K8 very rough from above idle to 2,000 rpm SOLVED!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fowljesse
Supporting Member

K8 very rough from above idle to 2,000 rpm SOLVED!

Post by fowljesse »

My K8 stopped running after I did a compression test, at which time, I unplugged the fuel rails, but forgot to stop the fuel pump. I replaced the coolant temp sensor, because I broke it, and the disty because I thought it was the problem. Then I got the other MX-3, and let the K8 one sit for about 5 months. I looked into it again yesterday, and the timing was way off, so I set it, and now it idles fine, but almost dies with any throttle, unless I barely feather it. If I let out the clutch, it almost dies, unless it's above 2,000 rpm. It drives fine at partial throttle, as long as it doesn't drop below 2,000 rpm, and I keep the throttle light..
I'm going to swap in a good MAF, when I can get one (in about a week).
Any other ideas?

EDIT: It was the distributor.
Last edited by fowljesse on May 19th, 2009, 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Re: K8 very rough from above idle to 2,000 rpm

Post by FlyVFR »

Sounds like the old crack in the TB Fresh air intake rubber hose. :evil:

BTW, if you need a JE50 I have one listed FS
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Thanks, but, I've got a solid CAI with no leaks, and Mooneggs is going to let me borrow his, and buy it, if needed.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Drain all old gas and run some injector (or fuel system) cleaner. If you have the injectors out - its a good idea to clean them with some acetone or something..... If you had the fuel lines open to air (after filter) make sure you clean them and possibly change the fuel filter.
Since it had been sitting - check oil level/condition....
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Cool. Thanks. I'll do it.
I changed the filter while it was down.
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

wondering how this turned out for you? just picked up a 300 dollar mx3 that "apparently" needs a head gasket..but doesnt show any signs of actually needing one, other than the fact it runs like you described...it has a total makeshift intake consisting of exhaust tubing coming off the throttle body bent to a 90, connected to the vaf/cone..i noticed the piping was quite warm after it ran so im thinking he cooked the sensor? that and its upside down.
ImageImageImageImage
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Sorry. I thought I concluded this.
It turned out I had a bad distributer that got weak at higher rpm. I put in a good one, and voila! The car has driven great since then :)
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

thanks..ill check that...i know its something stupid and small like that.
ImageImageImageImage
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ahh, another happy ending. I love this kind of story.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Yeah bad disty can do that.

I tried out a probe disty on my MX3 and it idled fine for a while then would just die. Then I couldn't get it to stay on, kept stalling and then when it misfired once it was obvious that the disty was crap and when it got hot it stopped working.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

the K8 is telling you to replace it ith a KL...
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

lol it sure is...

i had a better chance to drive the car today and find out exactly how it runs (since it was stored in another city)..it idles very low, at like 400-500 rpm..it idles fairly smoothly though and it wont stall..however the moment u give it gas it bogs until right around 2500rpm..than it pulls hard like theres nothing wrong at all..until you get up to about 5500rpm..than it starts to bog again..i was told it needed head gasket, but it shows no signs of needing one....especially with how strong it runs between those rpms. does this sound like a maf or disty issue?.im leaning tworards the timing being off?? it backfired once one me so that makes me think..i want to do the klze swap but if i can get this thing running right (for cheap) than it means i can put even more $$ into the swap :welder:
ImageImageImageImage
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'm thinking spark issue.. It could backfire if unburned gas ignites in the exhaust, and unburned gas would be there if there is a spark issue. However, if there's a MAF issue, it could be dumping gas in there.
I think you should read your spark plugs.
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

plugs/wires/cap all brand new..from what i was told..the timing belt was replaced a few weeks ago, than it started to run rough..so his mechanic told him it needed a tune up..so that was done..and the problem didnt go away..so the mechanic told him its a head gasket..i have bills for all the parts replaced and if you ask me the mechanic was taking this guy for a ride. :shrug:..it has to be a timing issue?! :confused2:

*EDIT*..rummaging through the reciepts again, i found a peice of paper with instructions on how to install one of those nifty hightech resistor mods on the IAT/CTS.. :crying:...i guess ill be looking for that as soon as i get some day light..ill be sure to throw it as far away from the car as possible once i find it too.
ImageImageImageImage
JHZ

Post by JHZ »

Did you manage to solve this mate? My K8 has exactly the same problem and it's driving me nuts.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”