Turbo block off plate?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
hgallegos915

Turbo block off plate?

Post by hgallegos915 »

Does anyone know if they even make it or sell it?

I was thinking of fabricating or purchasing a plate that goes on the hot side housing where the turbo usually sits to temporarily be able to drive the car whenever turbo starts giving problems. I dont care about power losses. Just getting to work lol.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mazdamx3freak

Re: Turbo block off plate?

Post by mazdamx3freak »

I dont understand what you are trying to do here. its not making sense. you can unbolt the turbo downpipe and just run the collector header. :shrug:
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

hehe well don't block it off, you'd be in trouble then! I guess what you mean is a bypass pipe that has the same fittings as a turbo, without the turbo? Like a turbo with no shaft? Could you strip a rubbish one?
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

No, what I mean is a plate that goes over where the hot sideof the turbo is, the flange. I tested this using a core turbo center cartridge I have. Reason why I would do this is because I messed up my turbo by regulating the oil way to much, so now it smokes.

Im about to sell the eclipse and the mx3 would be my only car for about a week or two. I need it to drive 20 miles round trip to work and back. I dont want to get pulled over for the car smoking.

I understand the method you said, but it would be easier to just block off the turbo side of the t3 flange.

yes a gturbo with no shaft but something blocking the holes.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

what side are you planning to block off. The flange to the turbo mani or the flange to the tubo down pipe? Either way, I think the answer is no. You will be better off making a new exhaust that will bolt to the mani so you can just pull the turbo if need be.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

The flange on the turbo side.

I may not have to do it anymore since I got a new seal coming, but in an emergency, it wuld be nice to just block it off and drive wherever i need to.

It would be a temporary solution, in no means permanent.

The other option that I have is to reinstall the n/a header downpipe.. which requires me to remove the cross member which is something that I would hate to do again if the turbo is going to be off for just around 3 days.
-hec

RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

hgallegos915 wrote:The flange on the turbo side.
- so... we're talking down pipe? Exhaust/turbine. Umm if that gets blocked, you have no exhaust. It sounds like you need more of a diversion before the turbo like a very large external waste gate. This would have to be fab'd into the turbo mani and I doubt will be cheap or easy to do. Then you'd probably need a QTP style electronic cut out so it does not conflict with your turbo.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

http://www.carrentals.com/?cid=12175&ch ... =El%20Paso" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or you can rent a car, or just ask a friend who has 2 cars. :) Or heck, check out craigslist, Get a $500 car, use it for a week, then resell it!
short4stuff

Post by short4stuff »

all you would need is an old exhuast turbo housing... and a welder.
Weld up the side where the shaft goes throw. Bolt it up.
Put a filter on the intake pipe.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

most exhaust sides of turbos are cast... making welding a PITA.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

no no noyou guys lol

I guess im not being clear..

on the exhaust side would stay bolted to the pipes (hence the flow of exhaust is uninterrupted)

what I was planning of doing is making a plate that would BOLT up using the SIX bolts on the flange on THE TURBO SIDE.

I would not block exhaust flow at all.

I think I got an idea of what imma do. Imma weld a screw on the hot side of a bad turbo housing that I have and s--- it closed, and bolt it to the turbo pipe. Thats only to be used when I really need the car.

I tought I was going to sell my eclipse but I guess the person interested wasnt really that interested..
-hec

RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I still can not picture what you are seeing. By saying "turbo side" I guessed you were talking downpipe..
either way, your car will be really sluggish with poor throttle response if you don't shorten the air intake to tb. You'd pretty much have to remove the ic pipe and put a standard cold air intake on as well. I agree with BuGS.. rent a car or get a beater. Other wise plan on having secondary intake and exhaust systems that you'll be switching all the time.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

surely you'd need a pipe like this if you removed turbo?

That's the only way it can cleanly exit the car surely?

Then just put a cone filter on your intake like stock.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
View Worklog
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

marcdh wrote:surely you'd need a pipe like this if you removed turbo?

That's the only way it can cleanly exit the car surely?

Then just put a cone filter on your intake like stock.
WOW thats EXACTLY what I was talking about... where did you see this? WHERE!?
-hec

marcdh

Post by marcdh »

:lol: I feel bad now, I photoshopped it!
View Worklog

Return to “Forced Induction”