car on Saturday and here is what I have done so far:

Distributor oil seal (when I bought it for $1600 USD, I think I got it cheap because it had a major oil leak - lol)
Oil change with filter (what a b---- of a place to put that thing!)
Fuel filter (yeah, that was fun too)
Basic intake (Cone filter from the MAF)

I think thats it so far, it already had new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and the tires look great too!

I will be doing some suspension mods in the future I hope, starting with poly bushings all around, and then struts/spring combo along with strut tower brace front and rear.
But first, I will be doing some work on the brakes - stainless lines, slotted rotors, better pads and flushing the whole system with some dot 4.

In the past I have gone a little overboard my friends have told me, take a look at my last real project by going to my cars site - yes, I had my own site/page dedicated to the build - http://www.straightfocus.com/tt (it was an Audi TT called UneekTT - go ahead and search it on Google for anything and I am sure you will see - lol) :lol:

Anyway, now I have the MX-3 - and even though its a little 4 cyl it has a little pep in its step, and I think I will like this community alot, you guys have already helped me with the oil leak I had (and I will be doing the valve cover soon and painting the top too!)

Eventually, I will get some sounds, and maybe and extra set of wheels and a mild body kit too - lol

Nice to meet some of you already, hope to meet you all at a meet or show someday!

Peas,

Adam

(Pictures might happen someday, but right now it needs some work, both front and rear bumper covers, and little dents all around, as well as I would really like to paint it white someday - other than that, just use your imagination as to what a stock '94 MX-3 looks like in Green with some dents - lol)
1994 Green MX-3 4cyl. roll up windows with A/C - and it runs pretty good too!
boosted_bullet

Re: The newest guy from the Chicago area - already wrenchin' ...

Post by boosted_bullet »

welcome!
eljin eh? up north.

we should have a mx-3 meet soon
chicks dig the rice!

-bullet
Savin

Post by Savin »

Yes, welcome to the club! Glad you're already getting some wrench time on the mx.
And yes, stupid place for the oil filter, or.... stupid place for the exhaust. :lol:

Oooo, where'd you happen to find your mx? It isn't by chance this green one on Craigslist, is it?
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Welcome!.
I love those things that seem like a good idea (for someone else) to sell the car cheap!
You're in for as big an adventure as you choose it to be!
Ouyt of about 30 cars I've modded, I've never done as much to one as I have with the MX-3, unles you count my 33' RV, but that's a whole different catagory!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
JustAdam

Post by JustAdam »

That would be the one - do you know this car more than I do already?
Savin wrote:Yes, welcome to the club! Glad you're already getting some wrench time on the mx.
And yes, stupid place for the oil filter, or.... stupid place for the exhaust. :lol:

Oooo, where'd you happen to find your mx? It isn't by chance this green one on Craigslist, is it?
Savin

Post by Savin »

Nope. I know nothing about it, lol. I was considering buying it though, but not anymore! I just simply saw it on craigslist; a green '94 4cyl from Chicago area for around $1600. It was a good chance that it was yours, and it is!
Can't wait to see pics/progress pics when you start doing mods to it. :welder:
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
JustAdam

Post by JustAdam »

That is exactly it - and I did pay the whole $1600 too - mostly because after my research, and lurking on this site for a couple weeks, I noticed that this is a special car, not too many out there, and it shares a lot of parts with a couple other cars, so it was a chance to own a car that will cost little to run, and will run for a while with no major issues. This is one of the few small non-interference motors matched with a unique body that is before 1995 (no emissions testing for me - lol) and once I drove it, I knew I would be content - I just need a little more power, but not enough to want to not so great gas mileage of the V6.

Anyway, would love to set up a meet sometime, get to hang out and talk cars. I actually owned my own forums for a while, and since sold it and it is still alive too - IllinoisEuro.com was mine, but now I am not able to finance the Euro car of my dreams so I sold out - lol

Lets get a meet going - the weather is getting nicer and even though mine does not look that great, it runs pretty damn good!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Welcome and enjoy the car! I'm sure you will!
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
boosted_bullet

Post by boosted_bullet »

woot!

ill be in chicago july 11th for hot import nights :mrgreen:
chicks dig the rice!

-bullet
Savin

Post by Savin »

boosted_bullet wrote:woot!

ill be in chicago july 11th for hot import nights :mrgreen:
x2
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

You should have fixed the oil leak by dropping a BP engine and turbo in LOL.

If you're looking for a bodykit, I'd advise against anything except mazdaspeed and mazdaspeed "knock off" reproductions...I think they keep the lines of the car the best!

Are you getting poly bushings from the group buy that's going on? They're your best bet :-D

Also, get a whiteline sway bar for your back - will help w/ understeer since the 4banger doesnt come with a rear sway bar stock.

For struts/springs, I am enjoying my ZX2/b&g setup, nice drop and ride is firm. There are a few other options as well.

For ~1000-2000 you can redo your whole suspension including ball joints depending on what level of stuff you want to get.

~300USD for bushings
150 for sway bar
50 for endlinks
250 for struts (zx2 shipped)
200 for springs (b&g)
150 new strut mounts w/ bearings (for zx2)
50 for ball joints
50 for tie rod ends
30 for cam bolts since you will be lowering
100 for misc.

You don't have to do everything at once either, but doing these will completely change the characteristics of your car :)
JustAdam

Post by JustAdam »

WOW - Thanks a ton Romeo - I will keep the suspension list you have in mind! And yes, I am for sure trying to go with the group buy for the bushings, if I can keep my money from my wife - lol

Also, July 11th (Savin and Boosted) I will not be able to attend this year, not only is my car not even close to ready, but also I have family stuff going on - but I did take 1st place in my category 2 years in a row with the TT - and now that its gone I was thinking of selling my kick a-- trophies - but not yet, maybe soon though!

Return to “Introduction Forum”